Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2024, 06:24 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
I'd be crossing your Ts and dotting your Is Rick.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/natio...-species-parts
I would add that i believe the link you have provided seems focussed on "unaltered pieces of a marine mammal". A scrimshaw tooth would no doubt fall under a different set of regulations.
Old 6th February 2024, 03:08 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I would add that i believe the link you have provided seems focussed on "unaltered pieces of a marine mammal". A scrimshaw tooth would no doubt fall under a different set of regulations.
Just because one gets a tooth,scratches it's surface and rubs some soot in to the incisions, it does not then circumvent these policies.

There are other determining requirements to be met. It is governed by several other factors within these and other documents.

It is the source material that is governed, the onus lies with you to prove what is required.
Old 6th February 2024, 03:24 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Just because one gets a tooth,scratches it's surface and rubs some soot in to the incisions, it does not then circumvent these policies.

There are other determining requirements to be met. It is governed by several other factors within these and other documents.

It is the source material that is governed, the onus lies with you to prove what is required.
How does one prove to the authorities that the teeth shown in the auction catalogue that I posted a link to are actually antique pre-ban teeth Gavin?
Eldred's auction seems to have found a way to do this.

As I said Massachusetts is the California of the East Coast and I'm sure some of these articles don't have a hard and fast provenance.
This is a well-known auction house worldwide; I can't imagine that in my state a place such as Eldred's could get away with fakery.
There must be some way to prove the antiquity of whales' teeth. I have seen antique teeth done by contemporary artists for auction there.

I'd shrug but the emoji is verboten.
Old 6th February 2024, 04:47 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
How does one prove to the authorities that the teeth shown in the auction catalogue that I posted a link to are actually antique pre-ban teeth Gavin?
It is all outlined in the link provided and all other links within Rick.

With regards to within state, looking at what's been happening in that space, all eyes are on places like the auction house. I only see a few of the items with recorded provenance.
Whilst within state, all is currently OK, I suspect that when it comes to out of state buyers, know your laws.
I also expect the whale tooth exemptions locally will fall in line with Federal laws before long. The LONG overdue Elephant ivory and Rhino horn laws are on the doorstep locally, with sensible provisions within.
This was submitted in January 2023, chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/file:///C:/Users/user/Picture/S519.pdf
Joint Committee sat in November, https://www.mspca.org/animal_protect...n-trafficking/
The writing is on the wall where teeth are concerned locally, plain to see with what is noted and known.

From a well known dealers webpage in MA.
Antique Scrimshaw: inventory consists of (19th century/period): antique scrimshaw, antique sperm whale teeth, vintage scrimshaw work on antique sperm whale teeth, antique scrimshaw work on antique walrus tusks. Many of these items came from my private collection which have been collected or purchased over a 40 year period. Also under this category we have some vintage scrimshaw items. Note: regarding endangered species items. We are firm supporters of the US and CITES endangered species acts. Purchasers should familiarize themselves with the appropriate regulations both state and US federal, it is their responsibility. All necessary permits and certificates are the purchaser's responsibility. All sales consummated in MA. No international sale or purchasing of endangered species items.

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 6th February 2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 9th February 2024, 05:23 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Item is back at auction...
Closed Thread