Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th February 2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Pukka Bundook

Default Tulwar Vs sabre.

I became interested in tulwars after reading Richard Holmes book, "Sahib".
Before this, I thought that tulwars were more or less cheap rubbish!.........Probably because when I was a kid they could be bought for three pounds ten, or 2 for 5 quid...complete with gold or silver on hilt!

In Richard Holmes book another Tulwar emerged, one that appeared to outclass the British regulation blades as issued to infantry officers and cavalry.
This was a great surprize to me, and I had to find a Tulwar to inspect!
I will paraphrase the odd excerpt from "Sahib"
and ask for comments.
When the 93rg Highlanders stormed Lucknow, two of three brothers were killed by an Indian with a single cut each. The third brother bayoneted this man, took his tulwar and used it (according to eye-witness Sgt. Forbes-Mitchell) with: "terrible effect.......cutting heads off as though they were heads of cabbages".
When the fight was over the Sgt, examined the sword, and found it was of "ordinary weight, well balanced, curved about a quarter circle, as sharp as any razor, and as rigid as cast iron"
He goes on to say that in his experience none of the very best English swords would have cut like this one, and that a sword of this quality would cut through a man's skull or thigh bone, "Without the least shiver....as easily as an ordinary Birmingham blade would have cut through a willow"
(Page 350, "Sahib")
Another young officer had a sword made especially by Wilkinson to regulation pattern, and honed it like a razor, and bright as a mirror, yet found he was surprized that he could not cut hard with it. (P 351)
Many more examples in this book.

Comments anyone?
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote