Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Origins of the Mandinka saber

As I understand, the heyday of the Mandinka was prior to the eighteenth century and today they are spread through many modern African nations. This sword is very recognizable as a "Mandinka saber", but it is unclear to me what kind of warrior tradition the Mandinka have had for the last two hundred years.

How far back does this form go?

What is known about its origin?

Also, I think I am not alone in wondering why this rather stereotyped form does not have a name of its own but is rather just a "Mandinka saber". I found this comment in an old thread:

“I forgot to include previously that I once showed illustrations of one of these Mandinka sabres to a man who was of Fulani descent and from Guinea. He identified this sabre as termed a 'kota' if I recall correctly, claiming that the scabbard was termed 'holga' (= house 'for the sword'). While these distinctly formed sabres do not seem to ever be called by a specific term, only referred to as a 'Mandinka' et al , sword, I have often wondered what they were called locally.”

Based on its condition I would not think it is very old but would be happy for comments/guesses on this as well.

Marcus
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for posting a very pertinent and valid query. Actually the quote was mine, and I believe from my own attempts at establishing the lineage and development of these sabres about 15 or more years ago. The efforts however typically did not gain traction, so it is good to see the topic revived.

If you look at the open hilt, somewhat cylindrical without any sort of guard, it is remarkably similar to the Omani sword known as the 'kattara'. These open hilt broadswords are keenly associated with the Omani Sultanate of Zanzibar as seen in Burton (1885).

The idea I tried to advance in those times was that this distinct similarity was likely founded in the trade networks which connected Mali with the East African trade centers, including of course Zanzibar. Since the Omani traders were prominently represented in these trade networks, it does not seem implausible that the Manding, who were the controlling tribe and merchants themselves, would not have been influenced by the swords of the Omani.

The prevalent blades that occur in these Manding swords are typically of French origin with their availability (French West Africa), however there are numerous cases of German with trade volume of these present. The Tuareg takouba with curved blades (aljuinar) sometimes used similar sourced blades and I have even seen British 'Mole' blades on them.

As the kattara swords of Oman with these type open hilts (with knob or square pommel) are not believed to have begun much before early 19th century, it would seem to set the style of these Manding sabres in most probably mid 19th century. As the character of these hilts does not correspond to other hilt types in those Western regions, I am inclined to believe they must have been taken from the Omani hilts.

As with most of these African sword forms, they seem mostly to have been late comers to 'sword tradition' in Sahelian as well as Sudanese tribal cultures, with early 19th century being the start period. There were of course swords present with many of the ranking or noble individuals of probably European form, but in most cases, spears and such other edged forms were predominant tribally.

The influx of trade blades in the 19th century created the advance of sword culture and in the case of these Manding sabres, I believe they arose from Omani merchant influences coupled with those availabilities of blades from trade or colonial sources.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 06:01 AM   #3
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Based on its condition I would not think it is very old but would be happy for comments/guesses on this as well.
Marcus
Hi Marcus,
You have a very nice Malinke sword, the European blade is 19th c. I think that the whole sword is end of 19th c. In very good condition.
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
CharlesS

A 1907 photo postcard....
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Marcus

Default a Kattera by any other name

If we recognize a Sudanese Haladie, why not call these Mandinka Kattara?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
If we recognize a Sudanese Haladie, why not call these Mandinka Kattara?
Because it's only Jim's opinion.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Because it's only Jim's opinion.

Hi Kubur,
Thank you for the note, and very much agreed, the material I post is indeed my own opinion and based on the research and notes from years past as well as resources we are all pretty much familiar with .
I'm glad you pointed this out, as I always look forward to the opinions and findings of others pertaining to the topics I address. In my opinion that is how we learn, I know I do, as others present different views, and if the supported data warrants, my opinion does adjust accordingly.

Concerning a term to describe these sabres, it is what we have long referred to in these pages as 'the name game'. I suppose in some sense one could call these a Manding kattara, but I would imagine that would bring some dissent as well as powerful debate.

Re: haladie
The Sudanese 'haladie' noted is of course known as the Syrian dagger (Stone, 1937) and was a weapon derived from the Rapjut double bladed madu and the mendicant versions. These most probably entered the Sudanese arsenal via the Mamluks out of Syria.
I am unclear on what language the term haladie derives from.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote