Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 21st July 2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A Fine Saxon Two Hand Processional Flamberg Sword, ca. 1590

Sold Bonhams, London, July 20, 2011.

Identical swords are preserved in the Dresden Rüstkammer (amory).

The historic German term Flamberg derives from the waved blade which reminds of a flickering flame.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These huge and extremely formidable looking swords have always intrigued me, especially as to why they had the undulating blades, and if they were ever really used in combat. Most references I have seen make note of the misnomer 'flamberge' which seems to apply to the name of the sword of one of Charlemagnes paladins in those romantic epics of chivalry Renaud de Montauban.
Victorian interpretations often added the allusion of the Biblical accounts of the flaming sword guarding paradise, and these may be associated with descriptions of the Tylers sword in Freemasonry. It is often argued that the correct term is 'flammard' or 'flambard', but it seems the terms are so close that the variation is not particularly relevant, and the commonly held term emplaced by earlier writers and collectors is sufficient.

Some references note that these swords with 'flamboyant edge' were used only for state ceremonies, used by Dukes of Burgundy and in England until the time of William III (1689-1702). Other accounts claim that these were used early on by landsknechts and most often by most skilled swordsmen, doppelsoldner's, within the pike squares to guard important figures.

I am unclear on the parrying hooks (flukes) seen on these huge swords, and whether the undulating edges of the blade were really effective at cutting if these were indeed used in combat. It would seem incredibly difficult to manuever a weapon of this heft in parrying, and would like to hear more on the actual use of these huge swords.

Wonderful post Michael, thank you!!! I really look forward to more on these.

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 03:36 PM   #3
GIO

In fact the practical use of these swords has puzzled many weapon-experts.
Sometimes they are referred to as "processional swords", being carried as symbol of authority, but also an employment in warfare, as lance and halberd-breaker, is supposed.
In old etchings (I remember one, probably made by Durer) two landscknechts are represented carrying such swords on their shoulders.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

The heavy 15th and early 16th c. Landsknecht two hand swords were of different form and used by the Doppelsöldner to brandish with great force in order to destroy the opponents' long pikes. They usually had straight blades.

By the late 16th century, they had all had become mere bearing or processional swords and changed their form.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...sknecht+swords

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht+hand+swords

Best,
Michael
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Michael and Gio, nicely explained. It seems that most of the references I found pertaining to the wavy edges do not consider any notable advantage to the presumed increased cutting surface of this feature. It is noted that the forging and maintainance of these blades would be more involved, thus it does seem a feature 'for effect' in dramatic presence rather than use. It is interesting that artistic license seems to place these wavy blade types with Landsknechts in many instances. It is also interesting that the vestigial parrying hooks remain present on these non combative bearing swords.

The use of the heavy two handers in combat as noted to destroy long pikes seems understandably effective but I am unsure how the equally large claymores in Scotland were used in thier type of warfare.

All the best,
Jim
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Jim,

Though this is not my main field of expertise, I would surmise that the beautiful Scottish Claymores had much the same purpose as their continental alikes.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=claymore

As to the notably heavy weight of these early two hand swords we should remember that the Doppelsöldner Landsknechts who wielded them had extensive exercise in effectively managing those monsters that surprise us with their weight today. And they accordingly received double pay.

Best,
Michael
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
. It is interesting that artistic license seems to place these wavy blade types with Landsknechts in many instances. It is also interesting that the vestigial parrying hooks remain present on these non combative bearing swords.
All the best,
Jim

Hi Jim,

You are absolutely right, of course: the wavy blades characteristically correspond to the early Renaissance artistic taste, and it is interesting indeed that they should mostly occur on late Renaissance types. The parrying hooks on those late big swords seem nothing more but a stylistic reminiscence of their practical use half a century before.

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 23rd July 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Wonderful post Michael, thank you!!! I really look forward to more on these.
All the best,
Jim
Done, Jim,

And an early type of the 1540s, too!

Best,
Michael
Old 25th July 2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Jim,

Though this is not my main field of expertise, I would surmise that the beautiful Scottish Claymores had much the same purpose as their continental alikes.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=claymore

As to the notably heavy weight of these early two hand swords we should remember that the Doppelsöldner Landsknechts who wielded them had extensive exercise in effectively managing those monsters that surprise us with their weight today. And they accordingly received double pay.

Best,
Michael

Thank you so much Michael for the replies, and indeed it seems these guys had to get some serious practice to use these huge swords. According to studies by John Clements, these were not as heavy as often thought though. In a compilation of notes on some 69 of the two handers in Graz, they ranged in weight from about 3 lbs (the lightest) to around between 5-7 lbs. with the heaviest about 13 lbs. Most of that weight seem to have been as noted, bearing or processional swords.
While largely obsolete by end of the 16th century, it seems the Scots did carry them in some degree through the 17th, with even some reports of them as late as Culloden (1746). We know of course that like the landsknechts, the Scots were mercenaries, and brought numbers of these back from their campaigns on the Continent.

Clements notes there are no real recorded guides to the actual method of use of these in combat, but for the references to using them among pike squares and to disable halberds and other polearms. I would suspect that with the Scots these may have been useful in clearing openings in melee in a sense, and these would literally mow down opponents en masse. The English termed them 'slaughter swords'.

I couldnt resist an illustration of a MacDougall clansman with one nearly as big as him. Aye, hoist a Drambuie!!!

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Old 25th July 2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Jim,

I would love to hoist a Drambuie to you and your clansman but I have none. Will a 16 yo Lagavulin do? I'll receive it this week and raise the first glass to the MacDougall clan and their claymores!

Best,
Michael