Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th November 2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default African Knife???

I purchased this what I believe to be African knife mostly because I have never seen another like it and it looked most interesting even though it was in terrible condition when first found. Now that it has received a bit of TLC I would like to know more about it. I still need to make a toe piece to replace the one now missing from the end of the leather scabbard and hope that someone will kindly post another example so the replacement will look correct when finished. Photos below show current condition as well as two photos showing the condition it arrived in. Any help on where this piece was originally made and its possible age or any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Total length of knife is 12-1/2 inches
Blade length is 8-1/2 inches
Hilt is 4 inches
Blade at widest point is 1-1/2 inches
Blade thickness at hilt is 1/8th inch

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Kubur

Very good cleanning!
From the leather i would say Tchad or Niger
the date? 1950-70ties
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Kubur and thank you for the information and kind words on the cleaning of this piece. Niger was where the seller had indicated this knife had originally originated from, but as I could find no other examples from that area that matched this piece I thought it best to ask. Do you know if the missing toe piece for this scabbard would have been made from the same thin steel sheeting as the upper scabbard band? There is no evidence that a leather piece was ever sewn on in that area, but there is a shadow (for lack of a better term) of were some form of toe piece would have originally been. Can you possibly tell me what if anything other than knife that this might have been called by? Again, thank you very much for your response and the information you have given. Anyone else out there have any photos of other examples of this style of knife and scabbard or other information that you would like to share on this piece?

Best,
Robert
Old 10th November 2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Richard G

This one was described as a 'Tuareg' dagger
Regards
Richard
Attached Images

Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Helleri

The leather looks significantly darker in the restored images. I do hope you didn't use a stain without re-hydrating it first.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 12:05 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Richard, Thank you for posting the photo of your Tuareg knife. While there are some differences in the knives themselves such as the guards they do appear quite similar in overall styling. The scabbards also have a lot in common with the metal banding towards the throat and the use of a metal toe piece. Again, thank you for sharing.

Helleri, To answer your question, the leather scabbard has not been re-stained or any color agent applied. It was first cleaned with saddle soap to remove the built up dirt and filth, then after being allowed to dry properly it received an application of mink oil to rehydrate the leather and bring back the color.

Best,
Robert
Old 11th November 2018, 09:42 PM   #7
Sajen

Hello Robert,

after looking again and again to your knife I would agree with Richard, I think that it is a Tuareg knife. The scabbard look like this.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 04:00 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, As you have pointed out, after enlarging the photos and comparing these two pieces closely I have to agree that Richard is correct in his assessment that this is a Tuareg knife. There are differences in that the blade on my example has a sharpened false edge and the guard itself is much heaver than the one on Richards example, but the overall styling of these two knives are the same. This holds for the scabbard as well though now I will have to make a much more elaborate toe piece than I had originally thought would be necessary. Thank you all for your interest, comments and especially for identifying who, where and when this piece was made. As the piece shown in Richards photo is the only other example I have seen I would still appreciate if anyone else could furnish photos of other examples of this particular style of knife.

Best,
Robert
Old 12th November 2018, 05:40 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
This holds for the scabbard as well though now I will have to make a much more elaborate toe piece than I had originally thought would be necessary.
Hello Robert,
are you sure that this (IMHO) nice knife is worth the effort? I for my part I think it's nice in the present condition after your great TLC.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote