Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2016, 04:02 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Another Bugis Alamang For Study

Beyond the blade form and unique hilt style, it seems about anything goes regarding the scabbards and dress of Bugis alamangs. This is mostly likely determined by the wealth and/or prestige of the owner.

Here is another one for study with a typical horn hilt and housed in a very plain wooden scabbard that is dressed in silver alloy bands around it. These were a mess, and Battara, thankfully, was able to get them back to their original form. Naturally, they would have been a little less "wrinkled" and tighter in their "working life".

The rather simple, even arguably tacky, decor of the fittings belie the nature of a superb blade, perhaps the best I have ever seen on an alamang. The blade is of extremely heavy, clever-like in weight, and a bit awkward to weld, but it is a thickly forged monster capable of devastating blows. Note the blade's beautiful layering. Also note the finely chiseled forte and what appear to be a "pinched" spine and edge just below it.. Perhaps most interesting of all are the inserts to the tip of the blade along with its decorative serrated spine at the tip. I am assuming the inserts are talismanic.

Another unique examples...comments and insights welcomed!

Dimensions:
Overall length: 29in.
Blade length: 20.5in.
Average blade width: 1.25in.
Blade thickness at the forte: 3/8 in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 07:19 PM   #2
kai

Hello Charles,

Quote:
Beyond the blade form and unique hilt style, it seems about anything goes regarding the scabbards and dress of Bugis alamangs. This is mostly likely determined by the wealth and/or prestige of the owner.
Sort of - even the blade and hilt can vary quite a bit; seems that alameng hardly means anything but sword...

Quote:
Here is another one for study with a typical horn hilt and housed in a very plain wooden scabbard that is dressed in silver alloy bands around it
Yes, the fittings do look Bugis (or Gowa).

Quote:
The rather simple, even arguably tacky, decor of the fittings belie the nature of a superb blade, perhaps the best I have ever seen on an alamang. The blade is of extremely heavy, clever-like in weight, and a bit awkward to weld, but it is a thickly forged monster capable of devastating blows.
The high-end examples usually have miring type pamor, including some nice twist core variations. This blade is forged well and has some interesting features though.

However, I'm not convinced this blade is Bugis. Almost all Bugis/Gowa blades with rather simple pamor mlumah show a kind of slanted pamor motif at the base of the blade (cp. the attached pic). I also can't remember having seen any Bugis blade with these features:
1. chiseled forte
2. "pinched" spine and edge just below it (could you please add a close-up from below, too?)
3. serrations at the tip (including the very thick spine extending right to where it meets the edge)
4. inserted dots from another metal (dots with miring pamor are quite common at the base of the blade though)
5. tang having the same width as the base of the blade

Thus, I'm a bit dumbfounded. While this may be a trade blade from another culture, I can't really suggest a likely origin. Any other takers?

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote