Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2012, 07:13 PM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Luzon "Binangkoko"

Recently won this on ebay. It was incorrectly listed as a persian sword. I believe it's from Luzon and a friend of mine who owns a similar piece says that in the visayas, it's categorized as a "binangkoko".

Most likely just refered to as an "Itak" or "bolo" around luzon, I was curious if it had a specific term locally. Heck, where were these made exactly? How old would this example be?

The hilt is horn and the fittings, according to the seller, are silver. One side is missing a silver panel.

here are the vendor's photos. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Attached Images

ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 07:17 PM   #2
ThePepperSkull

As mentioned previously, a friend of mine owns another (and in my opinion a nicer and more intact) example. This one with brass or bronze fittings as opposed to silver:
Attached Images

Old 28th February 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
carlos

Wow!! congratulations, is a very beautiful piece, and I´m sure after cleaning sword you will be more happy! I just fall in love!! Horn and silver, the perfect cmbination
thanks for the pictures
best regards
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Sajen

Agree with Carlos, a beautiful itak and I am sure when you have received it that you will like it more as the one from your friend. The missing panel will be easily to replace. I am curious to see better pictures when you have received and cleaned it.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Detlef

It looks very similar to a ginuting
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:44 PM   #6
ThePepperSkull

^ As my friend explains, the term "binangkoko" is used around the negros area to differentiate the heavier and locally produced Ginunting and the Luzon blades of similar shape.

He says that the people he trains with (the Dekiti Tirsia Siradas camp) are adamant about the difference between a negros/visayan-made blade being called a ginunting only, and making a point to differentiate that between the lighter blades of similar shape made in Luzon which they call Binangkoko.

Of course, I have no knowledge of the luzon term for this may be. Maybe even they would call it a "ginunting" and not see the difference. I've asked a few of my relatives from my father's side of the family (ethnically they are tagalog) and they've never heard of the term "binangkoko". I have a friend who speaks bisaya and he's heard that term used before but doesn't remember which context, but at least we have that.

PS: Thank you all for the kind words. I don't have many Luzon pieces so i figure I may as well collect the nice ones when I can find them. Does anyone have an approximate date of manufacture on this?
Old 29th February 2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Great catch !!! I too would have called this a ginuting. As far as age, I believe because of the shape of the hilt, the way the decorations are done and the way the ferrel is fitted to the hilt that this would date to the second quarter of the 20th century. I could be totally wrong on this though so I will wait to see what the more knowledgeable member have to say. Again, my congratulations on your winning this very nice addition to your collection.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I hate to say this but I also would have thought this was a ginuting as well. Certainly a Luzon piece. I have often found that different groups can have different names for the same type of piece in the PI.

On another note - great piece! Good to finally see an old example of these.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Indianajones

Hello, interesting piece indeed. Am I the only one who sees the similarity of the grip with another quite different type of Visayan bolo -see pic below-??

Also the combination of metal studs hammered into the horn in a motive and inserting a lozenge shows me an influence of Indonesia; as I have seen quite many horn snuffboxes from Indonesia with this same method of decorating (metal studs, inserted lozenge).

Think these swords are very rare; I never seen one before! Anyone knows more info on them; area of use/manufacture?
Attached Images

Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Detlef

It looks very similar to a ginuting
Lew, of course you are correct, it's a ginuting!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Ferguson

What a stunning piece. Every time I think I've seen every variation, there's another!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

I found this variation on the ginunting that belongs to Steve for comparison
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2012, 08:32 AM   #13
ThePepperSkull

^ Funny that you put this picture up, I have a bolo with the same shape hilt, and with an s-guard similar to the bolo in the original post. I'd wager a guess that these were produced in the same area. Anyone know exactly where in Luzon that may have been?
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Indianajones

Hi, I reckon these are not from Luzon but from South Visaya or Mindanao as . . . .the handles actually depict a horse foot and in Mindanao horses were more prevalent and horsefights (as also with cocks) were held.
Greets
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi, I reckon these are not from Luzon but from South Visaya or Mindanao as . . . .the handles actually depict a horse foot and in Mindanao horses were more prevalent and horsefights (as also with cocks) were held.
Greets

Horse fights?

I always thought that the horse hoof/head motif was Ilocano?
Old 6th March 2012, 10:47 PM   #16
Dimasalang

Very nice piece. And I believe you may have saved this from falling in to the wrong hands of an owner who may have no clue what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Greets
I'd actually disagree here. Horses were used extensively in Luzon as well, with native troops even having their own cavalry units under the Spanish regime.
The 'full leather' sheath and design work I notice are more prevalent in northern Philippines than the southern half. The horse hoof handle design is also found in Luzon. Although the blade shape does look more Visayan style, I would guesstimate it to be from South Luzon. But thats just my own amateur opinion here.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote