Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 4th May 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
CutlassCollector

Default Boarding Axe by Gilpin?

Attended my first Arms and Armour Fair last weekend and was amazed by the many hundreds of swords and weapons on display. The dealers, I found, were just as keen to share their knowledge and enthusiasm as to sell their wares. A great atmosphere and I will try to get to more.

Only a handful of cutlasses though and one lone boarding axe which I could not resist. A standard late pattern British with a faint broad arrow, 'N' and makers name, possibly Gilpin.
I associate that name more with 20th century fire axes but it seems authentic - can anyone tell me more about Gilpin's production dates and whether there are other examples of their boarding axes?

Incidentally the seller did not have credit card facilities and I did not have enough cash but he let me take it away on a tenner deposit and a handshake even though he knew I was heading for the airport. Good to know that some still understand the meaning of a deal done on one's word. CC.
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 09:44 PM   #2
broadaxe

This is the last true boarding axe issued to the Royal Navy. I have an identical axe, unmarked and probably older due to overall even pitting, and a ship's serial number marked in a bronze tag attached to the haft.
You may find interest in this citation, referring to that axe, from Gilkerson, Boarders Away, p.39: "It may be noted that in the 1930's such axes were still made by Gilpin (Tools) Ltd. of Cannock, one of the last contractors for full-size Navy boarding axes".
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
CutlassCollector

Thanks for the reference Broadaxe. Cannock was a good clue. From the history of Cannock Parish I found:

William Gilpin seems to have opened an edge-tool factory at Wedges Mill in 1790, but by 1817 most of the work was done at the factory opened in 1806 at Churchbridge in Great Wyrley.

So it definitely covers the 19th century as well as later. There is also some suggestion that the company still exists in some form but not in that area.

CC.
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote