Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th April 2018, 05:26 PM   #1
JamesKelly

Default Trömner guns at auction

Hermann Historica has two matchlock guns from Michael Trömner's collection in their upcoming auction. One is German about 1620, walnut stock marked with a script "K", item no. 65, starting price 4800 Euro.
The other, No. 68, is a heavy hakenbüchse from Regensuburg, beech stock, about 1640. Starting bid 6000 Euro

I have browsed, but not studied, the Viking accumulation of Matchlock's posts. Would anyone happen to know if either of these is described anywhere by Matchlock?

Being strictly amateur in this field, my interest is possibly getting back into building miniatures. A 1/3 scale model of no. 65 interests me. Haven't done this sort of thing for some decades, if I do so, would start out with some tolerable walnut & seamless 1/2" dia x .250" inside diameter (12.7 x 6.25mm) seamless tubing.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Pukka Bundook

James,

It's very sad to hear that more of Michael's collection is being dispersed.

While this forum doesn't accommodate newly made pieces, I would be very interested to see your progress somehow!
My interest is partly in creating full size pieces.

Best,

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 04:29 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKelly
Hermann Historica has two matchlock guns from Michael Trömner's collection in their upcoming auction. One is German about 1620, walnut stock marked with a script "K", item no. 65 ...
You find it HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKelly
The other, No. 68, is a heavy hakenbüchse from Regensuburg, beech stock, about 1640...
Isn't THIS the one ?

Last edited by fernando; 18th April 2018 at 06:07 PM.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 05:48 PM   #4
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
... It's very sad to hear that more of Michael's collection is being dispersed...
Sad but, somehow inevitable, Richard.
It takes ages and an intense pouring of money to gather such a high end collection. It is hardly conceivable that someone shows up with the necessary funds and willing to buy it in one go. Museums are more fond of offers or loans than to cash acquisitions. Eventually Michael tried to put up some compromise with a couple of them, but they evaded.
On the other hand, the person to whom he left his treasure is no collector; however apt to realize by himself the high value of the pieces or enticed by an ever present auctioneer, he finds it practical to sell out piece by piece, which will provide him life support for a long while .
(This is a fictional story made with real events).

Quote:
...While this forum doesn't accommodate newly made pieces, I would be very interested to see your progress somehow!
My interest is partly in creating full size pieces...
You can always exchange views and the result of your skills in a direct mode .
Old 18th April 2018, 07:48 PM   #5
Pukka Bundook

Dear Fernando,

I was being unrealistic maybe, when I believed that the majority of the collection would be staying together in the hands of Michael's friend.

If it is to be weeded regularly, my only consolation is that the pieces will be going to a good home.
Actually, it makes Michael's willingness to share his collection appear even more remarkable, when we think how some collectors simply want to enjoy their collections, and remain anonymous, and not share ..

Indeed Fernando, James and myself can hopefully see each other's projects form,..... over time!

Highest regards,

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 08:54 PM   #6
fernando

Quote:
...Actually, it makes Michael's willingness to share his collection appear even more remarkable ...
Extremely generous he was. Probably he is acting in the same way up there .
Old 15th May 2018, 04:54 AM   #7
ChrisPer

Many museums accept large gifts and squander them in bad storage and no accession to scholars. Then they sell many off anyway, if the curator is managing limited resources for educational objectives.
A private collector is more likely to store them well and share them privately. Private museums are often wonderful though they may not have the longevity or scholarship of some state institutions.
It is Michael himself, his generosity, his huge learning and his legacy in friendships, in teaching and writing, and his preserved photography with information that we latecomers can share that really are most important. Even though it is only by his posts here for many of us, we remain his friends and remember his generosity.
ChrisPer is offline   Reply With Quote