Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2023, 04:29 PM   #1
Bayowolf

Default Interesting German style plug bayonet with British motto

Here is an plug bayonet that may be of interest. In styling, it is Germanic early to mid 18th century. The inscription is very interesting. Engraved on each side of the blade are the coat of arms of George II and the motto, Vivat Georg II Rex Britanae. So what is a German plug bayonet doing with a British engraving? Of course there were many connections between England and several German states in the 18th century. But there is a very intriguing connection between Hesse-Kassel and George II.

The Hesse Kassel Army museum has a similar plug bayonet with different engraving. Their example is engraved to Friederich II Landgraff zu Hesse. There was a Landgrave Frederick II of Hesse-Kassel born 1720, Died 1785. Frederick was married to Princess Mary of Great Britain. She was the daughter of George II. It is quite possible that this plug bayonet belonged to a member of her household. Or perhaps was a gift from Mary to a relative back in England. Frederick was famous for providing Hessian mercenaries to his father in law for his wars. Including fighting the pesky traitors in America. The possible connections are fun to think about although we will never know for sure.
Attached Images

Bayowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 06:41 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Red face An uneducated question ...

Don't hit my hard, Shawn. My knowledge of plug bayonets is purely residual. Reason why i dare ask; could it be that this hexagonal blade is actually British and was mounted in a German grip at a later stage ... for whatever reason ? .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 06:48 PM   #3
Will M

Can you picture the museum example? Reminds me of a broken sword blade repurposed for a plug bayonet but who knows? Nice to see an early marking such as this.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 07:48 PM   #4
Merenti

I am of the opinion that the handle and a piece of old blade were put together later.
Merenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 04:52 PM   #5
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Don't hit my hard, Shawn. My knowledge of plug bayonets is purely residual. Reason why i dare ask; could it be that this hexagonal blade is actually British and was mounted in a German grip at a later stage ... for whatever reason ? .
I would hazard a guess that the blade is not British. The Royal Cypher at the time was usually a plain or intertwined GR beneath a crown. There was no need to expand upon this as his title of 'Rex Britanae' (which would have been 'Britannia' anyway) would have been taken for granted.
I could be wrong, and there are always exceptions.
Also George II was also Elector of Hanover and visited several times.
Just my thoughts
Best wishes
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2023, 09:27 PM   #6
Bayowolf

Default Hessian plug bayonet

I see no reason to think the blade was put with the handle later. It certainly appears to be untouched peening. The age of the blade and the hilt matchup nicely with other known examples. While I can't completely rule out a composite piece. I see no reason to think this is.

For Richard G- Yes, Hannover or Brunswick were obviously my first thoughts with their ties to George. But as I have stated there is a Hessian connection to George as well.

The Hessian museum bayonet is attached. Not very good images, I'm afraid.
Attached Images

Bayowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 09:52 AM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Duly noted, Shawn .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote