Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default NORTHERN EUROPEAN HELMET ZISCHAGGE from the 17 TH Century URGENT NEED HELP !

Hi everybody,
I urgently need an opinion on this NORTHERN EUROPEAN HELMET ZISCHAGGE said to be from the 17 TH Century, as i don’t have any knowledge in this kind of helmets. I ‘m sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, they were taken with my cellphone. I will be very happy to have some opinions and to be informed in the case that this helmet has something suspicious, for example the Nasal protection or Ear plates ….
I hope I will have some advice about this helmet.
Regards

Cerjak
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 3rd March 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Cerjak

Default more pics

more pics
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Cerjak,

Sorry to see that nobody has responded so far.

My expertise in parts of armor is very limited, and my expert friend whom I linked with your query has not yet replied.
Telling from the surface condition and the visible criteria of manufacture, like the patina, washers etc., I would not doubt that this is an original Zischagge from the second half of the 17th c., probably of Polish origin.
Sadly I cannot answer your detailed questions with sufficient authority but I noticed a similar piece ending on ebay a couple of days ago, which my friend thought was a fake; I differed from his opinion and it fetched 1,100 euro.

Hoping this will be of at least some help,
best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

One more.
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Cerjak,

Finally my friend contacted me. He, too, thinks that the Zischagge is completely genuine but might be a bit younger (later) than I thought it was, probably from the period of Prince Eugen, ca. 1700, and most probably from the Balkan region.

Best,
Michael
Old 4th March 2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Cerjak,

Finally my friend contacted me. He, too, thinks that the Zischagge is completely genuine but might be a bit younger (later) than I thought it was, probably from the period of Prince Eugen, ca. 1700, and most probably from the Balkan region.

Best,
Michael
Michael
Many thanks for those information’s.
I could see some differences on the fabrication between those 2 helmets. This one from your post don't have nasal protection and the Ear plates seems to not fit with the helmet. The laminated tail over the back of the neck is build with 3 plates of metal only.
and fabrication process is hidden by the black paint ,it seems that a double layer of metal was used to made the bowl but we can't see from the inside the rivets.
I would like to say more but with my Basic English it is difficult to translate my full opinion.
I will have a look too in this fantastic book from George Cameron Stone "A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries and in All Times "
On it there is so many photos (only small size and black& white) but it is a so exhaustive book for the period!

Kind regards
CERJAK
Old 7th December 2015, 04:52 PM   #7
ulfberth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
Hi everybody,
I urgently need an opinion on this NORTHERN EUROPEAN HELMET ZISCHAGGE said to be from the 17 TH Century, as i don’t have any knowledge in this kind of helmets. I ‘m sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, they were taken with my cellphone. I will be very happy to have some opinions and to be informed in the case that this helmet has something suspicious, for example the Nasal protection or Ear plates ….
I hope I will have some advice about this helmet.
Regards

Cerjak
Hello Cerjak,

Do you still have this lobster tail helmet ?
It is one of the nicest I have ever seen!
Kind regards
Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 09:29 AM   #8
Cerjak

Hi ulfberth,

Yes of course this helmet is still in my collection and will stay for long time.
You are right ,I have seen many zishagges but never from this quality.
As previously wrote this helmet is very heavy ( two times more than the common zishagges and also still his original black varnish .
Also his size seems bigger than other exemplar.
The only picture I have found is from an french auction house and it seems that it is the same helmet.
also the second helmet showed in my thread is not anymore in my collection : I have send it back to the seller because it was not an original but only a good reproduction ,and such copy are regularly offered in auctions so it ‘s why I would like to warn all the members to be very suspicious about such type of helmet.
best
Cerjak
Attached Images