Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 17th July 2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Helleri

Default Letter Opener(?) for translation, context, and thoughts.

I had a small letter opener collection a while back. This is the last piece from it that I still have. It was a gift from my mother. Where she got it I couldn't say (She goes to a lot of estate, garage, and yard sales. As well as the flea market and auction houses frequently.

The Inscription reads "ASS. NAZ. VOLONTARI DI GUERRA ·: 1915 - 1916 · lll ZONA"

It is non ferromagnetic. Feels too heavy to be aluminum. Not as heavy as and harder than pewter. Feels to be one solid piece (if hollow at the core could be pewter after all?). And it is the exact same deal on the other side just with no inscription.

I recognize the axe head in the bundle of sticks as a fasces. But so many have used that since the Romans that stand alone that aspect doesn't seem to narrow it down (except to say that it is likely European?).
Attached Images

Last edited by Helleri; 17th July 2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: title changes; minor spelling edits.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 03:01 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Probably Associazione Nazionale Volontari di Guerra.
Certainly an object not related with antique European weapons ... nor any. Thread moving to the Miscellania section. You may find better results browsing in sites dedicated to WW1.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 04:35 PM   #3
corrado26

I think this is a letter opener made during the existance of the "Partito Nazionale Fascista" (PNF), which was from 1921 to 1943 an Italian party that was developped from the in 1918 founded "Fasci di Combattimento" by Benito Mussolini. The PNF has been the party of the state of Italy between 1926 and 1943. Your letter opener shows the symbol of this party.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Probably Associazione Nazionale Volontari di Guerra.
Certainly an object not related with antique European weapons ... nor any. Thread moving to the Miscellania section. You may find better results browsing in sites dedicated to WW1.
Sorry I didn't notice the misc. section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
I think this is a letter opener made during the existance of the "Partito Nazionale Fascista" (PNF), which was from 1921 to 1943 an Italian party that was developped from the in 1918 founded "Fasci di Combattimento" by Benito Mussolini. The PNF has been the party of the state of Italy between 1926 and 1943. Your letter opener shows the symbol of this party.
corrado26
You don't think it's dated a little early for that?
Old 18th July 2016, 07:50 AM   #5
corrado26

L’Associazione Nazionale Volontari di Guerra, (ANVG) is an Italian organisation of veterans founded in Rome in 1924 that unites still today all volunteers of all wars Italy has been involved in.
Why this early signature appears on your piece I don't know but the name of this organisation is written on the blade and so the object must have something to do with this Italian association.
corrado26
Old 18th July 2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Helleri

Perhaps it is in recognition a vets service years who was with the organization at the time he received it?
Old 18th July 2016, 07:58 PM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helleri
Perhaps it is in recognition a vets service years who was with the organization at the time he received it?

that sounds likely, served 1914-15 and joined the org. in 1924 whereupon he was awarded the item.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 06:40 PM   #8
corrado26

I think that hits the nail
corrado26