Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th May 2016, 06:43 PM   #121
Sajen

Another recent addition, a rather big one, overall 12". Very unusual blade shape. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 07:34 PM   #122
kronckew

gorgeous!
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 07:41 PM   #123
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
gorgeous!

Thank you!
Old 8th May 2016, 08:07 PM   #124
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, damn Det! That's a nice one! Love that blade. If it ever tells you it would like to vacation in the States give me a shout.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 08:19 PM   #125
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well, damn Det! That's a nice one! Love that blade. If it ever tells you it would like to vacation in the States give me a shout.
Hello David,

thank's as well! Will let you know in this case.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 8th May 2016, 08:56 PM   #126
Battara
EAAF Staff

What an interesting blade!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 09:05 PM   #127
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, For this style of gunong this one has the most well made blade I have yet to see. With the cutting edges being what I would describe as "hollow ground" it has a very pronounced medial ridge somewhat like those seen on a lot of the pieces from Africa. It is unfortunate that these photos do not give justice to this feature, but I will try to take some that will just as soon as the rain stops long enough for me to do so. This will make a wonderful addition to your ever growing collection of beautiful gunongs. Congratulations my friend on this great score that you have made. Once you have this in hand you will see how unique this blade really is. In the meantime, here is a poor quality photo that at least gives a little better idea of how pronounced the blade's medial ridge actually is.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 8th May 2016 at 09:17 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 12:21 AM   #128
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
What an interesting blade!
Thank you Jose, it wasn't to seen by the seller pictures so it was a big extra present when seen first.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 9th May 2016, 12:33 AM   #129
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Detlef, For this style of gunong this one has the most well made blade I have yet to see. With the cutting edges being what I would describe as "hollow ground" it has a very pronounced medial ridge somewhat like those seen on a lot of the pieces from Africa. It is unfortunate that these photos do not give justice to this feature, but I will try to take some that will just as soon as the rain stops long enough for me to do so. This will make a wonderful addition to your ever growing collection of beautiful gunongs. Congratulations my friend on this great score that you have made. Once you have this in hand you will see how unique this blade really is. In the meantime, here is a poor quality photo that at least gives a little better idea of how pronounced the blade's medial ridge actually is.

Best,
Robert
Hello Robert,

thank you for your kind words and help, like you know it was a neglected piece and poorly photographed by the seller. I am more as happy with the outcome after you have given it some maintenance. And like all others I am not aware to have seen such a shape by gunong blades before.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 26th June 2016, 12:14 PM   #130
Sajen

Here a "new" family member, a rather "simple" exemplar. When it arrives at it destination was found that the handle was broken in two parts and the wooden parts of the scabbard are rotted.

The pictures showes it after my good friend Robert has restored the handle and has worked a complete new scabbard for it including the fittings for it. Again an outstanding work, now it is a beautiful example of this type.
Attached Images

Old 26th June 2016, 01:13 PM   #131
Ferguson

Simple, sweet and honest little piece. Congratulations!

Nice work on the scabbard Robert. What type of wood did you use?

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 02:24 PM   #132
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
Simple, sweet and honest little piece. Congratulations!
Thank you Steve!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 26th June 2016, 06:38 PM   #133
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, I am very happy that you are pleased with the way that this has turned out. I just wish that the original scabbard could have been saved as well, but the wood rot was much too extensive to even attempt a restoration. When being handled the scabbard would actually start to crumble when touched in many areas. There is a small spot of this rot on the hilt (the dark spot) that I was able to stabilize so that no reprofiling of the wood of the hilt would be necessary.

Steve, Thank you for your kind words on the restoration work. The scabbard is made of wood salvaged from a couple of old talibong scabbards that were in themselves far too damaged to repair. I am not sure of what the correct name for this wood is, but it looks and has the grain pattern and characteristics of some of the mahoganies that I have worked with before.

Best,
Robert
Old 27th June 2016, 10:50 AM   #134
Sajen

Quote:
I am very happy that you are pleased with the way that this has turned out.
Very pleased my friend!
Old 18th July 2016, 05:06 PM   #135
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
QUITE A NICE DISPLAY AND CONGRADULATIONS ON AQUIRING SUCH AN UNUSUAL KNIFE.
I SAW THIS EXAMPLE OF PISTOL KNIFE SELL A WHILE BACK AS A CIVIL WAR BOWIE WITH A 7 INCH BLADE. IT LOOKS VERY SIMULAR, SO I PUT IT HERE FOR COMPARISON. I WONDER WHEN AND WHERE THESE WERE MADE. PERHAPS SPANISH AMERICAN WAR ERA OR SHORTLY THERE AFTER?
Here another very nice one which was listed several times by ebay but extreme expensive and wrong described as made from a blacksmith from Texas!
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2016, 05:21 PM   #136
Sajen

Here all four examples side by side for comparision.
Attached Images

Old 20th July 2016, 05:01 PM   #137
Robert
EAAF Staff

Another great addition to your ever growing family of gunong Detlef. I really like the mother of pearl grips on this one. One day I hope to find one of these to add to my own small collection of gunong. Congratulations on another great score.

Best,
Robert
Old 20th July 2016, 06:27 PM   #138
Sajen

Quote:
Another great addition to your ever growing family of gunong Detlef. I really like the mother of pearl grips on this one. One day I hope to find one of these to add to my own small collection of gunong. Congratulations on another great score.

Best,
Robert
Hello Robert,

no, not a new addition to my collection, sadly. It was far to expensive with nearly $500! I only want to show another one of this seldom seen type of gunong. About one year ago I've contacted the seller and told him that this dagger isn't for sure made from a blacksmith in Texas but from one at the Philippines but he never respond.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 20th July 2016, 09:01 PM   #139
Robert
EAAF Staff

That is a shame as it would have found a good home with lots of new friends. I have run into sellers before that have been told something outlandish about an item they have by a "so call expert" and there was absolutely no way possible to convince them otherwise. Even showing them published examples with the correct information about the item would not change their minds.

Best,
Robert
Old 20th July 2016, 09:47 PM   #140
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
That is a shame as it would have found a good home with lots of new friends. I have run into sellers before that have been told something outlandish about an item they have by a "so call expert" and there was absolutely no way possible to convince them otherwise. Even showing them published examples with the correct information about the item would not change their minds.

Best,
Robert
Robert I have often found the same thing, and then figure out that the dealers paid way too much and so need to stiff others to get their money back out if the item.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 10:19 PM   #141
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Robert I have often found the same thing, and then figure out that the dealers paid way too much and so need to stiff others to get their money back out if the item.
I believe that this is at times the same with individuals as well. Sometimes they will pay too much for something because they buy the story being told and not the item itself. Then instead of just writing it off as a bad decision they try to recoup their investment by passing on the same story (even knowing it is incorrect) in hope someone else will buy it. Others just make up their minds that what they have been told is the absolute truth and nothing can be said to change their minds.

Best,
Robert
Old 20th July 2016, 10:28 PM   #142
Sajen

Quote:
I've shown the seller also the pictures of the here shown other examples but like said don't get respond. It could be that Jose hit the bull's eye.
Here a part of the sellers description: You are bidding on a one of a kind custom made 1890's Gun Handled Boot Knife with its custom made leather sheath. It is absolutely perfect in every way. I was told by the person that I purchased the knife from that this knife was purchased many years ago from the great grandson of the maker of the knife - a blacksmith from San Antonio, Texas. The knife measures 8 1/8 inches long by 4 1/8 inches wide, and the blade is 1/4 inch at its widest point. The blade is accented with a simplistic geometric design. The handles are made of mother-of-pearl.
Old 24th July 2016, 09:40 AM   #143
Sajen

I have to add pictures of a new addition to my collection, I think that it is from around 1910 until 1920. The fittings are from silver, enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2017, 09:41 AM   #144
Sajen

After long time I was able to add a "new" member to the family, sadly without scabbard but an early and somewhat unusual piece with 13 luk and a brass inlay on the blade, will post better pictures when I have it in my hands, here the seller pictures. The dagger is 26 cm long (10.24").
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 7th October 2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Add length
Old 8th October 2017, 12:53 AM   #145
Robert
EAAF Staff

What a beautiful and what looks to be late 19th century example that you have been fortunate enough to add to your ever growing collection of gunongs. I cannot tell for sure from the photos so I ask, can tell me is the brass medial ridge is brazed to the surface of the blade or is it as I believe and is actually inlaid into it? Either way it makes for a most interesting as well as very unusual piece. My congratulations for your good fortune in acquiring this piece.

Best,
Robert
Old 8th October 2017, 02:11 AM   #146
Sajen

Hello Robert,

the seller stated that it is an inlay on both sides but I will know it for sure when I have received it. And thank you for confirming my age guess and your kind words!

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 8th October 2017, 03:23 AM   #147
Robert
EAAF Staff

I believe that what the seller has told you is correct. I just notice that in one of the photos you have posted that there is a section where it looks as though there might be a little separation of the two metals. This is something that is more indicative of this being an inlay than of a weld releasing. I have attached the photo below that shows this area a bit better, but we will only know for sure after it has arrived and you have had a chance to inspect it more closely.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 8th October 2017, 04:20 AM   #148
russel

Stunning example Detlef, congratulations!
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 08:36 AM   #149
Sajen

Quote:
I believe that what the seller has told you is correct. I just notice that in one of the photos you have posted that there is a section where it looks as though there might be a little separation of the two metals. This is something that is more indicative of this being an inlay than of a weld releasing. I have attached the photo below that shows this area a bit better, but we will only know for sure after it has arrived and you have had a chance to inspect it more closely.

Best,
Robert
Wow, you have a very good eye Robert!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 8th October 2017, 08:37 AM   #150
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
Stunning example Detlef, congratulations!
Thank you mate!

Regards,
Detlef