Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd April 2014, 11:26 PM   #1
kahnjar1

Default AN INTERESTING PAINTING: ZAPOROZHIAN WEAPONS

A friend of mine sent me this link and I thought it worth posting here. Many edged and other weapons to be seen.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_o...zhian_Cossacks
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 24th April 2014 at 02:19 AM. Reason: more inclusive title
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an amazing and most colorful painting Stu!!! and this work by Repin is probably one of the most iconic illustrations of this Cossack host ever !!

I still have a figurine of the main figure in red, the jovial character with the white hat, beautifully crafted by Martin Merks, a member here.

There have been great discussions on the weapons used by the Zaporozhians, and what is unusual is that they typically did not have the familiar shashkas of other Cossack hosts. Actually they used arms of Tatar, Lithuanian and other groups and often used shamshirs as well as East European type sabres.

Perhaps we might put together a collective group of weapons used by these Cossacks?

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 24th April 2014 at 02:44 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 02:51 AM   #3
machinist

It is a great painting and it is one of the pictures I have in rotation for my wallpaper on my computer. I enjoy searching out all of the different weapons and looking at all of the fierce faces. Some of those guys are scary even while laughing.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 04:48 AM   #4
ariel

The issue of Cossack weapons has been a topic of many a heated discussion on Russian Forums ( Fora?)

There is a great book by Denis Toichkin, an Ukrainian weapon historian, describing virtually all weapons belonging to Zaporozhian Cossacks that were either preserved in the muzeums or dug out at the sites of major Cossack-Polish battles. He concludes that there was no such thing as the indigenous Cossack saber: all are Turkish, Polish, Tatar or Persian, ie acquired one way or another from enemies and neighbors. The few made in the Ukraine are just faithful but crude copies of the above.

Not a surprise: Cossacks shunned all and any manufacturing jobs and had no material base of weapons manufacture. Any Cossack acquiring a productive profession instead of fighting was ( literally!) beaten and ostracized. They were a purely fighting host: akin to Caribbean pirates. Toichkin's analysis of the occupations of local inhabitants and the existence of smithies, import of steel etc. confirms it 100%.

Looking for a shashka among the Zaporozhian Cossacks is just as fruitful as searching for nimchas in Japan. In contrast, Kuban, Terek and Black Sea Cossack Hosts used shashkas left and right. Not a miracle: they lived among the true Caucasians :-)

BTW, re. Forum/Fora:
A Roman goes into a bar and asks for martinus.
"You mean martini?",- the barman corrects him. " No. Had I wanted a double martinus, I would have asked for martini".
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 04:52 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Further to my first post above, I attach here, for the benefit of those who do not like to open links, another version of The Cossacks by the same artist, which to my mind is not anywhere near as interesting in terms of weapons etc. Also a portrait of the artist Repin himself.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

This is a hugely interesting subject of which I know absolutely nothing. It would be good to expand into the detail ...This artwork is fascinating and a great way to portray the weapons...I note it even became a postcard! Whilst I press into search on library and hit the web~
Here's another.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th April 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 06:36 PM   #7
spiral

Somewhere on this forum from many years ago with many great paintings mostly by a French artist.

One was an old Arab warrior at rest with his hookah, with yataghan & shamshir featured.

Sadly I cant recall the artist name or the thread. {Different computer files lost...}

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote