Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2022, 01:37 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Rare folding knives for your enjoyment

So often we see here, and out there, countless variations of the Spanish so called NAVAJA.
This we may have a look to the Portuguese NAVALHAS, with some age, produced in charismatic cuttlery centers.
The first one marked with the maker stamp "Fabrica União" from Guimarães. The second one marked with initials identified as one the cuttlers of Benedita, a industrial county of Alcobaça city.
The third one also produced in Guimarães in the Nogueira cuttlery, belonging to the father of the owner of the examples above, as ilustrated in the catalogue of an exhibition in the city Industrial Association premises, measures the impressive length of 113cms. I hope the lock systems are fully visible; all images were taken by cell phone and sent by WhatsApp. Needless to say that the owner knows what he has and, despite my repeated begging to buy one of those from him, and i have not succeed.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 23rd October 2022 at 01:56 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2022, 01:39 PM   #2
fernando

Daddy's large example.

Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2022, 07:26 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Impressive

I'm at a loss for words, Fernando.
Were folders of this size ever legal to carry in your neck of the woods; it would be pretty hard to conceal one that big unless it was tucked into a sash around the waist.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2022, 07:35 PM   #4
fernando

Thank you Rick.
I realize these big things were made to publicize the maker. I once read in a Spanish source that sellers used to hang huge examples in the top front of their stands to entice buyers to buy their products. This could be the case over here too.
Old 25th October 2022, 02:00 AM   #5
Chris Evans

Hi Fernando,

Read your PM.

Thank you for posting these pics, would love to know more about `navalhas' but unfortunately my inability to read Portuguese is a major handicap.

From what I have seen here and there, they appear to parallel Spanish and French designs.

Can you throw some or any light on the laws that were applicable to these knives?

As for their size, I tend to agree that the larger ones were either showpieces or else intended for tourists as collectables. From having examined quite a number over the years I came to the conclusion that once the blade length exceeded something like 200mm they became very weak at the pivot point and were unsuited for any real world application other than dramatic effect.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2022, 01:10 PM   #6
fernando

Thank you for coming in, Chris .

I believe that, although Portuguese cuttlery has significant presence, with tracks back to the 17th century, in parallel with Spanish expansion (their Kings were ruling in Portugal at the time), the career of our neighbor's navaja was more emphasized by writers, result of its profusely use by the common Spaniard. I suspect the Portuguese locking systems were plain manners to prevent the navalha to close in their hands and not those belic ratchet systems from (some) Spanish navajas. But i am playing a bit by ear, as i do not find solid material to expand better the subject.
Concerning the law, the old illiterate saying was that a blade to be legal to carry, must not be longer than a palm of the hand ... cross wise. The written law says that a blade longer than 10 cms. is considerd a weapon, thus ilegal.

Attached Images