Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th September 2015, 05:31 AM   #1
Green

Default Keris malevolence?

Most people in Malaysia and Indonesia view old antique kerises with trepidation. Since old kerises are likely to be cleaned and underwent periodic esoteric rituals many believe they have acquired certain 'penunggu' ( guardian?) in the form of either good or bad Jin (genie) or 'makhluk halus'( paranormal beings?).

Once the owner has passed on or sold the keris and the rituals are stopped, these genie/paranormal beings may start acting up !. There are many tales that members of the family where the keris is kept are disturbed in their sleep by appearance of malevolent creatures in hedious forms and having nightmares so much so that many have to get rid of these kerises or sell them off (in which case the next family will have the same experience. But like ghosts, many have tales to tell but none are actually proven.

So, I'd appreciate the keris experts in this forum to shed some light on this issue/phenomenon and if one happen to suspect that some in their collection is giving bad effect on members of the family what is the right thing to do?

I personally like keris purely from the aesthetic standpoint and completely ignore the paranormal aspct and occurences as propably just due to the effect of autosuggestion but lately one of my boys (univ grad adult and already married and don't 'believe in ghosts') is complaining about my collection as he's been getting frightening nightmares which he blamed on my keris collection!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote