Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th June 2009, 05:07 AM   #1
harimauhk

Default My Batak Keris...my first post

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, and I decided it was finally time to ask Lee if I could participate on this board to share information with (and learn from) the great people here.

I purchased this Batak keris a few months ago. Apparently, it was brought back from the Lake Toba area in the '70s. The blade is supposedly from the 17th century, although I don't know if I believe that. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Attached Images

harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
harimauhk

A couple more pics...
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Emanuel

Hello Harimauhk,

Welcome to the forum. First thing, this thread is most appropriate in the Keris Warung Kopi, the keris forum. Moderators will quickly move it I imagine.

Second thing is...sorry, you got snookered. This is a tourist keris-like object. The same thing happened with my very first "keris". A "lake Toba" example but with "gold" kinata. I was disgusted when I received it.

Yours has solder applied to the surface to imitate pamor. Tough lesson but that's how it goes.

Third thing...don't let this discourage you Take the time to read all of the material on this site, there's loads. Then you can purchase a real keris and go on from there.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Another guilty party here too !
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the forum Harimauhk. I am afraid that Emmanuel is exactly right. This is a 20th century tourist object and it would be unfair to really call it a keris. I don't mean to be harsh, but it's just the facts. I think most of us have at some point in our collecting careers been taken in a similar matter. I hope it won't turn you off to collecting keris. They are indeed beautiful, wonderful and fascinating things. If you stick around this forum you will no doubt learn much from our large and knowledgeable membership and avoid such a mistake in the future.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Another guilty party here too !
Actually Rick, i think you actually have a real blade there, albeit, not a very good one.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

True David , but the rest is quite similar .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
harimauhk

Thanks guys! I actually had no idea it was a tourist item. I have a few more keris--hopefully I have at least one good one
Old 25th June 2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimauhk
.. I've been lurking for a while, and I decided it was finally time to ask Lee if I could participate on this board to share information with... Apparently, it was brought back from the Lake Toba area in the '70s. The blade is supposedly from the 17th century, although I don't know if I believe that. What do you guys think?
Hi Harimauhk, welcome to the keris forum .. I agree with what have been mentioned about your keris. North Sumatra, Medan, Lake Toba area is notorious for selling touristy souvenir kerises.. not a good place to look for real ones, imho.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote