Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th July 2015, 02:20 PM   #1
youngbladerunner

Default Trying to ID this Spear

Bought this with some very interesting spears. Three were african, one was a Moro spear with a wavy blade and there was this one. Anyone got any ideas?
Attached Images

youngbladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 04:43 PM   #2
TVV

There are members here with a lot more knowledge on Luzon spears than me, but if you search the forum for Bontoc or Igorot spear you will see similar examples to yours.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation

Definitely want to see the Moro spear with the wavy blade .
Start another thread rather than combine it with this one .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Sajen

It's a Bontoc/Ifugao/et cetera spear but the toe cap from iron is missing. Still a very nice spear in unsual form. Here is an informative thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=bontoc+spear
Also curious to see the Moro spear.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 06:02 PM   #5
youngbladerunner

Thanks again for the info. Thread was very helpful. I'll start a new thread with other. Although not sure if it is anymore.
youngbladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:01 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

This spear is usually referred to as a falfeg. If you look at Krieger's plates of Philippine weapons elsewhere on this site, you will find similar examples.

http://www.vikingsword.com/rila/krieger.html

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
This spear is usually referred to as a falfeg.
Hello Ian,

not inevitable, I have thought the same but Nonoy write in the thread i have posted in up the following:

This type of spearhead was used throughout the Northern Luzon Cordillera. They are popular among the Bontoc Igorot, Ifugao, Gaddang, Kalinga, Tinguian, Isneg, Applai, Ilongot, Isinay, etc. One notices that the shapes of the this type of spearhead have subtle differences. There are various terms used to call this spear, based on such differences. For example, if assuming that your spear is Bontoc, then it would be called "Pinilipo" because the neck is more or less cylindrical; as opposed to the "falfeg" which has four corners.

My best guest is that your spear is Ifugao, and it is a "Balabog" (generic term for a spear with such two prongs), but more specifically, it is a "Punol" (owing to the circular neck which gets thicker at the base).

I hope that this information was useful.

Nonoy

Of course it was regarding an other type of spearhead but this let me think that this type would be called again different.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 30th July 2015, 12:18 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Detlef:

Yes, many names for these in different dialects and between different tribal groups. I have heard several of these names before from various sources, often times one person contradicting another. The usual issues with trying to find the "correct" native term.

I was trying to give youngbladerunner, who is new here, a simple term that he can find online or in books and that has been a general descriptor in the discussion of these types of spears.

For example, the Metroplitan Museum of Art in NY has identified a similar spear bequeathed to the museum by George C. Stone in 1935 as a falfeg. (http://metmuseum.org/collection/the-...e/search/30660).

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Ian,

not inevitable, I have thought the same but Nonoy write in the thread i have posted in up the following:

This type of spearhead was used throughout the Northern Luzon Cordillera. They are popular among the Bontoc Igorot, Ifugao, Gaddang, Kalinga, Tinguian, Isneg, Applai, Ilongot, Isinay, etc. One notices that the shapes of the this type of spearhead have subtle differences. There are various terms used to call this spear, based on such differences. For example, if assuming that your spear is Bontoc, then it would be called "Pinilipo" because the neck is more or less cylindrical; as opposed to the "falfeg" which has four corners.

My best guest is that your spear is Ifugao, and it is a "Balabog" (generic term for a spear with such two prongs), but more specifically, it is a "Punol" (owing to the circular neck which gets thicker at the base).

I hope that this information was useful.

Nonoy

Of course it was regarding another type of spearhead but this let me think that this type would be called again different.

Regards,
Detlef
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I was trying to give youngbladerunner, who is new here, a simple term that he can find online or in books and that has been a general descriptor in the discussion of these types of spears.
Hi Ian,

yes, agree that he will find under this term the most informations.

Regards,
Detlef