Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 31st January 2011, 04:49 AM   #31
A. G. Maisey

Detlef, there are a number of planar hilt forms, and the differences between them are very, very slight, one really needs to be a tukang jejeran with a family background in the craft to reliably differentiate between the various forms.

The Surakarta yudowinatan form is only one of many of the Surakarta planar hilt forms, but one thing is absolutely certain:- we cannot call this metal hilt "yudowinatan", because of its non-conforming cecekan --- apart from anything else.

In spite of Tunggalametung's interesting offering of photographs, I am afraid that I am unable to move from my opinion that this hilt form is a Central Javanese form, and very probably Surakarta --- but I am not saying here that it was made in Surakarta.

I base my seeming inflexibility on the fact that a photograph in the absence of context does not really demonstrate very much.

If we knew the time, place and circumstances of these photos, we may be able to use what we can see as some sort of evidence of something, but when we take into account the somewhat convoluted dress rules surrounding what was and what was not acceptable in defined circumstances we really are facing a probably insurmountable puzzle.

With all things Javanese there is a difficulty in interpreting anything that is seen, or heard, that can only be overcome with a complete understanding of the circumstances surrounding that which is seen or heard.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 12:48 PM   #32
Sajen

Hello Alan,

you are right, I have used the term yudowinatan a little bit frivolous, maybe because it was used before in this thread. I am aware that there a lot different planar handle forms from Surakarta (such as: yudowinatan, canteng, dan longok and others). I have a small collection of different planar handle and when you see them side by side you can see they are different but I am not able to name them. Alongside there are also planar handle from East Java and Banyumasan with the same style. Maybe it will be nice to start one day a own thread about the different planar handle styles.

So I try to couch my description of this handle new: "A metal wrapped planar Central Javanese (most probable Surakarta) handle likely made in Cirebon."

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 02:56 AM   #33
A. G. Maisey

Detlef, I am not out to start any sort of controversy in respect of origin of this hilt, I am only putting forward for consideration that which I can see.

In respect of the form, there is no doubt at all that it is a Central Javanese form, however, design and execution of detail do vary from what we are used to seeing in a Surakarta hilt.

What catches my eye with the execution is the combination of embossing and engraving. The engraving is remarkable similar to the style that we often find in old Banyumas pendoks. Very different to both Surakarta and Ngayogyakarta, and nothing at all like the workmanship that can positively be associated with the North Coast.

The embossing is fine, and again, nothing like what we are used to seeing from the North Coast.

Bearing in mind the fact that Banyumas did in fact use a planar hilt form, I feel that this is a point of origin that does bear some consideration.
Old 1st February 2011, 02:23 PM   #34
Sajen

Detlef, I am not out to start any sort of controversy in respect of origin of this hilt, I am only putting forward for consideration that which I can see.

I am far away to think like this and I welcome your comment!

Last edited by Sajen; 1st February 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 1st February 2011, 02:52 PM   #35
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In respect of the form, there is no doubt at all that it is a Central Javanese form, however, design and execution of detail do vary from what we are used to seeing in a Surakarta hilt.

What catches my eye with the execution is the combination of embossing and engraving. The engraving is remarkable similar to the style that we often find in old Banyumas pendoks. Very different to both Surakarta and Ngayogyakarta, and nothing at all like the workmanship that can positively be associated with the North Coast.

The embossing is fine, and again, nothing like what we are used to seeing from the North Coast.

Bearing in mind the fact that Banyumas did in fact use a planar hilt form, I feel that this is a point of origin that does bear some consideration.
Hello Alan,

thank you very much for this comment. Since I know that you have seen so much more than I am and have a very good eye for the different styles seems this to be a very good hint for the origin of this hilt. And we know that the ways a keris or parts of it (here a hilt) has gone in it's life can be long it isn't very surprising that this hilt is collect at the North Coast of Java in my opinion, isn't it?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 2nd February 2011, 03:57 AM   #36
A. G. Maisey

Where things are collected, most especially keris, cannot be taken as an indication at all of where they were made.

Extreme examples are the keris and pedang and dagger blades that were shipped as items of trade from Jawa to places as far removed as Sri Lanka and India, in the 15th century.

Less extreme examples are the keris blades that have been made in various centers of production since the 18th century and sold in various places right across maritime SE Asia.

What applies to blades can equally apply to items of dress.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:48 PM   #37
tunggulametung

I think we can be sure that this particular hilt is collected in Cirebon but as Alan suggested, it might be coming from somewhere else even it is equally possible to be made over there. Banyumas is notable for their silverwork? keris perabot so that might be highly possible as well. The western approximate of modern day Central Java has both influences from Javanese/Sundanese culture. I attached a map so those who isn't familiar with the region might understand what we are talking in here. The question is then once Sunda region is Islamized, what hilt are they wear at wedding and other ceremonies? Raksasa hilt? not likely. Stylized hilt? Maybe, in the 17-19 c. They might keep it as pusaka, or still being made as personal keris hilt, but for public gathering? Those KILTV photos shows a little how nunggak semi hilt is popular in Sunda as early as 19 c. Detlef, I must say I'm not sure where it is made, it might be as far as Banten to Surakarta, so I'm sorry you might consider to change the hilt naming once again

Don't forget we have pesisiran Jawa Demam examples as well as Bebondolan and its old style wide gayaman, so influences stretch from Sumatra to Bali; so what make Central Java influence not possible in this case.

I don't know how to put it in English but:
Sometime unavailability is not because it is not existed but because it is not know

my two cents opinion
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:37 PM   #38
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
Detlef, I must say I'm not sure where it is made, it might be as far as Banten to Surakarta, so I'm sorry you might consider to change the hilt naming once again

Dear Chandra,

tidak ada masalah! (no problem)
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:36 AM   #39
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

Interesting post .....
I would start with trying to determine when and where that type of grip was created. That would give me a clue as to whether it was Soenda or Djawa in origin and whether one culture influenced the other in producing this style.

One musn't forget, as many would argue, that at some time in the past Tatar Soenda south of Mt. Merapi, extended to the western banks of the river Progo (thereby easily taking in Banjoemas).
BTW ..... Banjoemasan is not hard to understand by someone who is fluent in Basa Soenda, which may point to some sort of 'cross-pollination'.

Best,

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 4th February 2011 at 02:57 AM.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 09:49 PM   #40
A. G. Maisey

To my knowledge Banyumas was not renowned for silver-work, nor for any other metal work, however old Banyumas pendoks do show a particular type of engraving that is very similar to that which can be seen on this hilt. I've seen the occasional old Jogja hilt with similar work too, but I have never seen it on old Surakarta items, nor on items that were recognised as coming from other areas.

Quite frankly, if this hilt were in my possession I would not give more than two minutes thought to it.

It is an old metal covered hilt in a Central Javanese style.

To me, that would be the end of the story.

To go further is simply too difficult and far too full of hypotheticals to be of any worth at all.

In respect of the form of this hilt, in a broad sense it is undeniably Surakarta, however this form has been copied in other areas --- usually badly --- and a lot of experience is needed to take a good guess at where a less than well executed one of these hilts might have actually been made.

The origin of this specific form of the planar hilt dates back to the partition of Jawa, however, the origins of the planar hilt style are lost in time, and planar hilts clearly existed even before the implosion of Majapahit, not only for keris, but for other weapons and tools as well.It is simply a very practical shape for a handle.
Old 7th February 2011, 06:49 AM   #41
tunggulametung

Quote:
.....old Banyumas pendoks do show a particular type of engraving that is very similar to that which can be seen on this hilt.

.... I've seen the occasional old Jogja hilt with similar work too, but I have never seen it on old Surakarta items, nor on items that were recognised as coming from other areas.
Now you seems very sure that it is Central Java (where form, I'm agree speaking from modern understanding), you mention at first 'no idea at all where it might have been made' then 'very probable Surakarta' (even you note that you are not speaking that it was made in Surakarta) then somehow you associate it with Banyumas given remarkable similar engraving style-and that is very different from Surakarta and Ngayogyakarta. I'm sorry but if you have another two minutes could you please elaborate how such engraving can be positively associated with Banyumas? I thought Banyumas style are more notable for their embossing so I must be wrong in this case so I hope you don't mind to spend another minute or two to enlighten me on how to differentiate Banyumas style pendoks from their Surakarta counterpart in their engraving technique or is it the quality of workmanship that qualify, material or the decoration?

On the occasional jogja hilt with similar work that you refer, is it the work (technique etc), material, decoration or are you try to explain something else in here? Or is it simply Putri Kinurung jogja hilt?

Within my perception nunggak semi hilt is nothing alien in Sunda society (you might want to find some internet photos on some royal Sunda museum collection of Cirebon and Sumedang to illustrate this), and I'm not just speaking about modern day collector who collect just about everything in here. If decoration is important, I can show a very simple hilt where there's no distinct scroll work, mega mendung motif etc needed by a Sundanese to express his work. On the other hand, I can not see how the decoration on Detlef's hilt can be associated with Central Java (other than the overall shape which we all agree) as we in Central Java are crazy about how neat and delicate the cecekan (patra) is etc, a feature usually even missing in Sunda region. I also remember the decoration on the back of the hilt somewhere in a Sundanese sword metal sheath, but I can't remember which piece until now as I've handle quite a few of these. Further the material is not something preferred in Central Java where things, traditionally, doesn't move much from wood or ivory. This is not the case with Sunda. We witness how parallel the West and East Java in terms of hilt variation and examples has been shown by both regions, including the core-metal technique. Also not to forget that many Sunda hilt has a low grade silver or mamas selut which is often poorly done (and very distinct from Surakarta selut), the material is nothing but similar to those I understand as Banyumas pendok.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 7th February 2011, 07:11 AM   #42
A. G. Maisey

Tunggulametung, I am not in the slightest degree interested in getting into a debate with you, nor anybody else, on where this particular hilt may have been made.

I believe I have made that amply clear in all of my posts.

I just don't care where anybody may attribute the thing to in respect of where it was made, or where it may have been worn.

I have made comments based upon my experience, and I am not about to get into giving tuition on how to tell the difference between Jogja work, Solo work and Banyumas work. Anybody who has regularly handled old pendok from these locations can tell at a glance, anybody who has not will need to look in another direction than me for the necessary education.

I have provided my opinion, accept it, or reject it, I simply do not care.

I suggest you may care to read my post #40 again, and try to understand what I have written.It appears your inability to gain a clear understanding of what I have written is causing you to believe I am interested in engaging in some sort of debate.

I am not.
Old 7th February 2011, 07:16 AM   #43
tunggulametung

Quote:
Tunggulametung, I am not in the slightest degree interested in getting into a debate with you, nor anybody else, on where this particular hilt may have been made.
I'm sorry if you perceive that way but also not my intention. We are here to discuss.

Have a good day
Old 7th February 2011, 07:54 AM   #44
A. G. Maisey

Yes, that was the way I read your post, but if you say that your intention was not to debate the matter, fair enough, my comment is withdrawn.

However, my position is still the same, in simple terms:-

1)-- the form of this hilt is Central Javanese.

2)-- this form has been associated with Central Jawa since at least the mid- 1700's ( see Jensen)

3)-- it is the Central Javanese form that follows Surakarta form

4)-- it may have been made anywhere

5)-- the line engraving, ( or perhaps the correct term may be incising, as the technique used does not involve cutting, and equally does not involve the embossing process, but rather is carried out by inscribing a line into the surface of the metal with a blunt tool that is pressed and drawn), is similar to that used on old Banyumas pendok; I have not seen this technique used on metal work associated with Surakarta, nor have I seen it on work that can be clearly identified as coming from other areas, but I have seen a few examples on old Jogja pendoks.

6)-- I am not putting forward an opinion on where this hilt may have been made, nor am I putting forward an opinion where it may have been worn, nor am I providing a hypothesis on the conditions under which it may have been worn. I have made a number of comments that are based upon my personal experience, and the opinion given relates to the similarity of workmanship in this hilt with the workmanship to be found in old Banyumas pendok, it also relates to the form of the hilt.

Do not interpret these very limited opinions to construe more than they are intended to construe.
Old 7th February 2011, 10:44 AM   #45
tunggulametung

Well yes it is a discussion forum and not a debate forum but debate or let say argument is integral part of discussion so often we don't realize however it is an important aspect to build a good discussion

Great, thank you for your reply. I guess it is because from how I learn Banyumas pendok usually come in emboss work and attribute more engrave/incise to Surakarta (other than emboss) but be sure I'm telling the truth when I'm saying often lost on how they differ even though I have handle many Central Java pendoks (not that regularly though). I don't count Jogja on this statement because most of the time I'm confidence I can tell when it is Jogja.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:40 AM   #46
A. G. Maisey

Yes, Solo work is certainly engraved, even though we mostly see Solo embossed pendoks, these are made for Solo, not made in Solo, the reason being purely economic, as even the lowest priced Solo engraved pendok is quite expensive.

I suspect that we're possibly getting a little bit of confusion in terminology here Tunggulametung. The Banyumas technique that I have referred to as "engraved", or "incised", you may well be thinking of in terms of "embossed".

I have seen all three of these techniques carried out. Engraving uses gravers --- little chisels --- driven by hand and hammer. Embossing uses punches driven by hammer. The Banyumas technique uses a blunt scriber that is drawn over the face of the metal and leaves a line, it does not remove metal, but leaves an impressed line.To my knowledge this technique has not been used commercially for a very long time.

However, all of this is neither here nor there:- the work on the hilt looks like Banyumas pendok work, no matter how it was done. The embossing in the cecekan panel has obviously been executed by a different technique, and it is not this work that is under discussion, but the ornamentation on the planes.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:06 PM   #47
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Debate vs. Discussion

Just a word or two here on the subject gentlemen. As i see it we are clearly here to "discuss". For me at least the word "debate" implies a more aggressive approach as in debate the debater is generally trying his best to WIN his argument. I see no necessity for such a "victory" in our discussions on these boards.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 12:45 PM   #48
A. G. Maisey

My point exactly David. I agree wholeheartedly.

I read Tunggulametung's post # 41 as being presented in the style of debate, he assured me that my interpretation was incorrect, and I accept his assurance.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:25 AM   #49
tunggulametung

Thanks David, it is clear that I need to learn how to compose a better English sentences when seeking for answer/confirmation in a discussion board Again not my intention to debate or win my argument although it may sounded in such a way, I might don't realize it the time I compose my post. I apologize to Alan and all the readers should they might sounded harsh in the way they were presented.

A note for Alan:
I suspect that we're possibly getting a little bit of confusion in terminology here Tunggulametung. The Banyumas technique that I have referred to as "engraved", or "incised", you may well be thinking of in terms of "embossed".

No I understand how they differ. I'm trying to say in my previous post that I learn the way Banyumas pendok done were more in emboss and not engraved/incised but chances I get mixed with Surakarta pendok as there are many times when I can not tell how they differ. But perhaps we should save that for another discussion as we are here to discuss a hilt

Anyway, just like Alan, I think I have note down all things I know and should anybody want to suggest his opinion shall this thread back to the subject as it was first intended by the thread starter

Thank you
Old 8th February 2011, 12:54 PM   #50
A. G. Maisey

I know that this thread is about a hilt, but it seems that we have been drawn into discussion of the different types of techniques that have been used to make pendok coming from differing locations.

I hope that the accompanying photos, although not of particularly good quality, will be adequate to illustrate the differences we have been talking about.

Photo 'A' is of four old Banyumas pendok that have had the motif applied by what I shall call incising; 'B' is a close up of one of those pendok. The technique was demonstrated to me perhaps 20 years ago by a craftsman who was well known within the keris trade and almost unknown outside the trade, a man who was the descendant of a line of craftsmen who had worked in the keris trade in Yogyakarta:- Bp. Pawirodihardjo, AKA Pak Walijo. He also identified this pendok style as Banyumas. The ones shown are poor examples of low quality, and in some cases have had the curve at the top flattened, so that they could be fitted to Surakarta wrongkos. Pak Walijo passed away some years ago, but his legacy will be with us for a long time to come.

Photo 'C' is a fair quality embossed Banyumas pendok in silver, 'D' is a close up.

Photo 'E' is a new Surakarta pendok with engraved motif, 'F' is a close up.

Photo 'G' is a Yogyakarta pendok with incised motif, 'H' is a close up.

The Banyumas pendok form, as explained to me by Pak Walijo, is similar to the Surakarta form but has a curved top and in some cases a lis (collar) fitted to that curved top.

I most earnestly hope that these photos clarify what I have been trying to explain.
Attached Images

Old 8th February 2011, 01:30 PM   #51
tunggulametung

Spot on! Example C is what I'm trying to explain in my previous post. That collar type might be one of the good hint then. Thank you for providing the examples I know I can learn from you!

I should have look more into example A (this is where I mixed), but just to share a view (as how you mention they are often made for Surkarta), I know for once they are supplied from Jogja (recent made) but that just one time experience and may not the case in the past or all the time and if I remember correct that is one with flat/angled opening (not curved).

Thanks again.

Last edited by tunggulametung; 8th February 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:11 PM   #52
A. G. Maisey

I'm not all that sure that a lis can be taken as a definite Banyumas origin indicator, as Madura and North Coast pendok also are sometimes found with lis.

The relationship between Banyumas and Solo pendok is that old Banyumas pendok have often been squared off at the top so that they can be used on a Solo wrongko.

Most affordable recently made pendok come from Imogiri, and are embossed. They are supplied in all styles and sold wherever keris are sold.
Old 10th February 2011, 02:30 PM   #53
tunggulametung

Quote:
I'm not all that sure that a lis can be taken as a definite Banyumas origin indicator, as Madura and North Coast pendok also are sometimes found with lis.
Yes I'm aware of that. Thank you for your note
Old 12th February 2011, 03:43 PM   #54
Sajen

Thank you all very much for this very interesting discussion!