Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2023, 02:22 PM   #1
Klop

Default Kindjal, etching / origin assistance

Dear members, just received this kindjal blade which has a worn etching near the base. Maybe someone is able to recognize the entire stamp (which is probably not unique) or the top word in the cartouche? Seems like "Znat...." Some stamps and number 35 are clearly visible. Any info on origin or age is highly appreciated!

total length is 46 cm

Kind regards,
Eric.
Attached Images

Klop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2023, 03:18 PM   #2
Gustav

The mark on kindjal is of Zlatoust arms factory, but not the commonly seen one, in addition the tip with position of the grooves looks strange, as if the blade were shortened. Of course there are forgeries of Zlatoust weapons made - I am not able to say if this is the real thing or not.

Is there a mark on the other side of blade?

You can search for Zlatoust on forum.

https://pegasus-leaders.com/zlatoust-blade/

Last edited by Gustav; 2nd August 2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spellings
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2023, 07:37 PM   #3
Gustav

After some time I would say your example likely is the real thing.
The date could be 1880ties or 1890ties
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:29 AM   #4
Ren Ren

This is a Cossack dagger produced by the Zlatoust Arms Factory (ЗЛАТОУСТЪ/Златоуст. Оружейная Фабрика). The blade is shortened, the shape is changed. I agree with Gustav on dating 1880-1890.
Daggers similar in shape were made at the beginning of the 20th century by order of the Cossack troops. On one side they have the abbreviation ЗОФ, on the other ККВ or ТКВ. It would be helpful to identify if you could show a photo of the back of your dagger.

Last edited by Ren Ren; 3rd August 2023 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2023, 07:19 PM   #5
Klop

dear gents, thanks so much for the info. The combined knowledge here is great! I already suspected the tip was changed as the grooves are "running straight off" the blade instead of following the shape to the point. On the backside there is no etching or stamps at all. If there ever was etching I'd expect to see at least some remnants like on the front. There was a makeshift wooden handle all around the tang, i was pleased to discover a complete original tangshape underneath. Kind regards, Eric
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2023, 03:24 AM   #6
Ren Ren

Cossacks for a long time preferred to order daggers from local craftsmen in the Caucasus. The state-owned arms factory in Zlatoust was far from the Caucasus and its managers had to make a lot of efforts to intercept orders)
Your dagger is one of the early examples similar to Caucasian blades. It has had a long hard life, but it is still an interesting and quite rare item.
Old 4th August 2023, 04:39 PM   #7
Klop

Thanks Ren Ren,

I intend to recreate a handle with black buffalo horn and plain iron studs. It doesn't feel like a fancy piece that would have had marine ivory and precious metals. Besides that, it's way too difficult to source a walrus these days :-)

Most logical reason for the reshaping I think is that the tip was bent by (ab)use and at bending back it broke. Earlier in it's lifetime.

I know Japanese swords were shortened at the tang but I don't see why anyone would shorten a kindjal point this way without a very good reason.

kind regards,
Eric
Old 5th August 2023, 06:56 PM   #8
Copycat

Hello Erik,

Those letters in circles could be the Zlatoust proof markings P and S. See below link.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...atoust+kindjal

There are good examples of Zlatoust kindjals everywhere. Good luck with your hilt reconstruction.

Kind regards,
Copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2023, 12:23 AM   #9
Ren Ren

Black buffalo horn is an excellent material for making this type of dagger handle. One of the conditions for ordering blades in Zlatoust was a price affordable to all Cossacks without exception (Cossacks paid for weapons and military equipment at their own expense). Most of these blades received a modest finish - buffalo horn or apricot wood was used for the handles. Wealthy Cossacks, who could order ivory or walrus tusk, purchased daggers from famous craftsmen in the Caucasus - in Vladikavkaz or Tiflis.

Your dagger could have been damaged for a myriad of reasons, I don't even want to guess some of them. I will only note that in the Soviet Union from about 1955 until 1991 it was strictly forbidden for private individuals to own such items under the threat of 3 years in prison.

Sincerely,
Serge
Old 6th August 2023, 08:47 PM   #10
Klop

Dear gents, thanks (again) for your info and support, greatly appreciated!
It's gonna take some time but once finished I'll post the pictures with restored grip.

Kind regards,
Eric
Old 7th August 2023, 09:14 PM   #11
Ren Ren

Good luck Eric!
I would be happy to see the results of the reconstruction.

Sincerely,
Serge
Old 26th August 2023, 03:40 PM   #12
Klop

Well, as promised there it is. From the raw waterbuffalo horn to end product. The shaping done with saw and mainly a finetoothed rasp. Based on several examples and having some scrap alpaca (Berlin silver) sheet I changed my mind from Iron studs to this setup. After making the domes I soldered the heads of m4 bolts into them with generous amounts of lead to create the rivets. No glue or resin in the process, just some hammering. Chose the placing so that the stamps are visble, I must say I'm very pleased with the result. Maybe in the distant future a scabbard....
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2023, 03:50 PM   #13
Klop

zugabe: it would of course be possible to remove every last toolmark and polish to a mirrorgloss but In my mind that wouldn't suit the blade, age and original production level.
Old 26th August 2023, 04:35 PM   #14
francantolin

Really good job !

Congratulations !
This kindjal looks really great like that !!!
francantolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2023, 06:35 PM   #15
Copycat

Faster then expected!

Nice craftsmenship. It looks really good.
Copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2023, 01:13 AM   #16
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Very nice work Klop. Your kindjal looks terrific.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2023, 08:26 PM   #17
Klop

thanks gents most examples I saw online have a band around the bottom of the handle but that introduces some problems: decoration in cern and matching scabbard metalwork... So just a dome on a circular plate better matches my abilities and provides a stepping stone towards a more forgiving scabbard mouth.

Kind regards,
Eric.
Attached Images

Last edited by Klop; 27th August 2023 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo