Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2015, 02:23 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Blunderbuss for comments

Now, don't tell me this isn't good stuff .
This one we may call it Portuguese.
Indicative details would be the 'fluted' stock, the trigger guard and the inverted direction in which the fixation screw holds the barrel tang.
Basicaly from the end XVIII century, i would say.
The lock isn't Portuguese by style, but British, a rather common setup.
The large caliber approx. 25 m/m. The barrel length 54 cms. Total length 88 cms. Weight 4,5 Kgs.
Maybe (maybe) ther ramrod is not the original one; could have been a wooden one with a tip of fine material, to match the class of of the gun.
I can imagine the wealthy Landlord going out at night, followed by his bodyguard armed with one of these under his cloak.
No marks at all, which could be one more indication this is Portuguese ... as not having the recurrent Brit proof marks in the barrel.
Would someone care to comment ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Roland_M

Wow, a really impressive gun.
A caliber of 25mm causes quite nasty holes.

I have a little experience with black powder shooting and I am very sure, the sound of your gun must be overwhelming.

I have a modern replica cal. 54 black powder pistol and the sound of this caliber, which is only the half of yours, is much better than every modern pistol from cal. 22 to cal. 44.

I think the sound of your gun is between my caliber 54. and a cannon. If you shoot this gun in a Shooting range, you would make the people there very happy. An unforgettable moment.

Regards, Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 03:55 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you so much Roland .
I am not a shooter, though; it was enough during military (war) service .
Also not a fan of replicas; will have to do by just imagining the noise of this thing, which i agree must be a hell of a bang .

Still ..
In any case, i like to have these things as much functional as possible ... mechanicaly wise.
A couple points in this one needing review; the frizzen spring needs some more tension and the hammer doesn't hold in both half and full cock positions (tumbler worn ?).

Last edited by fernando; 21st July 2015 at 05:28 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
A couple points in this one needing review; the frizzen spring needs some more tension and the hammer doesn't hold in both half and full cock positions (tumbler worn ?).

It is not just an impressive big caliber, it is also a beauty. The gun is not much decorated but I think it is high quality manufacturing.
I especially like the wooden shaft.
I would say, your gun is either from a ship or a carriage as a defense weapon. This is probably the reason for the conic muzzle, a ship or carriage is quite unstable during loading process.

In most cases the tumbler is worn, sometimes you can refurbish it. But more often you need a new tumbler for 100-150€.

Open the gun only in case you really want to shoot with it!

Despite i had around ten sessions with black powder guns on the shooting range, every single shot put a smile on my face, a massive and deep BANG and tons of smoke .

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Fernando K

dear Fernando

The attribution of date seems correct, by the screw holding the barrel, and the rear plate fixation with nails.

A remarkable thing is the job of the octagonal barrel and the false mouth bronze, despite being a strong weapon in the decoration rigging and wood carving. Can not see, despite the pictures, if the false mouth is a macisa piece or barrel is only covered with a sheet of brass, well placed

In all Spanish literature, the faceted head is defined as "Madrid" or "Catalan", and of course the hook waist for a weapon of that weight, is for a "sling" or shoulder. The stick does not appear to be original, given the size of the beads.

For me, IMHO, I would have to think of a naval blunderbuss.

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Marcus den toom

Couldn't withhold myself from commenting now instead of tomorrow, but this is a very attractive blunderbuss.
The brass muzzle section is, as far as i can see, only sheeted around an iron barrel mouth. When looking at the inside of the barrel mouth you can see the iron oxidation and also some small iron overlap on the brass muzzle section. Wouldn't make sence to create a all brass end for a gun, it would only cause a serious weakspot at one of the largest stress point of a barrel

The design is great looking and certainly fit for your staggering collection Nando my friend.
My position on the calibre is based on information i recieved after my own blunderbuss purchase. These guns where mainly shot with buckshot balls, so probably 10-11 mm lead balls, 10 pieces orso.
The swamped barrel mouth supports this, it wouldn't make sence with a solid lead/iron ball... blunderbussess where intended to scatter and hit as many targets at short distance. The iron looks to good for naval use i think, but who knows

What i absolutely like about this gun is the "belt" (?) hook that has survived till this day!! you don't see that to often. Take good care of this one, the market for blunderbussess has somewhat shrunk in the last few years, but such an quality item will be priceless (even more so than now) in a few years.

edit: my own blunderbuss with heavy pitted iron as comparison
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=ketland
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote