Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Nice East African club,

My latest thing, looks like a nice old one. I am sure it would appeal to fellow East Africanist member "roanoa" There are illustrations of such clubs stuck in warriors belts in the men at arms series "Warriors Peoples of East Africa". I would imagine they did suficient reshearch on the matter. Anyway it looks jolly good to me.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

This club has a nautical look to it for some reason. What type of binding is on it? If it is binding why would you have it so close to the head? I would think it would be at the opposite end of the stick?

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
katana

Hi Tim,
on a practical note...I noticed that the shaft tapers, I think it would not help your grip when wielding it as a club.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I cannot tell a lot for the next week, I have to pay by cheque for some reason . The bindings are hide, I can see how one may see a likeness to a marlin spike? is that a thing? I could add other pics but they are very large so it is a little difficult to discern anything useful when made small. The seller says it is very heavy, it is 59cm long similar to many other items I have. I can only imagine that the hide rings make a friction surface for grip. Rest assured as soon as I have it there will be comparrision pics here .
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

The taper to the fore end did concern me me but seeing it in illustrations i thought it must be just the way they are, I can show other such tapers on sticks/weapons. Many Indian weapons "axes" have to my mind very thin handles? It may even be possible that these clubs could have been thrown when needed so the taper may have some relevance in that particular case?
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:16 PM   #6
kronckew

my first impression as a salty dog of a sailor was that is a marlinspike or fid.

marlinespikes, wood

steel fids, various:

misc fids, marlinespikes & other seaman's accessories.

these also were pressed into service as weapons on occasion. a clearer picture might help in classification of yours
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

Yes I can see the train of thought here. These pictures help show my thoughts. The object shown is the same size 59cm long.