Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2018, 02:39 AM   #1
Bryce

Default Osborn's G Stamp

G'day Guys,

British swords from the period 1796-1816 are often encountered with a "G" or sometimes "GG" stamp on the ricasso. Over the years there has been a lot of discussion about who manufactured these blades and what the G stamp stood for. Over at the Antique Swords Forum we have been doing some research on this topic:

http://antiqueswordforum.com/viewtop...66de7cce326af8

I am convinced that the G stamp was an inspection stamp used by the British sword cutler Henry Osborn and then Osborn and Gunby, on their officers' quality sword blades.

So far it appears that all Osborn marked officers' sword blades also have a G or GG stamp and many (but not all) Osborn and Gunby marked blades do as well. It is likely that at some point between about 1810 and 1816, Osborn and Gunby stopped stamping their blades in this way. I haven't seen a G stamped blade that was also marked to a different maker other than Osborn or Osborn and Gunby.

To help answer this question once and for all, I would appreciate it if anyone who has an Osborn, Osborn and Gunby or G stamped British sword could pull it out and check it for a G stamp or other markings and post the result. With 1796 light cavalry models with langets it can be very difficult to spot the stamp. You need to pull up the leather washer and shine a light behind the langet to see it properly. Remember, we are looking for a "G" stamp, not engraved G's.

I am particularly interested in dateable Osborn and Gunby marked swords, to try and narrow down the date when they stopped G stamping them.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Cheers,

Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 05:59 AM   #2
Hotspur

There was this discussion elsewhere. The German explanation perhaps the best rationale. It is most likely not for Gill or Gunby. It came up again in anther thread there but is misplaced in my mind at the moment. That one as well pointed to the German connection and use of it. If I remember the context I'll try to dig it up.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...6963-What-up-G

Cheers
GC

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...fy-my-swords-1
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 04:54 AM   #3
Bryce

Thanks for posting these links GC.

Just to sum up what we have found so far.

1. All Osborn marked officer swords have a G or GG stamp and Osborn made his own swords in England.
2. Many, but not all Osborn and Gunby swords have a G or GG stamp.
3. No Gill swords have a G or GG stamp.
4. JJ Runkel swords do not have a G stamp and they were all imported from Solingen.
5. No other sword makers' swords of this period have this G stamp.

What this seems to rule out then are the following theories:

1. It is an import/export mark.
2. It is G for Gill.
3. It is a german manufacturing mark.

The only thing these G stamped swords have in common is that they were made by Osborn/Osborn and Gunby or if unmarked or marked to a retailer, likely to have been made by Osborn.

As Dmitry asked in the SFI thread if enough collectors could look at their swords for G stamps and post the results we can solve this one for good.

Cheers,

Bryce
Old 27th May 2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Hotspur

As posted, several Bolton swords have the mark and the G-GG have been verified as used in Germany.
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 11:45 PM   #5
Bryce

Thanks GC,

It seems odd that Bolton who made so many swords for the American market didn't seem to make any for the British market?

Is it possible he sourced his blades from Osborn?

I don't have a copy of Mowbray. Does he shed any more light on this?

In regards to the German theory, what about these sword blades could be considered as "Legally Protected"? Henry Osborn together with John Gaspard Le Marchant is credited with designing the 1796 cavalry swords, but not the spadroons that also carry the G stamp.

Cheers,

Bryce
Old 28th May 2018, 02:58 AM   #6
Bryce

GC you may be interested in this G stamped Osborn that I own. These are the dealers pics as I have never gotten round to photographing it myself.

Cheers,

Bryce
Attached Images