Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2022, 11:46 AM   #1
gp

Default The Yathagan Collection in the Croatian History Museum catalogue

I do not know why but as I am unable to reply or quote on this older topic:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3181

I just open a new one with the old subject title

the book is availabe now for free as e-book by the Croatian Museum in Zagreb in 3 languages:

Croation, German and English:

http://jatagani.hismus.hr/knjizstart.htm
http://jatagani.hismus.hr/knjizstartg.htm
http://jatagani.hismus.hr/knjizstarte.htm

Enjoy Ladies & Gents ☼☼☼
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 02:36 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Inability to post in Swap ...

gp,

Only the originator of a post or Vikingsword staff can post a reply to a thread in Swap. That's why you were unable to post a reply.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 02:38 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

A free online copy is a wonderful service provided by the Museum. Thanks for the heads up gp.
Old 15th August 2022, 02:51 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Straight-bladed yataghan

Looking through the excellent museum compilation, I noted this interesting piece. A straight yataghan said to be from a cut down saber. Here is the Museum entry:
Quote:
Hrvatski povijesni muzej / Croatian History Museum, Zagreb, Croatia
Arms and Armoury Collection
DARK-HILTED YATAGAN WITH STRAIGHT BLADE. Hilt: second half of 18th century - around 1830; blade: first half of 18th century
steel, bone; forging, carving
yatagan: 765 : 625 : 35 mm
Inv. No.: HPM/PMH-013054

DESCRIPTION:
A hilt of dark bone with quite large truncated ears. Band of metal decorated with plant adornment, and on the continuation of the hilt with a fish scale motif. Blade reworked from a cutlass, steel, single-edged, straight, with two narrow and two broad fullers.
Wants scabbard. Bone and metal parts of the hilt fairly damaged. Leaf-shaped decoration of the blade missing.
Came into the Museum with the Jelacic Bequest in 1937.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Boskovic, Dora. Zbirka jatagana u Hrvatskom povijesnom muzeju u Zagrebu = The Yatagan Collection of the Croatian History Museum, Zagreb. Katalog muzejskih zbirki XLI. Zagreb : Hrvatski povijesni muzej, 2006. Kat. No. 189;
Sercer, Marija. Jatagani u Povijesnom muzeju Hrvatske. Katalog muzejskih zbirki XI. Zagreb : Povijesni muzej Hrvatske, 1975. Kat. Nr. 172.
In referring to the hilt as "bone," I think they mean horn.
Attached Images

Old 17th August 2022, 07:16 PM   #5
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Looking through the excellent museum compilation, I noted this interesting piece. A straight yataghan said to be from a cut down saber. Here is the Museum entry:
In referring to the hilt as "bone," I think they mean horn.
well that is to be seen; bichaqs and yataghans had hilts made out of horn, ivory but also bones;

2 other museums and one study

http://h.etf.unsa.ba/btp/content/muz..._eng/about.htm

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...e_Banat_Museum

page 327: https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/10435

could well be the bone had been darkened...but normally indeed a bone would be white and used for the bjeloscapi / whitecolored yataghan and bichaqs
although an error is human, Dora Bošković has quite some publications and books published, so I can not comment easily on this specific item...

Last edited by gp; 18th August 2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 20th January 2024, 08:09 PM   #6
gp

by the way, the book by Sercer, Marija. Jatagani u Povijesnom muzeju Hrvatske. Katalog muzejskih zbirki XI. Zagreb : Povijesni muzej Hrvatske, 1975.

is also partially available in German, made for an exhibition in Austria :

Jatagane aus dem Historischen Museum von Kroatien in Zagreb (Agram). Sonderausstellung im Landeszeughaus 9. April - 7. Juni 1976. Graz : Landeszeughaus am Landesmuseum Joanneum, 1976

with regards to " referring to the hilt as "bone," I think they mean horn," ; many hilts of yataghans, bichaqs and kamas were made also from bone ...the poor man's version or cheap repair of the ones and compared to the ones made from walrus, ivory or horn in the Balkans.

I have one yataghan which handle is not completly walrus or ivory, but had a repair from that time (19th century in which the of the handle, the "wing" wasthat badly damaged, that part got repaired / substitued locally by a piece of bone ; the epiphysis).
I shall try to make some good pics to show it.

Last edited by gp; 20th January 2024 at 10:43 PM.
Old 20th January 2024, 08:33 PM   #7
serdar

Those books by dora boskovic and marija sercer are ok, but they got wrong on many yatagan producing techniques.
Best book on weapons that was used on Balkan teritory is Vajsil Čurćić Starinsko oružje u bosni i hercegovini.
In that book it is covered all weapon types and are corect.
Another great book on yatagans is Goran Bubanja jatagani u crnoj gori.
Those two books are excelent.
Museum books are full of wrong data, especialy Split museum book, they have in ther inventar two false albanian made 20 st yatagans that are falsly marked in 15 st, and they dont recognise that, so museum “experts” are 50/50 info.
Pozdrav.
serdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 06:26 PM   #8
gp

thank you for your very interesting comments and feeback; highly appreciated.

Some more literature on the topic:# 33 and # 36,37

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ure#post275457

latest book is by Kozo, topic # 75

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ozo#post270932

Last edited by gp; 21st January 2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 26th January 2024, 09:37 PM   #9
gp

2 new publications I just stumbled on from Russia:

1 Cherevichnik, Denis(2014) On the issue on origin of yataghan.
Черевичник Денис (2014) К вопросу о происхождении ятагана.

IN: The History of Weapons 2014, pp. 219-238
В: Истории Оружия 2014, С. 219-238
Denis Cherevichnik

Ottoman History, Arms and Armor Studies,Ottoman Studies,
Turkish and Middle East Studies,Ottoman Military History

it can be legally downloaded from the internet

In this first part of the article, the author explores the origin and etymology of the term "yataghan"
Scientific reviewers:
V.I.Klochko - Head of the Department of Archaeology of the National University "Kyiv-Mohyla Academy",
Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor. Jan Hohorovsky - Head of the Department of archaeology of the bronze age of the Institute of Archaeology at the Jagiellonian University (Poland),
Dr. hub., Professor
Научные рецензенты: В.И. Клочко - зав. кафедрой археологии Национального университета "Киево-Могилянская академия" , доктор исторических наук, профессор. Ян Хохоровский - зав. отделом археологии эпохи бронзы Института археологии Ягеллонского университета (Польша), доктор хаб., профессор.

2 Cherevichnik Denis (2018). Ottoman yataghan: etymology and origin of the term.
In: Collection of the scientific works of the International scientific and Practical conference “The world of weapons: stories, heroes, collections”. Tula State Museum of Weapons, October 3-5, 2018.
This paper is devoted to the study of the history of the Ottoman yataghan, and is a logical continuation of the author’s article "To the Question of the Origin of Yatagan. (History of Antique Arms Researches 2016, pp. 17-35.)

Оттоманский ятаган: этимология и происхождение термина

Ottoman History,Early modern Ottoman History, Bektashi Studies, Ottoman Janissaries

Работа посвящена исследованию истории османского ятагана, и является логическим продолжением статьи автора "«К вопросу о происхождении ятагана» ("История оружия", 2014).

and 2 publications , also legally t.b. downloaded

1. Adnan Muftarević : BALKANLARDA YATAĞAN YAPIMI ( partial English)

2. Quelques considerations historiques concernant un yatagan de la collection du Musée Municipal Médiaș,
p. 282-287. dr. Mihai Chiriac dr. Viorel Ștefu

some pics, also Yatagan Production centers in the Balkans
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 27th January 2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 26th January 2024, 10:17 PM   #10
gp

another legal download:

Jatagan - nepoznat u heraldici, by Zoran Peran, 2022, in "Grb i zastava"
Attached Images