Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
Oriental-Arms

Default Ceremonial Knife from Bali

This one is really a fine piece:

For more details on this item, please see: ceremonial Knife from Bali

A similar item was discussed in this forum not long ago but can not find the thread.

The strangest part of this knife is the rather short blade and considerably longer scabbard. I have seen similar ones also with short blade and long scabbard and I tend to believe that this is the original sheash. Also for another similar one see Albert G van Zonneveld Traditional Weapons of the Indonesian Archipelago, page 74, Fig 287, again with a short blade and much longer scabbard.

Any ideas why is that??
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 11:47 PM   #2
BluErf

Thanks for sharing pictures, Artzi; I always enjoy looking at your 'not-for-sale' pieces. While I admit I know next to nothing about these Balinese wedungs, I think it is just the aesthetics for this type of knife. The example I saw at Robert Hales' shop was exactly this kind of funny proportions too.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2005, 12:53 AM   #3
nechesh

Artzi, let me take a stab at this question. I think the sheath size might be a matter of custom. The dress is the outer appearence and is very much tied in with the way the blade looks as an accessory to the dress of the wearer. The lenght of the sheath is probably proportioned more to the size of the man than the size of the blade. I have seen many keris sheaths that are obviously made for the blade yet much longer than the blade itself. A smaller sized sheath would look inappropriate in context to the man's dress.
BTW, this is a beautiful knife and i can't blame you for putting this on the no sale list. Does it remind anyone else of a piha kaetta?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote