Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2006, 09:21 PM   #1
lelang69

Default Mandau bone hilt

dear list,

here I have the Bone hilt of Mandau dayak for sale. the dimension is 10.5 cms/long

if you are interesting please contact me,lelang69@yahoo.com,
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Andrew

Lelang, can you provide any additional information about this piece? How have you determined it is bone?
Old 9th June 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Mark

Lightbulb

I recently learned from a U.S. Fish & Wildlife inspector a trick for distinguishing bone from, for example, ivory or plastic. Under an ultra-violet light, bone will glow white, while plastic will not glow at all and just looks dark, and ivory will glow VERY bright white. It was a cool trick, and easier than the "burn and sniff test" or squinting at it through a magnifier to look for microstructure. The problem is getting a UV light.
Old 9th June 2006, 10:09 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
I recently learned from a U.S. Fish & Wildlife inspector a trick for distinguishing bone from, for example, ivory or plastic. Under an ultra-violet light, bone will glow white, while plastic will not glow at all and just looks dark, and ivory will glow VERY bright white. It was a cool trick, and easier than the "burn and sniff test" or squinting at it through a magnifier to look for microstructure. The problem is getting a UV light.
Would this help?

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5044.php
Old 9th June 2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Mark

Great! Everything I was finding was lab-grade equipment costing $100 or more. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2006, 03:18 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

ON A POOR CAST THERE ARE OFTEN BUBBLES THE MORE BUBBLES THE WORSE THE CASTING. THEY APPEAR AS LITTLE HOLES THAT ARE SPHERICAL ON THE INSIDE. A GOOD CAST WILL HAVE VERY FEW OR PERHAPS NONE AT ALL. THE ITALIANS DO A GOOD JOB ON THIER CASTING OF STATUES AND FIGURINES AND SOME OF THE FAKE IVORY IS ALSO WELL DONE. BUBBLES GET TRAPED BETWEEN THE MOLD AND THE CASTING MATERIAL WHEN IT IS POURED INTO THE MOLD. IF THERE ARE BUBBLES IN THE CASTING MATERIAL IT CAN ALSO CAUSE PROBLEMS. THERE IS A ANTI BUBBLE SOLUTION TO COAT THE INSIDE OF MOLDS AND THE APLICATION OF VIBRATION OFTEN HELPS TO GET THE BUBBLES OUT.
Old 10th June 2006, 06:20 AM   #7
lelang69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Lelang, can you provide any additional information about this piece? How have you determined it is bone?

dear Andrew, Mark, Mross, and vandoo,

Thanks for the fiewing the hilt.

I am not the expert or scientist who can detect it is bone or not.

The dayak himself, MR Bangking. the iban dayak give me this hilt from the heard of borneo. was he a lier? i don't know. can he make a plastic, casting etc. I am sure he didn't. he just an farmer and hunter for a living.

It's just i explain it to you.

If you want to know the price please sent me an e-mail at, lelang69@yahoo.com,

thanks very much

regards,

Tonny

Indonesia
Old 10th June 2006, 05:11 PM   #8
Valjhun

Dear Lelang,

The question is not where have you found it but rather if the community believes you.

To me it looks more like genuine "alien" or maybe "predator" bone
Old 10th June 2006, 08:30 PM   #9
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelang69
dear Andrew, Mark, Mross, and vandoo,

Thanks for the fiewing the hilt.

I am not the expert or scientist who can detect it is bone or not.

The dayak himself, MR Bangking. the iban dayak give me this hilt from the heard of borneo. was he a lier? i don't know. can he make a plastic, casting etc. I am sure he didn't. he just an farmer and hunter for a living.

It's just i explain it to you.

If you want to know the price please sent me an e-mail at, lelang69@yahoo.com,

thanks very much

regards,

Tonny

Indonesia
Tonny
I do not think anyone was questioning your honesty or that of the person you got it from. Instead I believe this was an academic interest from those of us trying to learn how to make such evaluations. Its often hard to tell what a hilt is made of and would be even harder to tell what type of bone or ivory it is. So we plug along and pick up tricks to tell such things when we can to make us more informed collectors. Sometimes like this case the data comes from providence and that is good too but it will not help us with the next sword hilt we are looking at as much as say the black light info would.
John
Old 11th June 2006, 12:23 AM   #10
VANDOO
(deceased)

I CAN'T JUDGE FROM A PICTURE WHAT A ITEM IS MADE OF, MANDAU HANDLES ARE USUALLY WOOD OR DEER ANTLER, THERE IS ONE CURRENTLY POSTED OF HUMAN BONE WHICH IS VERY RARE. I HAVEN'T SEEN A CAST MANDAU HANDLE YET BUT HAVE SEEN SEVERAL TYPES OF WEAPONS COMING OUT OF INDONESIA THAT HAVE CAST HANDLES AND SOMETIMES SCABBARDS AS WELL.

I AM NOT JUDGEING YOUR ITEM ,YOUR SOURCE OR SAYING IT IS CAST OR NOT AS I CAN'T TELL FROM THE PHOTOS. I AM JUST SUPPLYING SOME OF THE THINGS TO LOOK FOR IF IT IS CAST SO YOU CAN BETTER JUDGE WHAT YOU HAVE. IT DOES LOOK DIFFERENT THAN MOST MANDAU HANDLES, A LOT ROUGHER. GOOD LUCK
Old 11th June 2006, 08:17 AM   #11
lelang69

thanks very much. for the opinion.

It\s very usefull for me. the mandau hilt was sold.

thanks for viewing
Old 29th December 2006, 12:29 PM   #12
asomotif

Thumbs down

This poor casted crap was sold ?!
I am sorry for the buyer
Old 2nd January 2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Dajak

Willem niet zo onaardig doen

Ben
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Henk

Gentlemen,

The language we use on this forum is english. So everybody can read what is written.
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:30 PM   #15
ronpakis

Default translation

it means that you should be nice instead of this way. but i must say that he does make a point here. perhaps it was really very very cheap and the buyer needed a piece of plastic (or something like it) this is the reason why this forum is a rather nice way of informing yourself. this is meant for seller and buyer.

greetings,

ronpakis
Old 3rd January 2007, 05:26 AM   #16
Andrew

Let's move on, gentlemen. Thank you.
Closed Thread