Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th May 2015, 08:18 PM   #1
blue lander

Default Gunong with copper blade

I think this is the first Gunong/Punal de Kris I've seen with a copper blade. At first I thought it was steel but with a weird patina, but I checked it with a magnet. The tip's bent and blunted so I guess it did some stabbing in its time...
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 04:33 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Very interesting Bluelander, Could you post a little more information on it such as the measurements? This is only the second gunong that I have seen with a copper blade. The other was listed on ebay a couple of years ago and unfortunately I did not win the bid on it. Wish I had seen this one.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 07:59 AM   #3
Sajen

Hello Blue,
second the query from Robert. Very interesting gunong. It will look nice with a little bit maintenance. Please post pictures after this.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 02:49 PM   #4
blue lander

11-1/2" OAL, 7" blade. It's heavy and sturdy, Probably quite effective as a weapon if it was sharpened back up. It didn't come with a sheath. It looks like a insects took a nibble or two out of the hilt. The edge has some sharp dings in it. The spine is raised like you'd expect in a steel dagger.

I never know what's the appropriate cleaning for copper/brass stuff. Do I shine it up like a new penny or just clean off the verdegris and leave the patina alone?
Attached Images

Last edited by blue lander; 6th May 2015 at 07:16 PM.
blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 11:22 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

My understanding is that copper and brass blades in the Philippines had talismanic properties, so they weren't for fighting so much as for ceremony and ritual.

Interesting piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 02:15 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

As for cleaning the blade, if it were mine I would remove the verdigris from the blade so it does not spread any further. I would then take a piece of dry coarse cloth and use it to polish the blade and fittings removing only the dirt and any other built-up wax, oils or other filth followed by a good coat of ren wax. I would also do a little polishing and waxing to the horn? hilt. Others my have better suggestions on how to clean this, but this is how I would do it.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote