Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 15th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Question Identification Help Needed

Just won this item on epray so I do not have it in my possession yet but would very much appreciate everyones help on identifying what is is. To me it looks like it could be a parang of some sort or just as likely be some kind of farm tool. It is 18 inches in total length with an 8 inch handle. The cutting edge is on the inside of the blade. I found the picture below that shows a group of items that has one that is very similar in overall appearance here http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...parang+bengkok The other two are from the auction. Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 16th November 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Timo Nieminen

Looks very similar to this (Parang Ginah): http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=2524

When I saw it (the one you bought), I assumed that it was an agricultural tool. Looked nice, but I have enough sickles/billhooks (I don't really collect them, just use them as tools).

I assumed it was probably European, but your question made me look more closely. I can't find any close European match, so perhaps it is a Parang Ginah.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Timo, Thank you for your thoughts on this. When I first noticed this I did a search for any agricultural tools like tobacco knives or anything else I thought it could possibly be. The wood of the hilt is not the normal ash, oak or hickory that you would expect to find on most American made cutting tools. I remembered seeing a thread here on the forum that showed a parang bengkok and after a few searches found the one picture above. I put in a minimal bid on it thinking if it turned out to be of no great interest I could use it around the house for cutting brush. Needless to say I was quite surprised when my bid turned out to be the only one. Hopefully it will turn out to be a parang ginah or bengkok and not just an old weed wacker. Again thank you for your reply and for the link to the other example.

Regards,
Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 16th November 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Henk

Parangh Ginah definitely.

My geographic teacher at high school had some Borneo stuff on the wall. Among that a parang ginah. I recognized it immediately. He lived in Borneo he had told us and when we didn't wanted to have a difficult lesson about geography we asked him where he got that stuff on the wall from.
Bingo!! Of course he started to tell about his childhood and youth in Borneo. It was at the time that the Dayak people where turned into Christians. And a good Christian didn't woreship skulls from enemies. And certainly didn't have a weapon to chop heads off. The priest told them to get rid of these things and the Dayak went to the villages where the Dutch lived and went from door to door selling skulls and weapons.
My teacher wanted to buy some skulls but his mother didn't approve it Always mothers and wives
He was very disapointed so his mother allowed him to buy some weapons to support the poor Dayak in his new religious believe.

I still remember him and even still know his name. Mr. Meyer, leaning backwards in his chair, smoking his pipe when he told us these stories. Those good old days.
Old 16th November 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Henk, Thank you for the help in identifying this item and for the great story! Unfortunately the only teacher that I had an interest in anything even remotely like ours collected swords and daggers from a certain German Military faction that I do not feel comfortable in mentioning. While my wife likes to make fun of my collection she does from time to time surprise me by adding a few new additions to it herself. A few years ago I had the chance to acquire a trophy skull but like your teachers mother, that is where she drew the line. I will not go into her line of reasoning for my not purchasing said item but needless to say it was quite convincing. Thank you again for your help.

Regards,
Robert
Old 17th November 2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Sajen

Hi Robert,

agree, it is a Parang Ginah. Please clean the blade since there will be a lamination. Good find again!!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 17th November 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef and thank you for your thoughts on this. As soon as it arrives I will clean the blade and might even do a light etch with vinegar to see what shows up before posting new pictures.
By chance does any forum member have an example of a parang ginah like this that they might possibly post for comparison? Again, my thanks to everyone that has helped so far in identifying this piece.

Regards,
Robert
Old 20th November 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
DAHenkel

More or less you've correctly identified the piece...a brand of parang from the Northeast Malay Peninsula. The name is a bit more tricky though. First off the term "Parang Ginah" (which I think comes from Stone's or some other misguided and rather careless colonial ethnologist) is orthographically way off the mark. The locals have a variety of names for these including "parang Pattani" or "parang jenguk". The latter is probably the term from which the Parang Ginah name is probably derived. It is pronounced more like JERNG_ook...a Malay word which describes the rather curious shape of the blade and which translates more or less along the lines of the verb "to crane" as in ones's neck.

I put up a bunch of pictures of examples of these and there was some inconclusive discussion on them in a thread on the old UBB forum:

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000598.html

I believe there are probably a variety of specific names for the different forms but I've never gotten around to explore these in more precise detail. I do remember a further discussion in Kelantan where it came out first off that these were multi-purpose fighting weapons that could serve as work knives, with the larger more elaborate ones more likely for show and the simpler heavier examples being of a more practical sort. Its said they were carried and worn unsheathed (thus the complete absence of scabbard examples...aside from the odd modern one off), with the handle tucked into the sarong or waistband and the blade jutting out to the front. It also appears given the large number of these and their relatively uniform age that these were something of a "fad" at some point probably in the mid to late-19th century but that carrying them went out of fashion probably not long after the imposition of British colonial hegemony. You do still see the occasional old codger using the heavy choper types like yours but most rural Malays in the area prefer the usual run of China (or other) made machete type blades which are cheap and plentiful in any local marketplace or hardware shop.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello DAHenkel, And thank you very much for all of the information on this parang and for the link to all of the great pictures. I am still a little confused on the proper name for this though, would it be "parang Pattani" or "parang jenguk" or does it really make a difference which one to call it? Another question would be if you would be comfortable with dating this piece? As it arrived today I have posted a few poor pictures taken inside of it after a light cleaning. I have not etched the blade as it still retains a lot of the original forge black finish from when it was made and I do not want to remove it. The blade shows very nice lamination that unfortunately does not show very well in the photos. The hilt is of what looks to be Kamagong wood and does have an age crack but none the less is very striking. This is a very heavy made piece and would produce horrendous injury to anyone unfortunate enough to be struck by it cleaving through bone and tissue with little effort. I do apologies for the poor picture quality.

Regards,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2012, 05:51 AM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

A couple of photos that show the steel collar between the blade and wood better.

Regards,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2012, 07:11 AM   #11
kai

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the pics - certainly much better than those from the seller!

Quote:
As it arrived today I have posted a few poor pictures taken inside of it after a light cleaning. I have not etched the blade as it still retains a lot of the original forge black finish from when it was made and I do not want to remove it. The blade shows very nice lamination that unfortunately does not show very well in the photos.
From the pics, I don't see clear signs for original forging scale - looks more like stabilised rust to me...

Maybe Dave could confirm wether examples with forging scale are known - I've always seen these neatly finished and would be surprised to hear of any traditional affectation appreciating any coarse (non-)finish.

Best wishes,
Kai
Old 21st November 2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Kai, Not forging scale, but a finish that is achieved by dipping the steel into oil and heating it to produce a smooth dark protective coating. The metal has a very smooth finish to it with no forge scale. The pictures do not show the color very well, it is a very deep blueish black. I only cleaned the surface rust off of the metal and there are still quite a few small spots of hard rust in small patches.

Regards,
Robert
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Robert
EAAF Staff

From DAHenkel earlier post on the old forum:

Quote:
I've also noted that I have not encountered antique pieces that have been kept sharp. This is not to say that they could not be sharpened but I rather doubt they were. The only sharp parang of this type I know of is a newly made one owned by Nik Rashidi. It is in form simmilar to the second parang shown (7th photo from the top). Rashidi is particularly fond of this parang and uses it especially for "belah kayu" that is, the process of roughing out wood billets for hilts and sheaths and also for butchering carcasses during Hari Raya Korban (muharram).
On this example the blade is sharp. Thought it is not so sharp that you could use it to shave it does still have a very definite edge. The strange thing is that starting from the blades tip the sharp edge only extends two thirds of the way back on the curve. Measuring back from the tip along the edge the sharpened area is only 5-1/2 inches in length. Not much of a cutting edge, about what you might expect to find on an average sized modern hatchet. Just for later reference, this piece weighs in at one pound twelve ounces and is eighteen inches in length measured in a straight line from the tip of the blade to the tip of the hilt.

Regards,
Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 22nd November 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 26th November 2012, 02:36 AM   #14
Robert
EAAF Staff

At nearly six hundred views there seems to be some definite interest in this piece. What is a problem for me is the fact that I cannot find much information on it on the web or in the few books that I possess. If anyone can point me in the right direction or has any information at all that hasn't already been posted please feel free to reply. A few of the main things that I would like to know about this item are an approximation of its age, whether or not the blade should be etched and exactly who used them. My thanks to everyone for their interest in this most interesting piece.

Regards,
Robert
Old 26th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Timo Nieminen

How well does it cut branches/weeds/stuff?
Old 26th November 2012, 06:25 AM   #16
Robert
EAAF Staff

I didn't want to try it out on anything that might do damage to the cracked wooden hilt but, it cut through a 1 inch tree branch with absolutely no effort.

Robert
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:45 AM   #17
Robert
EAAF Staff

Mods, Please close this thread as I am planning on putting this item up for sale. My thanks to everyone for their help on this.

Robert
Closed Thread