Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th July 2016, 10:07 AM   #1
kronckew

Default Letter opener?

aquired this 'letter opener in the form of a kris' from epray. less than the price of a couple of pints of guinness. 11.5 in. overall. suspect it's not for opening letters tho. also suspect fairly modern. looks like the blade may have once had some etched writings on it, will know more when it arrives. at worst a nice letter opener.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Kronckew,

you are correct, fairly recent Indonesian knife, scabbard and hilt seems Javanese to my eyes, blade look similar to recent rencong blades I've seen with inscriptions.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 03:43 PM   #3
kronckew

it reminded me of knives/swords that a dealer in australia supplied. not strictly traditional, but close. i've got a horn rencong with a similar blade, (w/o lettering) i'm fond of the blade shape even tho the garuda bird grip & scabbard are not overly historical. surprisingly, the item auctioned for less that a tenner, tho there were 4 bidders. it'll likley go in the same box as the rencong as i don't really have room to display it.
Old 10th July 2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Henk

I'm quitte sure i would go for the pints of quinness.
It definitely is made for those who travel. I would use it to open my letters.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 10:32 AM   #5
kronckew

arrived this morning. 6.5 in. blade doesn't have any sign of lettering or etch designs, like it appeared from vendor photo. must have been photo artifacts.

was stickered "old filipino dagger' ( £10" on the back of the scabbard (more than i paid).

there are some grind marks, it has been sharpened, and more interestingly there are definite signs of hand forging and lamination lines, may be interesting to try a bit of fruit etching. not one of my best knives, but a cut above a letter opener.
Old 15th July 2016, 09:43 AM   #6
ariel

I know the feeling: from time to time we get an irresistible urge to buy a new toy, a "something". Usually it ends with a piece of junk we do not understand what possessed us to even look at. And the only justification we have is that it cost us less than a hamburger:-) Been there, done that.

Might be an interesting topic to research for some psychologist-cum- economist. The entire TV Buying Channel is built on this principle.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 10:10 AM   #7
colin henshaw

In my opinion, the main attribute for art/antique objects you own, is that you yourself like it....
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote