Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2006, 07:27 PM   #1
ariel

Default Yataghan: provenance?

Here is one that just ended
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
The blade is generic and the handle is rather cheap painted(?) wood and has small rounded and nonprotruding ears.
I am intrigued by the scabbard: doesn't it look N. African, kind of Moroccan to you? Also, Yataghans were carried stuck under the belt. This one has a baldric (?) and was obviously carried hanging on the side/hip.
If I am correct, can we say that this particular type of the handle is of a N.African variety? This would be similar to the big-eared black horn ones coming from the Balkans etc.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I am intrigued by the scabbard: doesn't it look N. African, kind of Moroccan to you? Also, Yataghans were carried stuck under the belt. This one has a baldric (?) and was obviously carried hanging on the side/hip.
Scabbard has a lot of similarities with typical flyssa.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

It does indeed. It does not always mean the wrong knife in the wrong scabbard. I think ariel brought to light, last year/this year, a saber with an eared handle that was either from the horn of Africa or the Arabian peninsula.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Emanuel

Hello,

In the article "Sabre Kabyles," Camille Lacoste-Dujardin talks about Ottoman yataghan blades being imported in Algeria and completely refitted by local craftsmen. There are even occasions of locally-forged yataghans by smiths who may have learned their craft in Turkey or other places within the empire.
Lacoste specified that the handles were far simpler than the classical Ottoman, merely hinting at the twin-earned originals. Perhaps this is such an example.
The scabbard has the same treatment as flyssa, so it's interesting to see how foreign models were completely adapted to local traditions/preferences.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Valjhun

I noticed it and I wanted to hear a comment about it on this forum, but I guess that all glory goes to Ariel now . I vote for Maghrib also. The fact that the seller is from France can only justify that thesis, I suppose. Interesting piece, is the first time I see one like that.

Last edited by Valjhun; 18th March 2006 at 11:20 PM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 03:57 AM   #6
ariel

Glad all of you agree. Perhaps, we have learned something useful in general terms from this example. Artzi got it, but I expect him being in Timonium next couple of days ( I am so very sorry I couldn't go, but I am on a special work assignment this month and could not leave town). I guess it would be extremely interesting to hear what he has to say about this piece.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote