Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th September 2014, 05:06 PM   #1
DaveA

Lightbulb Backwards hilt on WWII-era Moro Kris. Mistake?

Hello,

In a recent post of my new Moro Kris, from Sulu, several esteemed members of the forum said the hilt was mounted "backward."

I suppose that whether a hilt appears mounted "backward" is a judgement in reference to a standard set by some set of other examples, whether historical or contemporary.

What if the owner deliberately wanted the hilt positioned that way for reasons of his own, e.g., fighting style? Especially if one sees many examples of backward hilts contemporary with the item in question, I would suspect it is due to a practical reason, not a mistake.

In the case of kris, the "upside down" position of the longer portion of the ganja might protect the fingers better if one's downward slash attack was blocked by a sword -- or a rifle barrel/bayonet -- meeting it in an upward stroke and sliding down the blade. While there are many possible attacks with a sword (and defenses), typically a rifle (with or without bayonet) is most effective when pointed directly at an enemy. An upward block to a downward slash makes sense in this case. Furthermore, IMHO, the attacker has a better chance of catching the bayonet, or hooking the rifle barrel, and redirecting it in this backward configuration.

In WWII, I imagine there may have been many such encounters between sword and rifle.

Form follows function.

A theory, but one without evidence. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Dave A.

Last edited by DaveA; 28th September 2014 at 01:06 AM.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote