Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st December 2022, 07:29 PM   #1
eftihis

Default Bazaar musket

Hello and happy new year to all!
Somebody i know insists he had made a wonderful purchase, this flashy north African musket, thinking that is a genuine antique weapon. I am sure is a recent bazaar piece but i dont know how to convince him, can anyone help with a photo of this type of musket in a North African bazaar or shop?
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2023, 08:24 AM   #2
corrado26

I have no fotos of guns in a bazaar shop, but I think it depends on what you or your friend understand under "antique". The photo attached shows four guns of Morocco made in the traditional 19. century style which differs a lot from the gun of your friend. In my opinion his gun has been made in the 1950s and some people take this already as antique. Further photos of a similarly made gun I have attached
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2023, 11:57 AM   #3
David R

Flashy, certainly... but more important does the lock work, is there a sound barrel? Daft as it seems check for a powder load still down the spout! Sometimes these are original pieces with later decoration.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:57 AM   #4
thinreadline

very often the tourist examples have no functioning touch hole .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2023, 02:15 PM   #5
AHite

One thing that stands out to me that this is a modern piece, made to look aged is that the two round head slotted screws on the gun seem to be peened the same way. The peening has partially closed the screw slot. On my antique ethnographic guns, as well as my very old US made Kentucky and Pennsylvania long guns, screw slots tend to get widened and worn out by use of improper sized screwdrivers. The impact damage on these two screw heads seems inconsistent with the relative lack of damage to the rest of the gun. So I believe that this damage was done intentionally by the builder.

None the less, this is a cool, decorative piece.
AHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2023, 10:04 PM   #6
Drabant1701

I agree with previous posters. Its a good chance they used an old lock and barrel and remade it in the 20th century. I like it its very decorative. I would not activly buy one but if some one gave it to me I would hang it on the wall.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2023, 07:27 PM   #7
rickystl

Agree with Corrado. It's one of the better made tourist items from the 1960's or earlier,which sometimes used a combination of original surplus and new parts. The lock is an original snaphaunce from a Moroccan musket. The barrel could be an original, shortened or just a piece of formed pipe. The length being shorter than normal to make it easier for the tourist to transport back home - during that time before all the anti-gun regulations started. Looks like there was quite a bit of work in it.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote