Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2017, 05:25 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Yemeni Curved Sword

this item 's auction completed this morning, sadly i did not win it tho i tried.

it was (nistakenly) listed as a Dha with white metal mounts. i hope the winner was not expecting it to be one

thought it deserved posting here as there seem to be very few pics of curved ones. there was unfortuneatly no pictures of it out of the scabbard.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Would this be a Yemeni psuedoshaska??!!!

Seriously, interesting Omani kattara. Dha?????duh!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 06:57 PM   #3
kronckew

i find some nice bargains online when they get it wrong. just didn't have enough dosh left today after winning the swordstick i posted here as well. ah, well, ce la vie!
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 07:28 PM   #4
colin henshaw

I've seen the blade ... it looked very new.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Take glance at Omani national emblem
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 07:30 PM   #6
kahnjar1

I have this similar one in my collection......Omani Kattara/Saif.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Stu, nice one!
What was that mark? I forget now what we came up with on this blade, was it Caucasian"
Old 28th January 2017, 10:33 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Stu, nice one!
What was that mark? I forget now what we came up with on this blade, was it Caucasian"
Sorry Jim, I don't remember either. I'm sure that someone will come up with the answer! Old age dulls the brain
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Sorry Jim, I don't remember either. I'm sure that someone will come up with the answer! Old age dulls the brain
LOL! They say the memory is the 2nd thing to go.....
cant remember what the first was!
Old 28th January 2017, 11:27 PM   #10
Kubur

Quote:
Stu, nice one!
It's so strange this keyhole stamp is normaly seen on Persian qaddara short swords/ caucasian blades... But the three groves are too far fro the top edge to be a shashka... and stop before the end like an Afghan pulwar... It looks for me ilke a combinaison of things... Fake or crosscultural...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 02:51 AM   #11
ariel

At the end of the 19 century Daghestanis exported their (mostly) Shashka blades to Aravia. I think it was even mentioned in the Elgood's book. The stamp on your kattara does look Caucasian.

I have 2 kattaras: a straight and a curved .
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 10:59 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
At the end of the 19 century Daghestanis exported their (mostly) Shashka blades to Aravia. I think it was even mentioned in the Elgood's book. The stamp on your kattara does look Caucasian.

I have 2 kattaras: a straight and a curved .

What we have here are Omani Swords. Not Dha... Not Yemeni...but Omani. Ariel, it is impossible to have two swords both called the same from Oman where one is curved and the other is straight.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ariel, good note on that mark. It does seem like that was a Caucasian mark. It always intrigued me on what it represented. I once thought perhaps it might be a monstrance or some sort of religious configuration. I need to find those notes, but Caucasian seems a good possibility.

On the kattaras, I think we found some time ago that there was apparently differentiation in the locally applied terms. The straight blade forms of these are simply sa'if, while these with curved blades are termed kattara.

It is much like the term pallasche reserved for straight bladed swords, while sabre or more descriptive variations refer to curved blade swords.
The name game is the bane of our understanding of terms for arms, and often commonly used terms are confounding when trying to establish logic or reason.

I think if anyone, at the risk of their sanity, took on the daunting task of cataloguing and trying to explain the spectrum of terms and words describing edged weapons in their various contexts, it would be astounding .
Naturally they would have to navigate through the maelstrom of transliterations, colloquial slang and nicknames and most confounding of all, the web of 'collectors terms'.
Old 29th January 2017, 10:07 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Ariel, good note on that mark. It does seem like that was a Caucasian mark. It always intrigued me on what it represented. I once thought perhaps it might be a monstrance or some sort of religious configuration. I need to find those notes, but Caucasian seems a good possibility.

On the kattaras, I think we found some time ago that there was apparently differentiation in the locally applied terms. The straight blade forms of these are simply sa'if, while these with curved blades are termed kattara.

It is much like the term pallasche reserved for straight bladed swords, while sabre or more descriptive variations refer to curved blade swords.
The name game is the bane of our understanding of terms for arms, and often commonly used terms are confounding when trying to establish logic or reason.

I think if anyone, at the risk of their sanity, took on the daunting task of cataloguing and trying to explain the spectrum of terms and words describing edged weapons in their various contexts, it would be astounding .
Naturally they would have to navigate through the maelstrom of transliterations, colloquial slang and nicknames and most confounding of all, the web of 'collectors terms'.
Salaams Jim, That is very interesting... Could that mark be from the Caucasus? I have it down as a Ras al Khaimah produced weapon...Naturally so that a hilt of this form could be built around it ...the weapon must have had an elongated tang and pommel added. I wondered if the mark you call a keyhole mark is in fact a geometrical God is Great format?
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote