Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd August 2014, 03:16 AM   #1
archer

Default Forum Photos on Google images

Hi,
A friend Emailed Me from Zurich today to say he'd been offered Two El Glaoui Koummaya for sale with a letter from the deceased former owner. I did some checking as I'd been seeing my collection items photos on various image search sites including Pinterest. Long story short, I don't mind the images so much,but, a Google search for gold koummya produced even the provenance letter. Can we stop this sort of thing it clearly is credited to this forum. here's the initial thread. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15848

I see photos that have logos. what steps are necessary to add this to your photos?

Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 07:13 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Steve. As far as i know the short answer is no. Anything that you place on the internet, be it on a forum, Facebook or other social media or an online auction, it is going to get picked up on search engines like Google. The bottom line is that if you don't want something to show up in these searches then you should not put that image onto the web to begin with. This has nothing to do with the operation of this particular site, it is the nature of the internet.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 07:18 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
I see photos that have logos. what steps are necessary to add this to your photos?
Are you referring to images that have "watermarks"? This is not an application available though this site. Most people do this with photoshop or some other photo software. You might find this link helpful.
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Watermark-to-Photos
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Steve:

Yes, the poster of an image to an online site can put a watermark or logo on that image before posting it. Adding some sort of identifier to a graphic is accomplished with many different graphics programs. It's simply a matter of copying another small graphic and posting it on to the picture you want to show, then using a "group" feature in the graphics program to make it all one graphic.

Unfortunately, any identifier that you add can be removed easily with a number of programs (some of which are free) available online.

So, basically, whatever is posted to a public forum or shows up on a Google search can be copied, altered, and used for scamming. This happens frequently.

Sad but true.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

If these are your photos, you can contact Google and Pinterest and advise them that you hold copyright to specified images and request they remove them under the DMCA.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote