Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 9th March 2019, 02:34 AM   #1
RSWORD

Default Assistance with region, age and carving theme on sword

I was attracted to this piece because of the intricate carvings in the handle. I had to take a ton of pictures because of all the imagery in the handle. The very old blade didn’t hurt either. I would love to know the region it is from and date range and what all of the symbology/imagery is all about. My guess is Dutch or Flemish and maybe 17th century even possibly slightly earlier based on the design of the faded etching left at the forte. Thanks in advance both for looking at all the pictures and sharing thoughts.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 02:36 AM   #2
RSWORD

As promised, many more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 9th March 2019, 02:38 AM   #3
RSWORD

Final 2 pictures. The etching is pretty much all worn away but enough remains at the forte to give a hint at the style. The blade is quite sharp and hand forged.
Attached Images

Old 9th March 2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Could the carving be considered in the Baroque style perhaps?
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 04:26 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
I was attracted to this piece because of the intricate carvings in the handle. I had to take a ton of pictures because of all the imagery in the handle. The very old blade didn’t hurt either. I would love to know the region it is from and date range and what all of the symbology/imagery is all about. My guess is Dutch or Flemish and maybe 17th century even possibly slightly earlier based on the design of the faded etching left at the forte. Thanks in advance both for looking at all the pictures and sharing thoughts.

Rick, I would defintely agree with your discerning eye in estimating 17th c. blade, probably Low Countries and of course this places it in the VOC sphere. The artisans in Ceylon and Java were magnificent carvers and they produced many hilts for officers on the VOC and this seems a blade mounted in the manner of a pedang (though obviously much larger). We know Europeans had a penchant for novelty and exotic things which these trade networks provided.
The style seems to me very much baroque (as suggested by Rick) as popular in England and Europe in mid 17th c. with what seems the 'green man' and other such figures.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 12:09 PM   #6
RSWORD

Thank you Rick and Jim for confirming my thoughts about this piece.