Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2021, 01:25 PM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Balinese keris ritual

Anyone has any idea when after you have made your Balinese keris, it will underwent a ritual. Exactly what is the ritual about?
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 12:09 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

When a ritual is used with a newly made keris it is in most cases the Pasupati ritual that sanctifies the keris. I've said "most cases" because this is the ritual that seems to be most common, but I believe some individual people might use personal rituals.

Then there are the recurring rituals take place on Tumpek Landep.

I do not believe that this forum is the correct place to go into detailed descriptions & explanations in respect of these rituals, but there is plenty of information about them in the public arena.

Weiner might be a good place to start, and there is probably a heap of info online as well.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 02:50 AM   #3
Anthony G.

Thanks Alan. I will try again to search for it on the net with English description.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 04:00 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Anthony, Pasupati is just a blessing ritual, it is not just for keris, it can be for other things too, I saw it once for a weaving beam.

Tumpek Landep is due to take place in a couple of weeks time I think. It was originally a cleansing and blessing ceremony for metal weapons, but these days it has changed a bit and become more a ritual to ask for freedom from misfortune, and to bless everything made from metal, even motor vehicles.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote