Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st August 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
katana

Default 2 swords for ID please.

Does anyone recognise these 2 regulation (?) Sabres.

No dimensions as yet (swords not yet received) but several pictures to get the ball rolling. Condition is poor and the knucklebow from the lion headed pommel sword is missing. Not certain whether the other should have one or not.
I'm hoping that I can at least improve the condition of these 'old warriors'.

All comments, advice and information gratefully received thank you

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi David,
I'm about as rusty on recalling ID on regulation pattern military sabres as these swords themselves but off the cuff and without hitting the books (too tired for another excavation in the bookmobile) I would say the top one with fluted ivory appears to be American officers. The pommel resembles earlier French officers swords also, along with the fluted langet. Looks early 19th, for U.S.......Federal period.

The second example seems Continental European officers, probably latter 18th c. into early 19th, the langet seems Prussian or Austrian. Admittedly just guesses, but think the time frames.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:28 PM   #3
katana

Hi Jim ,
thank you ...I had seen French swords with a very similar pommel (on the fluted handled sabre) but they were shorter ....US could be a good call. Hopefully they will arrive soon and I'll be able to improve the description ... I suppose I should be a little more patient ...a few pictures isn't really much to go on All the best

Kind Regards David
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Jim ,
thank you ...I had seen French swords with a very similar pommel (on the fluted handled sabre) but they were shorter ....US could be a good call. Hopefully they will arrive soon and I'll be able to improve the description ... I suppose I should be a little more patient ...a few pictures isn't really much to go on All the best

Kind Regards David

You bet David! I'm glad you posted these and we'll surely get closer in on the ID soon. I need to locate my copy of "The American Sword" (Peterson) on the fluted ivory one, and the other I'm pretty sure will turn up in Wagner ("Cut and Thrust Weapons"). Both are pretty well buried in here!
Thank you as always for your kind response

All the best,
Jim
Old 4th August 2011, 05:32 PM   #5
katana

Hi Jim ...helpful as usual

Swords have arrived....and have just had a quick basic clean....

Lion head pommel Sabre has a broad single fuller which finishes approx 6 1/2" from the point. The blade has a sharpened false edge and the spine has distal taper and the edge is still quite sharp. Handle leather over wood...no signs of there ever being any wire wrap. The ends of the remaining guard look to be 'snapped' off ...rather than cut

Blade length 83cms/32.5 "
Blade width at forte 28mm / 1 1/8"
Spine at forte 8mm/ 5/16"

Any ideas Gentlemen ??

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 4th August 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 4th August 2011, 05:44 PM   #6
katana

Fluted handle sword ....broad single fuller terminating approx 5" before the point, sharpened false edge, sharp edge and spine has distal taper. Handle material is 'organic' , no 'burnt hair' smell from 'hot pin test' ...so not certain what it is ...seems quite hard though (either through age or the material itself)

Blade length following curve 81cms/ 32"
Blade width at forte 28mm / 1 1/16"
Spine max thickness 5mm / 1/5"

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2011, 07:49 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Oh, i like the one with the organic material handle and the rather curved blade
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 12:19 PM   #8
katana

Hi 'Nando ,
I do too....although the handle may have been fitted upside down....it handles OK as it is...but looks slightly odd but does follow the line of the pommel section.....the handle has a lenghways split in it and I believe was removed (without removing pommel nut) and refixed the wrong way round. As there is no movement I'm assuming someone has used aradite to stick it to the tang.
The sword is light and fast. Once identified ...I'll make a decision as to whether I repair/restore it.

Kind Regards David
Old 5th August 2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

David, these are both enticing sabers, and well worthy of being stabilized with conservative restoration (I always hate overcleaning....an old salt like me relates to patination)

I've been plowing through stuff here in the bookmobile but at the same time getting ready for another departure northward. In Wagner ("Cut and Thrust Weapons" Prague, 1967) I did find, as suspected, an Austrian parallel to the lionhead. On page 434, plate 64, this same basic style is seen on the sabre of a senior noncommissioned officer in the 'Prima Plana' infantry with the years 1776-1777.
In the case of the sabre illustrated in Wagner however, the hilt is in brass and has a knucklegard, and the quillon extends straight out (as on French military sabres). The ecusson/langet on the crossguard is this same rounded diamond shape, and is profiled.

While it is not a perfect match, it is the same lionhead form with capstan on pommel, the same langet form and similar grip type. This of course suggests the Continental provenance of the sabre and that your sabre is 'of the type' and probably produced in period or subsequently within reasonable time, but for other issue.
Is there evidence that a knuckleguard was present, as should be on these type hilts? The quillon is curiously pointed downward with no terminal, is it broken off? The metal is dull gray, can you tell what material?

As for the other sabre, still no match, but as previously noted, these type pommels are known to have been on French sabres which usually carried neoclassic themes in motif. The United States typically followed French fashions in military uniform and weaponry post-Revolutionary War but in larger degree at the opening of the 19th century (Federal Period).

In this sabre the pommel is of similar form to the officers swords later in the century, and the fluted grips also. French sword grips often had vertical fluting but ebony was much more common. The interesting vertically sectioned langet seems to suggest U.S. as well as the notably parabolically curved blade. These strong curves were much favored on some of the earlier U.S. sabres, particularly those made by the Virginia Manufactory. Many of these early sabres were incredibly long with dramatic curve, and most were shortened down by Confederate officers during the 'War Between the States' (Civil War) as I was told vehemently to call it when I lived in Nashville!
There is nothing comparable in "The American Sword" (H.L.Peterson) but I just noticed Fernando's astute comment....the material in the grip does indeed appear 'organic' and when cleaned...ebony? If so, this is French I would think.

As always.....more research to be done

All the best,
Jim
Old 5th August 2011, 11:06 PM   #10
katana

Hi Jim ,
thank you for the 'book bashing' and the info greatly appreciated...

The "lion headed" is certainly missing its knucklebow ....the end of which would have 'terminated' in the lion's mouth. The opposite quillion is indeed broken and appears to be slightly bent forward ...how or why I don't know ...but am certain it was originally straight. The remaining 'crossguard', pommel and backstrap are heavily oxidised brass. So it certainly fits your description of the Austrian Infantry Sabre

As to the other sword.....further examination confirms a very hard, dry, close grained wood with some age (under magnification it almost looks 'petrified' ...and I don't mean 'fearful' ) This sword also is missing the finial from the upper most quillion and the knucklebow ...which would have terminated in a hole at the 'base' of the pommel . Remaining 'crossguard' is steel and would assume that the knucklebow and finial would have been the same.
These 2 swords came from the same source ....and its very strange that both have almost the identical damage/lost parts. Whether, it was a previous owners whim to do this ( ) or was legitimate modification or damage I have no idea. The patina/oxidation on the fractured ends of the brass 'crossguard' is very old ....so the loss of the knucklebow/finial was some time ago....perhaps genuine 'battle damage'
The seller bought these from an antique dealer some 60 years ago.....they were 'paired' together when originally bought by the antique dealer....so they have been 'brothers' for some time. It would be extremely exciting to find out that these both may be 'bring backs" from the Napoleonic wars....Austerlitz..Waterloo ...and all that .......imagination and hope, the bane of being a collector
All the best
David
Old 6th August 2011, 04:53 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi David,
Absolutely my pleasure!!! Its fun looking into these and I hope they turn up to be as noted, Napoleonic provenance. Stuff this long together and left pretty much static all these years are pretty compelling circumstances.
Guess this will not be one of my long boring posts the one deleted was some weird glitch I havent seen before, but it posted your post which I quoted and my text disappeared.......maybe it was the UFO program on TV that was on.
First animal mutilations, then human abductions..now my posts!!!!

Lets keep looking, I know Ive seen that langet style somewhere!

All the best,
Jim
Old 6th August 2011, 08:18 PM   #12
katana

Hi Jim,
UFO's you say.....not been 'hittin' a few single malts at the same time as the books, have we ?? ...

I've posted the sword on SFI ....it has been suggested that as the stirrup guard would have been steel, it would have been un-usual for a French sword. The langets were also questionable for a French sword. Suggested countries were Italy or even Britain. The Langet shape is a common 'British' shape ...but I have not found one with the 'striped' design.

Kind Regards David
Old 6th August 2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

LOL! Good one David! and actually I'ver been known to have a Drambuie or two while on these 'adventures' .......there was the incident of swinging the tulwar around during a stirring rendition of some heavy metal thunder and forgetting about the ceiling fan whirring above me

Good points on the stripes not likely being French, and agreed it seems the French in these times favored an elliptical shape on most langets. It's funny, noting your mention of SFI.....over there it is strictly verboten to mention our forum ......I was warned in one instance where I did, just prior to my encouragement to leave entirely for the unforgivable transgression of posting too much. Here there is no problem, we are aware there are other forums and actually have no fear of that. Here I'm free to babble as much as I like

The vertical fluting was much favored as early as Revolutionary War (checked Neumann, but no luck), also checked Blair, no luck there either.
French weapons are pretty specialized, and I sure miss having Jean Binck around. The guys who have references like Buigne and Aries dont seem to visit here much and we seldom see French swords posted.

The search goes on.

All the best,
Jim
Old 7th August 2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Hotspur

Quote:
In this sabre the pommel is of similar form to the officers swords later in the century, and the fluted grips also. French sword grips often had vertical fluting but ebony was much more common. The interesting vertically sectioned langet seems to suggest U.S. as well as the notably parabolically curved blade. These strong curves were much favored on some of the earlier U.S. sabres, particularly those made by the Virginia Manufactory. Many of these early sabres were incredibly long with dramatic curve, and most were shortened down by Confederate officers during the 'War Between the States' (Civil War) as I was told vehemently to call it when I lived in Nashville!

There is nothing comparable in "The American Sword" (H.L.Peterson) but I just noticed Fernando's astute comment....the material in the grip does indeed appear 'organic' and when cleaned...ebony? If so, this is French I would think.
Hi Jim,

It is sometimes hard not to counter formula such as 4+16=47 because we can be pretty sure it is false. Both the reeded grips and funky langets are hardly American at all, with parallels easily found on British cutlery, the source of many American arms in the post revolution period. While I could point to/attach many examples of the grips and langet style on American market eagle head pommels, the cutlery and forms are still distinctly British, French and Prussian.

Peterson does not go to the long neck French pommels but contemporary upscale officers swords being cutlered in America are found there (for instance Emmor T Weaver). The work of American swordmakers aside, the upswept blade is also hardly unique to the U.S. and the trend lasts for decades on the continent.

So I can see how you can get to 47 by adding 4 and 16 with a good bit of supposition but we cold also suppose Birmingham was really in Alsace

The noodly design on the langet is not uncommon at all on British swords and the iron hilt kind of odd for France but not as odd if perhaps put together by a cutler drawing from different sources.

As an addendum to Peterson, we now have the Medicus collection indexed with little speculation but there are some examples f these long neck French types. Not surprising to me that both Stuart Mowbray and Norm Flayderman segregate them on a single page while listing them as not made for American use ut may have been carried by an American.

Stating French design dominating U.S. swords after the revolution is a bit off as well because the market was by and large being supplied by England and Prussia. It is not until the demise of swords such as the American 1833 dragoon that a real coalition and adoption of French style then prevails.

One aside on the thought of highly upswept blades is that there was meant to be less shock transmitted in a passing blow. At times that may be seen taken to an extreme. We could then add 57 and point out dragoons were often and really meant as mounted infabtry, thus why we might find a spadroon blade embellished to a dragoon, or why sabre blades were clipped in history to better suit fighing on foot.

So if we add 47 and 57, I guess we come up with 96

Cheers and happy Sunday

GC
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 05:18 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Glen,
Very well made points, and all well taken......good math analogy too! In reading your comments I can clearly see the weaker points in my comments which should have been more carefully worded. Actually I wish I had the Mowbray book on eagleheads and I remember well Flayderman and the Medicus colledction.....it has been so many years since I was involved in these areas of collecting. Your knowledge on these weapons is commendable and outstanding, and thank you for clarifying these important points.

You are absolutely right on the period of French domination on influence of American weapons actually after the M1833 (which was indeed very much the design of the British M1821) and the import of Solingen products was very much in place. Though the M1840 dragoon sabre was indeed modelled on the French sabres, as I understand Ames was not entirely prepared to produce and some of the first examples were Solingen produced...followed by Ames who became the primary producer, followed by others.

When I noted the vertically reeded grips I was thinking of the number of these seen among American swords used in the Revolutionary War and it seems the form in ivory remained in the NCO and militia swords of c.1840s.

Actually I didn't mean to imply that the deep parabolic blades were unique to the U.S. (again my wording) only that they seemed to be favored in these Virginia sabres of the first pattern. Naturally on the Continent they were quite well known and I have a British M1796 with one of these extremely parabolic blades as well, with pipe or rod back. I understand that many of the flank company officers in Great Britain favored these type blades.

I think your abstract math analogy is perfect in reference to these swords and blades from the American Revolution, and into the 19th century with the commerce of England, France and Prussia. The American use of so many types of swords from so many countries; the Solingen supply of blades to France and Napoleon's development of the blademaking center at Klingenthal in Alsace, which has been alternately German and French so often; and the complex sword scandals in England between German imports and English made blades are perplexing to say the least!!

Thank you again Glen, for answering me personally, and especially for bringing out these most valid points. I still would like to find more on this sabre, I think the Austrian ID on the other pretty sound.

All the very best,
Jim
Old 8th August 2011, 02:14 PM   #16
katana

Here is a picture provided by a very helpful formite on SFI. It is described as a light cavalry sword....likely, mine is the Infantry Officer's variant. The blade inscibed "Vive Napoleon" .....long live Napoleon ...so obviously French. The hilt not a perfect match, but, too close to ignore. It has also been suggested that the more parabolic curved blade (marmaluke style blade) on my example, is quite rare.
It seems that the evidence is starting to strongly suggest French and, possibly, of the Napoleonic era. I have read that the stirrup hilts were prone to battle damage and in the case of the Cavalry, damage from the rider falling from his horse (with sword in hand).

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

Old 9th August 2011, 12:35 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is excellent David, and thank you for posting this beautiful saber which truly does offer compelling evidence to Napoleonic French for your saber.

I have been pondering over Glen's well presented rebuttal concerning some of my previous comments concerning my thoughts toward possible U.S. provenance for this, and the close ties between American and French swords both during and post Revolutionary War. As noted, I was drawing on somewhat distant recollections, but wanted to illustrate the sources as well as points for consideration which led me to my comments.

I looked to H.L.Peterson's "The American Sword" and found interesting notes concerning swords of the U.S. Marines, who of course still use the Mameluke sabre adopted from thier exposure to these during wars with the 'Barbary Pirates' in 1801-1805. These same type ivory hilted sabres were adopted by the French and British after thier campaigns in Egypt.
Interestingly, Peterson (#142, p.165) notes one of the early swords used by the Marines from 1804-1818. While most Marine swords seem to have followed artillery officers swords of the time, this interesting sabre (which apparantly belonged to Francis Wharton, the commandant) .."illustrates a type of French sword which was quite popular among American officers of the period".
On p.192 (Peterson, op.cit. #159) the eaglehead sword presented to to Lt. Presley O'Bannon of the Marines for his valor at the action at Derna in 1805 has the distinct knucklegard feature of the drop down semi arc seen on the Napoleonic sabre posted here. This sabre was Baltimore made and reflects again the French influence on American swords.

Another interesting case illustrating the common thread between French and American swords brings in, as noted, the British. The British infantry officers sword known as the pattern 1786 (or commonly 'five ball hilt') has the five bead pattern on the knuckleguard as well as on the raised crossguard. Brian Robson ("British Military Swords", p.107, fig. 4) notes that around 1790 a "...similar hilt in either gold or silver, described as a'l'anglaise (in the English style) was in use in France from about 1800, mainly by naval and dragoon officers. A hilt of the same kind was prescribed for infantry officers in the American army between 1812-1840".

Returning to the mameluke sabre of the USMC, it cannot be stated that the style was taken from either the French or the British, but interestingly seems derived from separate influence with the Barbary pirate wars noted despite being contemporary with those used by French and British officers in these times. The mameluke sabre was described in Marine regulations of 1825, but it is noted that Marine officers were likely wearing them prior.

With these notes I would qualify my reference to French influence in military fashion and weapons as being in considerable degree rather than typical, and avoid implying 'dominant'.

It seems that post Revolutionary War the neoclassicism in Greco-Roman themes of French style of the times was in distinct accord with America's growing national identity, and well received in conjunction with other American patriotic symbolism. After France joined the United States in the war naturally many numbers of French swords such as the M1767 grenadier sabres and others were well represented. Peterson notes, concerning the NCO sword adopted in 1840 (p.13) that the form was "...based principally on a type used in the French army", but that it was also reminiscent of a model used in England.

With regard to the comments on the long, parabolically curved blades I wanted to add the references I was thinking of in suggesting this sabre might be of the type of early U.S. form. Peterson (op.cit. pp.26-27) discusses the Virginia Manufactory sabres of 1803-1820, known collectively as types #1, #2 and hunts at a third, with variations on hilt and somewhat blades. I had noted that these were later altered by Confederate officers during the Civil War from the dramatic 40 1/2" curved blades, shortened to 35".
The notes to 18th century cavalry being 'dragoons' and actually mounted infantry who dismounted and fought on foot usually are well placed. It was in the latter 18th century when the fast moving light cavalry concept was being adopted from East Europe and Continental forces that the use of the sabre became prevalent for cavalry in England. On the Continent the use of the sabre for cavalry was around considerably before this.
By the end of the 18th century there were indeed similarities in the swords/sabres used by cavalry, infantry officers, and artillery officers. in many cases as well, naval officers used sabres of cavalry type, shorter of course.

All of this does not necessarily offer more to the identification of David's fascinating sabre, and I simply wanted to reinforce the connections between U.S. and French swords from the Revolutionary War into the 19th century.
The vertically lined shield type langet to me was quite reminiscent of Federal period motif, though the 'halbrundschild' type heater (shield) is more Austrian or Swiss via heraldic standards. The 'Phrygian helmet' style pommel (Peterson, p.44) is as noted known quite early in French neoclassic hilt features and used in many U.S. sword forms through the 19th c.

Anthony North notes in his "18th and 19th Century Europe" ("Swords and Hilt Weapons" , ed. M.Coe, 1989, p.92), that "...in France, in the Directoire and Consulate periods, French officers were presented with simple brass stirrup hilted swords, inscribed on the scabbard with details of the campaign in which they were won. A number of scabbards are inscribed 'Armee d' Italie' for example, commemorating Napoleons campaign against the Austrians in 1796. Boutets Versailles factory made silver hilted sabres for presentation".

This presents the texture of Napoleonic presentation sabres, and the kinds of weapons which were clearly given to officers in varying circumstances. Is it possible that this sabre may have been self commissioned by a patriotic officer in Napoleons service?

The deeply curved blade as noted was to augment slashing power in the drawcut, delivered from a fast moving mount...in noticing the unusual rounded blade tip, I would point out that these type blades are seen also on broadswords to increase cutting potential in slashing cuts. Would these together reinforce a cavalrymans sabre?

All best regards,
Jim
Old 9th August 2011, 05:55 AM   #18
Hotspur

A note briefly Jim and you may even mention this in the latest but I don't see it.

The initial contract for the U.S. official mamelukes were produced in England.

Despite my now reading more French than British influence in your last post, the majority of bladed arms coming into the U.S. after the revolution continued to be from England with Solingen the second largest supplier to American retailers and cutlers..

We could go to the twelfth inning again regarding beaded hilts but I see it a bit of a red herring in this discussion and proves nothing except even more artillery and infantry swords being produced in England. Can you show me more than one (I can think of only one example I have seen) continental maker of beaded (balls of any kind and number) hilt Eagle pommel swords for the American market?

The post federal period and French influence is a bit of a non sequitur in this thread from my perspective. I honestly see no French influence in the early American makers (of quantity) such as Rose, Starr, etc. The hussar hilts really don't look much like the French of that timeline, do they? The dove head reverse p hilts that follow that? I think not. That some sword design was symbiotic and almost universal, I really don't see the argument. Taking a real census of officers swords would (I believe) still only show the supply and demand truths of where the majority of the officer swords were being produced (England and Prussia).

Singular examples of French style and influence in some popularity by a few does not an American trend make (in my opinion). The first real turn I see in nco type swords are the short straight infantry hangers by Rose and Starr which honestly could be as German as French influenced. I see no French briquet or glaives coming to vouge until lots of extra brass was around .

Some odds and ends to toss on the ashes. Here is a French form around a lot of the 18th century (pre revolution), along with another pair with mixed feelings Quite British that pair but the spadroon blade looks almost Prussian.

Anyway, I see the major influences of domination in sword manufacture for the U.S late in the game when looking at the French styled sword in this thread. That some were individual pieces were adopted is recognized as well as some presentation swords but if we look at the demand and supply, the French goods and influence of the American federal period is lacking. Even beyond that, consider the boat shell hilt of the U.S. infantry officer sword of the 1830s not having a roman helmet but a variety of large eggs instead. All the roman helmeted swords post dating the federal period are a given and I agree that by that time, French stylings are dominating but not so during the Napoleonic/Federal period.

So anyway, when I subtract influx to America from French influences through the federal period, I come up with a remainder of the L'épée des troupes de Terre decades later with perhaps a nod in the Rose nco and one lone five ball producer from Alsace (Berger following closely the Ketland eagle and hilt). Oh, ok one more and this also from Berger, a very English looking sabre for the U.S. market

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Old 9th August 2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Glen,
It is always a learning experience in these discussions with you, and you are certainly inspiring me to try to do my 'homework' here It really is great to touch base on these American swords once again after a very long hiatus, but quite honestly I think I'm learning more in the last couple of days than I ever accomplished back then.

I did not know of the detail on the first mameluke sabres being a British contract (was this the 1825 regulation?) but not surprising as I know some of the famed 'eaglehead swords' were produced there, with American made versions known as Baltimore and Philadelphia 'schools'.

I think it is important to note here that I am not suggesting that the French were prevalent in the supply of swords to America against the well known products of England and Solingen you note. I am however noting what I consider significant influence of French swords and styles in American military swords . Returning to Peterson (p.59), he notes while some of the swords for officers were made by makers such as Starr and Rose, the great majority of blades and large numbers of entire swords were made by Solingen makers as well as some from "...France, Great Britain and Belgium". These were apparantly largely mounted or furbished as required and by c.1830 the major outfitters of Horstmann of Philadephia and Schuyler, Hartley & Graham of New York were prominantly known. Some of the eaglehead swords of c.1830s by Widmann of Philadephia (Peterson, p.115) have marks of the German swordsmith on the blade, along with 'warranted' (interestly a word often used on British blades decades before). It is noted that some of these Widmann type swords also are seen with Horstmann stamps on blades.

Peterson #98 (p.107), a mounted artillery officers sabre c.1815-30 is described as a "distinctly French sabre", and that these sabers were made in France in accordance with the latest modes there. The one shown has American devices and motif on the blade, apparantly contrary to the larger number of these typically known.
With #93 (p.102,Peterson) this is an eaglehead with a bust of Washington in cartouche, and described as made in France c.1800 (Washington died 1799) or shortly after.

#63, (pp.69-70) describing a field officers sword of c.1800-10, Peterson notes "...during the first decade of the 19th century many of the higher ranking American officers purchased swords typified by the saber illustrated herewith. These saers were made in France in what the Continental taste of the period considered the very best tradition. These swords were made especially for the American market and usually possessed an eaglehead pommel and decorations utilizing American motif".

Again, these references from Peterson are simply the basis of my opinion which considers that French swords were significant in the influence of American sword styles from the end of the Revolution, through the Federal Period and as noted, through the 19th century. The influences of both German and English swords cannot be discounted obviously, nor can thier participation in actual production of blades and entire weapons, so it seems counterproductive to try to assess which offered more influence or actual production. The styles favored by makers such as Rose and Starr are agreed, not particularly relevant as they primarily were producing contract swords for enlisted ranks in number, and thier 'style' may be considered loosely 'European' but loosely similar to various forms of the period and slightly earlier. It seems most of the focus here is on officers swords, which as previously noted here were of different status, and more inclined to fashionable styles for which France was much admired and very much along with its closeness in its alliance with America in the war.

The pair of vertically fluted ebony swords you show here are outstanding! and actually remind me of a brass hilt example of one of these I have (Mark Eley has one as well). In these they are brass 'birds head' pommel with the fluted ebony grip and curved 'montmorency' type blade with centerpoint fuller (mine by Wooley & Deakin, his may be as well). Something I noticed some time ago with Wooley M1788 light cavalry sabers as opposed to Thomas Gill's..the hilt features on Wooley's seem to favor French influence (rounded pommel cap, elliptical langets, montmorency blade) while Gill's seem to favor German...elongated rectangular langets, flattened pommel cap, hollow ground blade. It is truly interesting to see this type of ebony grip sword with the curved blade and spadroon blade together.

While I'm not sure this discussion has put us any closer to identifying David's sabre, I think it is good to have set out some criteria as far as whether it is Napoleonic French, or whether the initial assumption of American might have had merit. I hope we can continue to seek a comparable example with more definitive likenesses, but the example David posted remains to me compelling.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 9th August 2011, 11:07 AM   #20
Hotspur

Hi Jim

#98 second sentence "Many are known, because of their histories, to have been used in this country" Not quantified further, group b had 30% fewer cavities than group a You'll like the one attached below.

#93 Again a quantitative and subjective relationship in influence. Much more so when in the 1840s and beyond, Horstmann and others flood the market with Solingen made long neck French style eagles (note the dateline again). Of many hundreds of eagles shown in the elder Mowbray's bible and in the Medicus collection indexing, the French made eagles genuinely pale not just in production numbers but also lacking the diversity of the swarm of English made eagles. Again, look to early influences and desire, the eagles main eyrie (sp) of eggs was English, balls or not.

#63 Jim, it is easy to cherry pick such a statement by Peterson and disregard the rest of that chapter. Forty years after that book was published it again becomes a quantitative falsehood. Did many favor French eagles? I don't see it from the numbers end.

There are certainly a good many other swords that could be mentioned in several books, for instance the Lattimer collection and other examples from Peterson that are French but it doesn't carry the weight of conviction to me (nor does the elder Mowbray's eagle pommel book) They are all a starting point for me rather than books of absolutes.

You'll like this one from S&K

Oh, yes, while you have #93 in mind, note that he misidentifies #91 as wholly American made, while returning in Mowbray's 1990s eagles as now known to have been from Thurkle

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Old 9th August 2011, 06:43 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Glen, I can only offer my compliments, you really know your stuff, and it is truly a pleasure to discuss these issues with you.As I mentioned, a true learning experience, and reminding me that despite so many years studying these things, I know I remain much more student than any kind of 'expert'

Actually as I mentioned, my familiarity with most of these references are from decades ago in my 'collecting' days. In looking back at some of the cites I used, I must concede that I am quite guilty of some cherry picking as you have astutely noted, but such was more inadvertant as I was trying to minimize some of the text for volume. The reference to 'histories' did not seem relevant, but as you point out perhaps in retrospect was. My selective choice of references was from quite a few hours of revisiting the few books I have with me. Ironically, although I have the revised Peterson from 1965, I acquired it only a few years later. These books; Neumann, Blair and later Robson (1975) I have had all these years are are still my treasures, and it is great to revisit them (glad I brought them!). As you note there have been considerable revisions and newly presented material in these past decades, so it is good to have that made known here.
Also, I neglected to thank you for sharing the article in Man at Arms on Rose!
I have subscribed to Man at Arms since the first issue in 1979, but all of these are with most of the rest of my books in deep storage for years.

Interesting note on the sabers identified as American made, but now known to be by Thurkle. This seems inevitable with all the cross traffic in trade and as I had noted, many swords came in from Germany and were mounted in America, so provenance may easily have dictated American made, as many German blades were veiled by thier furbishing in America. The interpolation of products is evident by German blades with the 'Warranted' term seen on British swords; Germany was also producing blades for France in given periods.
Actually I was not even aware that the French made eaglehead hilts, and though I knew Andrew Mowbray, I regret I never had his book on these swords, a monumental oversight on my part. He was a great scholar and very giving individual who inspired me a great deal, so even more regretted realizing this.

I am extremely grateful to have this discussion with you on this aspect on the influences in early American swords, and the considerable and important key points you have provided showing much better perspective on these than I previously had. While I think we have pretty well covered much of the detail here, it seems we both remain in degree apart in our views on the French influences, though I admit I lean more toward many of your points.
I would very much enjoy continuing this on a separate thread, but think we should return to the original sword identification featured in this thread.

David, thank you so much for your courtesy and patience in this digression.

Glen, I very much thank you again for your courtesy and outstanding detail in presenting some extremely important history and material in better understanding of these military swords. I know personally I have learned from your most admirable knowledge, and look forward to continued discussions on this and any topics you are in.

All very best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 9th August 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 07:04 PM   #22
katana

Quote:
Here is a picture provided by a very helpful formite on SFI. It is described as a light cavalry sword....likely, mine is the Infantry Officer's variant. The blade inscibed "Vive Napoleon" .....long live Napoleon ...so obviously French. The hilt not a perfect match, but, too close to ignore. It has also been suggested that the more parabolic curved blade (marmaluke style blade) on my example, is quite rare.
Kind Regards David

Hi Jim and Glen,
interesting discourse ...I have learnt some lessons thank you.

The picture I thought was a light cavalry sword is in fact an Infantry Officers sword....the blade also shows similarity to my own.

I assume that the finial on the pommel is a tang nut...can anyone confirm this for me, thank you

Kind Regards David
Old 9th August 2011, 08:05 PM   #23
Hotspur

Hi David,

The finial/knob/capstan routine is most often not a nut. We see these on a great many types of swords. However, one reason they were used in cutlery is to add a little relief of other parts. Attached is a prime example why there is a peen block added to a lot of assemblies. Some of them a bit over the edgewith the extreme nature of such a simple fixture.

Cheers

GC

Ps

Jim, we are all lifetime scholars of the swords and while I regard a great many periods as relevant, seem to have settled with study specifically looking at the federal period in the U.S. use, manufacture and import. The internet has opened a great deal and I will always admire the depth of research by yourself and others before the advents we see now. Narrowing further to just eagles, I currently have over 5,000 files of hundreds of variations just of those hilts. I am in no way an expert in any aspect of them but am raking up leaves in the shadows of such as Medicus, Lattimer and their own specialists such as Peterson, Neumann, Mowbray, et al. One book builds on another with more appearing all the time. I am more just an inventory accountant looking in the different bins for matches.
Attached Images

Old 10th August 2011, 07:06 PM   #24
katana

Hi Glen,
thanks for the reply ...here is a better picture of the pommel. To me it looks like a nut but the tang could have been peened over the finial (after passing through it) and due to the fact they are both steel could, with the effect of age/rust etc become almost invisible ?

Another picture provided by Marc on SFI ....unfortunately no details other than the sword was sold via "Le Hussard"

Best Regards David
Attached Images

Old 13th August 2011, 09:10 PM   #25
katana

Trying to find the significance of the 5 balled knuckleguard .....I found on Wiki ( ) that this design feature ...." popularity lasted from 1790 to until about 1820 when it was no longer produced " If true it helps date this sword.
I also read that this ball feature is more common on Infantry swords.........stylised musket balls ??

Kind Regards David
Old 13th August 2011, 10:07 PM   #26
Hotspur

Quote:
Trying to find the significance of the 5 balled knuckleguard .....I found on Wiki ( ) that this design feature ...." popularity lasted from 1790 to until about 1820 when it was no longer produced " If true it helps date this sword.
I also read that this ball feature is more common on Infantry swords.........stylised musket balls ??

Kind Regards David
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10330

I prefer beaded as a terminology and more apt for a lot of hilts. It might make more sense to continue that old thread than add it to this one but here are some more cause to pause. They are not just found on infantry swords but the spadroons probably most recognized. Artillery, naval examples as well. I have pretty much summed up my thoughts there but would point out that Wiki articles are really no more than a start and much more information can be found in dealer listings as well as books.

Musket balls you say A hilt that has just two and one with more of the stylings. The other French sabre I posted is also beaded, imo.

Someone that could produce the first use of the term five ball might warrant a
meritorious certificate of rightness

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Old 13th August 2011, 11:15 PM   #27
katana

Thanks Glen,
my knowledge in these types of sword is, shall we say, limited I suppose musket/cannon ball symbolism is possibly unlikely ..but possible....I cannot find any reference to a definitive explaination for the 'beaded' design ....or why there tend to be 5 (3 & 7 much less so, but interestingly all 'odd' numbers, whether or not that is significant ... I do not know )

Kind Regards David
Old 13th August 2011, 11:19 PM   #28
Hotspur

How odd ?8^)~ There are just two in the one I posted above.

Old 15th August 2011, 06:11 PM   #29
katana

Hi Glen,
Sorry for the late reply.
My main area of collecting is ethnographic ....where decorative elements are often symbolic or talismatic. These decorative features often aid dating, origins etc and subtle differences can equate to a difference of many years or origins a thousand mile apart.

The hilt with the 'disc' shaped sections of the knucklebow and the other with the elongated 'bead' with a ball at either end, which you mentioned are not even subtly different to the usual 5 'balled' or 'beaded' decoration that I am refering to.....so agreed 'odd'.

My question was about the decorative (or symbolic) grouped 'beaded' design, usually 5 in a row .....either with beads of equal size or those which graduate in size ie smaller at the ends, increasing in size to the middle. This design seems to have travelled to a number of countries....some of which were enemies. To my mind this suggests some symbolic, talismatic or religious meaning.

Kind Regards David
Old 15th August 2011, 06:40 PM   #30
katana

Continuing the possibillity of a religious meaning to the 5 beaded design....

The basic 'unit' of the Rosary is 5 .....simplistic ...but beads and 5

I am sure there are many possible interpretations , assuming there is one at all. If originally symbolic perhaps the meaning later 'forgotten' and later designs 'just based' on the earlier one