Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th July 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
katana

Default Zulu Short Halbard ?

I have never seen this type of weapon attributed to Africa...let alone Zulu.

Does anyone know whether this is a weapon... or ceremonial or even a 'victorian fantasy piece' Comments please?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...5850&rd=1&rd=1
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

It is African, although with things added - either fantasy piece or someone added to the axe for some other reason.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I have two things that relate to this piece. Again I personally think we are looking at something that is far from "ZULU" and more towards the big lakes and a strong Arab influence. One item is in the loft so I will not be able to show any pics untill tomorrow.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 11:42 AM   #4
kronckew

'stunning' and 'rare' are caveats to me, and i now have also added 'zulu' to my vocabulary of words that are ebay propaganda and usually untrue.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 02:00 PM   #5
katana

I have added an enhanced picture.

Fistly I think the only thing 'zulu' about this piece IMHO is the style of the wire binding.

Secondly the chances of this being a weapon has been greatly reduced since I have enhanced the picture. The spear end appears to be tanged but is only short as it would hit the portion of the the axe head that passes through the shaft. This arrangement would make it 'weak'....far better would be that the axe and spear head were forged in 'one piece'.
It also seems that the 'axe' has not got a sharpened edge, is relatively thin and seems to be made from uniform sheet metal, rather than forged.

The circle motif, although common to Africa, the Middle East and Asia is something I have not seen on any Zulu artefact... (so far ).

The more I look at it, the more I believe this item is 'made-up' , based on an European idea of an 'old' weapon. Either concieved in Africa...to sell to tourists. Or worse ....made in Europe perhaps to deceive.
Attached Images

Old 16th July 2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

It may not be tourist stuff. Anything introduced on ebay with praise always means itis rubbish . Sorry I have not got into the loft, its that good .
Old 16th July 2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Freddy

Question

I don't know about this one, but it can be African.

I'm trying to get an axe into my collection which is still owned by a Dutch friend from Amsterdam. I handled this piece several times and although it looks rather 'fancy' for an African axe, it really is a good piece. (and I know, one day, it will be mine )

It's the axe in the middle of the pic. My friend says it comes from Tansania.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Freddy has shown a fantastic example of the not very good one I have in the loft. The one I have has a spike coming out of the handle rather than the top as in the thread starter. Perhaps it is not so bad after all I will get it down tomorrow. As we know there was a great deal of Arab interest in much of Eastern Africa, long before early European explorers. Arabs being Islamic and Islamic forms are not rare in Africa.

Old 16th July 2007, 08:53 PM   #9
katana

Freddy, I certainly like your friends axe and can see why you want it in your collection.

Tim, I see what you mean about influences, the axe you posted is nice, would certainly be welcome in my house This axe also reinforces my comment about the axe head /spear head being formed in one piece.

Assuming the axe that started the thread is genuinely African, then it must be ceremonial.....which suggests to me there must be more.... if uncommon, then a 'high status' ceremonial piece. But, having said that, I would expect it to be more ornate, perhaps with symbolic designs and more materials used such as brass, ivory etc
Old 16th July 2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Well now we get to splitting hairs. What is wealth? the item in question looks well made the materials may be simple or should I say not expensive to our minds. It could still be a prestige item to a nomadic or semi nomadic community. Even a sedimentary chieftaincy far from the the main man would need regalia. The standard of such things is often an indication as to how close a person may be to the one that has somehow achieved the highest status whether they really know what they are doing or not, and all the others want to be seen as followers .
Old 16th July 2007, 11:14 PM   #11
katana

Hi Tim,
I totally agree with what you said...I think I have not explained myself properly. What I meant was that, this form of axe, if truely African, is rare. The exclusivity of this style (of axe) would show the high status of the owner without any 'adornment' I think IMHO that this style of axe if it were common, (which clearly it isn't), many 'status groups' would own the 'same styled axe' .So to show higher status it would be decorated or made from materials that would reflect that status.