Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th October 2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Middle Sepik dagger.

I have endulged myself with a "buy it now" a fool and thier money are soon parted.

These are ofcorse common, and one should not pay a lot for them. I fell for this example because it shows the Abelem peoples art so well. Also it is a good 15 inches long. Looking closely at the carved figure, it apears to be female. Compare the genitalia to the pictures of spirt house panels I include from "Anthony JP Meyer - Oceanic Art" representing the primordial couple. Clearly the image carved on the dagger is female. I think the form of the dagger itself is male and with the carving a represntation of the couple. This dagger was not cheap but as it carries so much art and culture I felt it was worth the extra cost. It is rather pretty.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 03:15 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

Nice carving. How old do you think it is?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

I hope it is at least around 100 years old. It could even be earlier? It is comming from the Netherlands. western New Guinea was added to the Dutch Eastindies in th late 1880s. The strength and confidence of the work makes me feel that it is as I hope early 20th cent. It might even be made from a human femur often taken from the father of the owner which adds a little frisson.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 15th October 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 15th October 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I hope it is at least around 100 years old. It could even be earlier? It is comming from the Netherlands. western New Guinea was added to the Dutch Eastindies in th late 1880s. The strength and confidence of the work makes me feel that it is as I hope early 20th cent. It might even be made from a human femur often taken from the father of the owner which adds a little frisson.

Hello Tim,

normally are the Abelam daggers made from the thighbone of the cassowary (Casuarius Casuarius, see also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary).
I don't think that your dagger is old like this but I may be wrong by this.
Here for comparison my example.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

That is very nice Detlef. Here are two more views, all there is un till I have it. Apparently the carved female is not unusual. Looks like it couls well be as old as the one you show.
Attached Images

Old 15th October 2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
That is very nice Detlef. Here are two more views, all there is un till I have it. Apparently the carved female is not unusual. Looks like it couls well be as old as the one you show.
I don't think that my one is older, maybe a little bit, but I know that patination in such regions coming very soon. I think a coarse guess let them be from the first half until middle last century. Your dagger shows a nice patina as well.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote