Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th December 2011, 09:23 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A VERY Strange Sword: What is it and where is it from??!!

This is certainly one of the most unusal pieces I have ever encountered. The sword is 35in. overall, with a 24in. blade that is thick and heavy, pattern welded and hooks downward at the end. It is single edged and very sharp. The hilt is horn carved with a small "checkered" pattern with brass, star-shaped, rivet caps. The bolsters are brass and intricately chieselled. The hilt's pommel is just slightly "earred".

There seem to be Ottoman and S. Indian influences...I am not sure. There are hints of a ram dao, and a S. Indian sword, as well as an Ottoman yataghan all wrapped into one! It seems a total anomaly.

Any comments and info on this are appreciated.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Stan S.

I am almost positive this is a Nepalese ram dao but I am thrown off by what looks like Islamic decoration (crescent moons and sex-pointed starts). A very impressive looking sword by the way. What are the dimensions?
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Dmitry

This is totally not my forte, but the length of the grip, along with the unusual blade termination and the heft point towards an executioner's tool. The bolster between the hilt and the blade is Ottoman in style, yatagan-like.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 02:12 AM   #4
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
sex-pointed starts
Freudian slip? :-) :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 03:35 AM   #5
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Freudian slip? :-) :-)
Yes, LOL
Old 28th December 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
CharlesS

I am getting the impression that most are as perplexed by this one as I am!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
I am getting the impression that most are as perplexed by this one as I am!
Its a Ram Dao or something very similar - it has to be! Perhaps a sacrificial sword from elsewhere in India? This still does not explain islamic features but that would be the best guess Also, I have in my collection a sword showing identical damascus pattern on the blade, which is undoubtely of Indian manufacture, and while the blade is of a distinctly different shape (spatulate), it may not be too far fetched if they both originate from the same locale.
Old 28th December 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
A.alnakkas

Hello,

The hilt is defintely turkish in style. It could be a state gift ram dao that got rehilted in a turkish style?:P just guessing hehe
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 10:20 PM   #9
RSWORD

When thinking about Ottoman influences in Indian arms one might look at the Coorgi(sp?) as a possibility. The Ottomans had extensive involvement there from the 16th century onward. Matter of fact, years ago I had a very nice Ayda Katti that had a rather Turkish crescent moon on the handle. Matter of fact, when you look at the Ayda Katti it also has a somewhat downturned blade like this example. I believe many of the Ayda Katti also have checkered grips. Maybe this is a Coorg sword?
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Berkley

I think it possible that the symbols are variants of the classic Nepalese surya and chandra (sun and moon) symbols.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 12:42 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
When thinking about Ottoman influences in Indian arms one might look at the Coorgi(sp?) as a possibility. The Ottomans had extensive involvement there from the 16th century onward. Matter of fact, years ago I had a very nice Ayda Katti that had a rather Turkish crescent moon on the handle. Matter of fact, when you look at the Ayda Katti it also has a somewhat downturned blade like this example. I believe many of the Ayda Katti also have checkered grips. Maybe this is a Coorg sword?
Good call Rick.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD

Salaams RSWORD ~ I am well out of my comfort zone on this item however it does look South Indian/ Malibari and I understand the Coorg is the national weapon there but... its a quite different shape. Coorgs are like inverted kukri? sickle blades, quite squat~ to my understanding. The grip is clearly a two hander. This looks like a very formidable first strike sort of weapon and my first thoughts were executioners ! Is it not Malaysian or Indonesian? The star and moon is Islamic but which area?... It looks orientalish... Nice to see ..
Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote