Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th October 2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Nonoy Tan

Default Luzon Spears

Here is a pair of interesting spears from Barlig, Eastern Bontoc (post WWII). One displays a male anthopomorphic figure and the other a female, complete with genitalia

[IMG]
Attached Images

Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Can you tell us more about them, they look like ceremonial or special spears?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Looks like they may have been made for sale to "those who travel for pleasure."
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Both appear to be a form of falfeg hunting spearheads.

Rick and Tim have good points.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Nonoy Tan

Default Tourist pieces?

"Male" spear, thickness of blade at the median = 7.98mm, height of the man = 112.0mm

"Female" spear, thickness of blade at the median = 7.39mm, height of the woman = 101.0mm

The anthropomorphic figures are metal and appear to have been made through casting (from moulds) or though tedious hammering/filing. Because I do not see visible signs of hammering/filing, I suspect casting, which has been practiced in Northern Luzon for ages (e.g. manufacture of brass pipes for smoking). The bended arms may have been made separately (i.e. using a separate mould) and then connected to the bodies. Either way, it appears that a lot of work was involved to create them. That effort would have been economically viable for the blacksmith if (a) the owner was wealthy enough to pay for it, or (b) the blacksmith can mass-produce the item for the tourist trade.

My research reveal that ... in the past, a wealthy male of Northern Luzon would typically have several types/designs of spears in his possession - some for hunting, defense or battle, ceremonial (i.e. warding off evil spirits), etc. Intricately made spears (or other bladed weapons such as axes) were also made to display social status.

Are these spears representative of the desciption above or are they tourist stuff? If somebody in the forum has acquired a similar item or has seen some, then that can provide clues. In my last two visits to the Luzon Cordillera this year, I have not found such items being sold in the souvenir shops or in stores selling fake antiques. That is why I find this pair of spears very interesting.

In Ifugao, this type of spear is called "Balabog", "Balbog" or "Palbog" - probably an old word for the "Falfeg". The "F", "B" and "P" are sometimes interchanged between groups of peoples in the Northern Luzon.

By the way, here is a photo of another spear with an anthropomorphic figure (siamese). This one shows signs of hammering. It is less intricate and less controversial.

[IMG]
Attached Images

Old 29th October 2007, 08:23 AM   #6
Nonoy Tan

The multiple barbed spear is also from Barlig, Eastern Bontoc (Northern Luzon, Philippines). It features a double anthropomorphic figure (like "siamese twins). It is not from from Siam
Old 29th October 2007, 09:34 AM   #7
Bill M

Here is a link to a post and discussion of an old spear head in my collection. I did find and purchase the book.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=kalinga
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

What I was refering to was the possibility of ceremonial which was mentioned above. You bring up some other good points on the hammering and work. My personal view is that these are more ceremonial in nature. Separate male and female goes in line with some Igorot mythologies of the creator spirits, one male and one female (I forget which group).
Old 30th October 2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Nonoy Tan

Thanks Battara. I too have read about the use of spears in certain rituals (from the books "The Bontoc Igorot" and "The Tingguian") but do not recall the mention of male and female anthropomorphic figures in the spears. Apparently, I must re-read the books and do more research. Coincidentally, the Bululs (or rice Gods) sometimes come in pairs (male and female) as well.

Bill, does the book mention the meaning or symbolism of the anthropomorphic figure on the spear?

Nonoy
Old 25th January 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
Here is a pair of interesting spears from Barlig, Eastern Bontoc (post WWII). One displays a male anthopomorphic figure and the other a female, complete with genitalia

[IMG]
Nonoy,

Do you know why this metal look so dark in colour? (also the hammered one with the spikes you posted looks very dark in colour).

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 11:33 PM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WOULD IMAGINE THEY ARE MADE BY FORGEING AND STOCK REMOVAL NOT CAST. LOOK FOR SEAMS OR WELDS TO SEE IF SEPARATE PIECES WERE ADDED OF IF ITS MADE FROM ONE PIECE OF METAL. MY BEST GUESS IS FOR CEREMONIAL USE PERHAPS FOR FERTILITY CEREMOINIES FOR CROPS OR MARRIAGE CEREMONIES.
NICE AND UNUSUAL NOT LIKELY A TOURIST ITEM I BASE THIS ON THE FACT I HAVEN'T SEEN A LOT OF THEM OVER THE YEARS. IF THERE WERE A LOT OF THEM AROUND I WOULD HAVE ONE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 02:31 AM   #12
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
Thanks Battara. I too have read about the use of spears in certain rituals (from the books "The Bontoc Igorot" and "The Tingguian") but do not recall the mention of male and female anthropomorphic figures in the spears. Apparently, I must re-read the books and do more research. Coincidentally, the Bululs (or rice Gods) sometimes come in pairs (male and female) as well.

Bill, does the book mention the meaning or symbolism of the anthropomorphic figure on the spear?

Nonoy
Nonoy,
The book is in Dutch. But I don't believe it mentions the meaning or symbolism.
Bill
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Nonoy,

Do you know why this metal look so dark in colour? (also the hammered one with the spikes you posted looks very dark in colour).

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Hello Maurice,

maybe the spear points are etched traditionally, one of my bontoc spears have the same dark colour. The other one I have has had the same colour but was also very rusty so I have sanded it carefully.

Best regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Maurice,

maybe the spear points are etched traditionally, one of my bontoc spears have the same dark colour. The other one I have has had the same colour but was also very rusty so I have sanded it carefully.

Best regards,

Detlef
Hello Detlef,

On images of igoroth spears out of old collections, or museumpieces, the spearheads all have the usual "average" colour.
I was thinking they might start making them dark about a certain period.
Maybe it is possible to tell more about the age of these spears according to the (latter?) black colour..??

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Old 26th January 2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Hello Detlef,

On images of igoroth spears out of old collections, or museumpieces, the spearheads all have the usual "average" colour.
I was thinking they might start making them dark about a certain period.
Maybe it is possible to tell more about the age of these spears according to the (latter?) black colour..??

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Maybe Nonoy know something about this?
My both spears are definitely old, they have a good old patination but of course I don't know how old, I don't have a provenance.

Kind regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 01:07 AM   #16
Nonoy Tan

The black colouration on the pair of spears (with male and female anthropomorphic figures) could be the result of staining. On the other hand, the dark colouration on the spear with multiple barbs could be the result of old rust and application of used motor oil (which is a common practice among the locals) in the past.

Maurice, your idea of making the metal darker as a result of the forging process (or type of raw material) is a real possibility in my opinion. My guess is that this would likely occur post WWII.

Bill, thank you for the feedback.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:00 AM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

These types of spears throw me because I have never seen them in the old turn of the century accounts. I think that the post-WWII attribution may be right, Nonoy Tan.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:54 AM   #18
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello, This finish is known as forge black. I learned about it originally from a blacksmith quite a few years ago.
After a quick on-line search I found this modern "How To". I hope that this might be of some help in possibly determining why these have their black appearance.

How To Achieve Forge Black Iron Rustproofing and Metal Finish

This metal finish is known among aficionados of forged iron metal work as FORGE BLACK,
and it derives from a technique dating back over a thousand years. This method is an
attractive finish and a very early method for the rust proofing of iron.

The metal is first meticulously cleaned with 00 emery cloth or steel wool,
then washed with denatured alcohol, shellac grade. This is to remove all grease and dirt.
Do this with clean cloth or paper gloves on so that further grease from handling is not deposited.

As soon as this is dry, coat with linseed oil by wiping, brushing or spraying.
Immediately heat over the forge with air flow applied. This adds free carbon to the burning oil
and an enamel like finish will eventually result, once the oil is all burned off.
Do not heat above black. When the piece stops smoking, remove, cool, and wipe with a cloth to
remove free soot. This leaves a good black finish and has been used for ages as an initial treatment
for iron, with defeat of rust as its main ideal.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 01:00 AM   #19
Battara
EAAF Staff

Robert thanks - that makes a lot of sense. I can do this with my torch in a simpler way (and sometimes happens anyway) when working with iron or steel.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:18 PM   #20
Nonoy Tan

Robert, thank you for sharing this information.
Old 30th January 2011, 08:13 AM   #21
migueldiaz

nonoy, juynboll's 1920s catalogue has such a spear. in the description the only word i can recognize is "ifugao". maybe our dear dutch friends can help us out with the translation
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 09:11 AM   #22
Maurice

Default translation Juynboll

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
nonoy, juynboll's 1920s catalogue has such a spear. in the description the only word i can recognize is "ifugao". maybe our dear dutch friends can help us out with the translation
OK, not that spectacular, but here it is:
1878/21. The lancehead in the shape of the head of a fish, with bilateral barbs, the round shaft modifying in a standing human figure.
Wooden shaft from grey wood, the top thickened pear-shaped, inlaid with yellow copper strips, which forms humanfigures and a chain of triangles.
Iron ferrule, with crenated upperside, the lowerside with pointy, iron fittings.
Ifugaos. N.

Length head: 30,5, Width: 4,5, Length wooden shaft: 163, Diameter: 1,5-2,5 cm.
See plate X, fig. 3.
Old 30th January 2011, 12:12 PM   #23
Nonoy Tan

I would dare to guess that the use of the Froge Black mentioned here by Robert would probably be more applicable to the Ifugao peoples in later years (e.g. post WW II) when the carrying of spears in daily life became less due to restrictions by law. Before that time (when the spears were omnipresent in daily life), the spear bearers/owners probably did not have to worry much about rust because they had the chance to clean the spears daily as a matter of routine. In later years, as the spears spent more time at home, unused and unattended, the application of the Forge Black became useful; and the spears would be used only during feasts or ceremonies, as they are nowadays. This is a general statement and does not mean that non-Forge Black spears are not being made these days, or that only Forge Black spears are made in later years. Still some job orders are received by blacksmiths in Ifugao for non-Forge Black spears, as thiese are preferrred by some. Indeed the variations in spear design and material (on spearheads, ferrules and shafts) among the Northern Luzon Cordillera peoples are so numerous, because these are dictated by personal preferences of the owners, imaginative talent of the blacksmiths, and economics.
Old 30th January 2011, 12:15 PM   #24
migueldiaz

maurice, thanks for the translation!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Nonoy Tan

Thank you migueldiaz and Maurice!

Here is another spear, which was also apparently made for ceremonial use. The blade is obviously attached to the anthromorphic figure (i.e. the blade and figure are not a single piece). The figure is made of brass while the blade is made of iron. Also, the brass figure is covered with stain and/or dried pig's blood (which happens after use in ceremonies). Probably a late 20th century Ifugao piece.
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2011, 01:10 PM   #26
Nonoy Tan

Yet another Ifugao spear.

Here the anthropomorphic figures are carved on the wooden shaft, also for ceremonial use.
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2011, 02:19 PM   #27
Nonoy Tan

Another spear with anthropomorphic figure...
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2011, 11:33 PM   #28
Battara
EAAF Staff

Great catch and translation folks! Salamat!

Nonoy Tan, love the carved shaft spear - now you make me want to get one.