Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th July 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
AJ1356

Default Shashka mostlikely Bukharan

This is the latest addition to my collection. A Bukharan shashqa, lots of silver work, nice wootz steel the pictures do not show the pattern real well, but one of these days I'll take some better pictures. The scabord is missing one of the rings. I think the handle is bone. comment and more info would be appreciated, the inscription is not clear it says لا الا which would mean there is no but, I think was supposed to say there is not God but Allah, but the person gave up half way...
Attached Images

AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 05:15 PM   #2
TVV

Very nice, thank you for sharing. This is righ up Ariel's alley and he would probably jump in with his comments when he sees the thread. I agree that the ricasso indicates a Central Asian origin.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
the inscription is not clear it says لا الا which would mean there is no but, I think was supposed to say there is not God but Allah, but the person gave up half way...
Good evening
if I translate your Arabic writting;
- "la la" either "no no"
but from the blade, we can't read something, I mean in Arabic
after, it's pure speculation

you mentioned; "Bukhara" as origin, might be,
but at this moment I have an interrogation,
no turquoise in decor, either on scabbard, or the hilt?
it's one of the particularities for daggers coming from this town
the handle is more symptomatically of Caucasus (East of Caspian Sea)
even, Circassian, than Uzbek (West of Caspian Sea)
the roots of Bukhara population are "Tajik" as well as in Samarkand,
that means, more Persian, than Cossack

it's my thought at the sight of this beautiful dagger,
congratulations for this nice acquisition
regards

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice piece AJ !
While this shashka does resemble Uzbek examples, which is likely a better classification than Bukharen in this case, it should be noted that Afghan examples also bear close resemblances. In research done many years ago in trying to identify one of these it seems that the authorities I consulted emphasized this dilemma.Uzbekistan shares a southern border with Afghanistan, and as Dom notes, Bukharen weapons often show a propensity toward the use of turquoise in decoration, but it seems more on daggers. The Bukharen sabres actually are not related to shashkas and are seen with much different hilts, typically with five rivets.

Uzbek shashkas do have this type of long silvered scabbard tip, usually fluted,and it is important to note the extension of the backstrap of the hilt, a characteristic of Central Asian weapons such as Khyber knives as well as shamshirs and of course, these shashkas. The rudimentary work on this appears possibly early 20th century, these are usually calyx shaped.

Regardless, these are extremely rare weapons that seldom turn up in auctions as far as I have seen, and I would presume this is a Uzbek shashka from regions toward Afghanistan. Russia's "Great Game" from 1813 until the beginning of the 20th century established Bukhara, Khiva and many of these principalities as protectorates, and the influence of Caucasian shashkas used by officers in Russian regiments including Cossacks seems likely to have entered these regions through the 19th century.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 20th July 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice

A nice piece AJ,

I have a few examples of these Central Asian/Afghan sabres myself along with a Bukharan sabre and others.
Other member in the forum also hold examples of the type you show and the Bukharan sabres. You will notice a very distinct difference in styling.

Exact regional aspects are hard to place.
Some show strong Russian military regulation type fittings accosiated directly with Afghanistan regions and seen on the the later Afghanistan Pulowar and other later regualtion swords seen in the hands of Afghan Military officials of the 19th century, yet others show strong local Ethnic influence as does yours.

Yours appears to have a better 'unique custom' blade where others follow a trade pattern seen within the regions.

Ariel has discussed several within these pages that show armoury marks specific to Afghanistan but this doesn't seem to be conclusive to origins due to the vast type of weapons from other regions seen with this stamp.
This example you show is a nice looker with a blade that shows very good potential. Nice to see silver fittings too. Your grip slabs are newish and replaced, likely to keep the old warrior alive and useful. A shame to see the bolster riveted. Overall a nice old piece with good potential.

Your PM ability is not operational.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:14 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Moderated status Gav.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:44 AM   #7
AJ1356

The dealer first presented this to me as a Safavid sword, and when i first saw it i doubt it that, and knew it had a Central Asian origin. The possibilities are high that is is Afghan, but for certain I can say it is not government or military, I have seen those as well and the workmanship is not at the level of this peice. So ethnic Northern Afghanistan or Central Asian / Bukharan seems probable to me.(one thing to remember I am told by dealers here that the ability to make wootz blades in afghanistan were lost around the time of Safavids, that is probably when they see blades with Jowhar they think it is Safavi) This does not have any kind of simi-precious jewels work, but I have a tiny knofe that does, well take pics later I do appreciate all your posts as i personally did not know anything about shashkas until i saw this and started researching.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Default A couple of examples

Here are a couple of examples from my collections being of the same 'type' seen with a Bukharan sabre and Caucasian sabres to compare with.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 20th July 2011, 11:06 AM   #9
ALEX

Quote:
The dealer first presented this to me as a Safavid sword, ... I am told by dealers here that the ability to make wootz blades in afghanistan were lost around the time of Safavids, that is probably when they see blades with Jowhar they think it is Safavi...
the first statement tells a lot about the dealer:-) ... the following does not come far either:-) they say it to make the sword more attractive and expensive... every wootz sword they sell is probably Safavid:-)

I think the shashka is more Afghani then Central Asian, or a mix of both. The blade looks much Indian actually!!!! can we see it in full length?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:28 PM   #10
AJ1356

Gav, that is a beautiful collection you have, I have seen the one with the blue velvet cover before, probably on this forum.
Alex, the reason the dealers in Afghanistan claim things as Safawi is ofcourse they want to get a higher price, but mainly is because they don't know any better, they ones i have talked to tell me of most items that they just know if it is fake or real. As far as putting an age ro era they are pretty much lost. Most know nothing about antiques they have just fallen into the trade by chance, go figure.
Old 20th July 2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Yeowwweee!!! Gav, there they are!!! Absolutely breathtaking panoply of these sabres. Now I need to go lay down a while

I agree with Alex this shashka seems more inclined toward Afghan. The 'Safavid' term for this weapon is of course somewhat misplaced chronologically, and while that dynasty effectively ended in 1736, its impact obviously remains strong in the Iranian character and culture thus the term is meant more figuratively I would imagine. With this being a relatively modern piece perhaps they cannot have meant Safavid literally, the Safavids did not use shashkas, nor were these forms present in those times. The ricasso on the blade is most interesting as noted and not characteristic of these weapons in these regions but more to Northern India, suggesting the blade may be from there, and even more supporting Afghan provenance.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:50 PM   #12
A.alnakkas

Attractive saber, AJ!

Amazing collection Gav. The Bukharan, as you told me is the top one. Is it identified by the hilt shape? the blades look very similar!

I always wondered why these sabers have no guard. They look very attractive though.

The two bottom ones have blades almost identical to ones I seen in arab swords.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 06:14 AM   #13
Gavin Nugent

True Buhkaran sabres are a special breed un to themselves andsomewhat of a mystery.

I know the city night watchmen and day guards within the walls did not wear swords during the later part of the 19th century and it is likey this was the case earlier too so I can only assume at this point in time that the Buhkaran sabres were only in the hands of military forces or men who could afford them and were allowed to wear them.

The below image and the one shown at the top of my grouping above will help seperate the Bukharan sabres from the other larger Afghan or Central Asian cousins such as the one you present AJ.

Philip Tom describes the Bukharan form best. From a post I can not pinpoint at present;

Quote;
"1. The "szabla bukharska" generally has a blade whose width expands just before it meets the handle. (sometimes the effect is subtle because of repeated sharpening, but even in such cases the change in width is apparent when you compare the edge and spine contours) Occasionally, the edge widens out to a short blunted area or "ricasso", a feature seen on many Indian talwars and Afghan puluoar blades. The shashka's curve or contour at the edge tends to maintain a more constant relationship to that of the spine, and a prominent ricasso is generally absent.

2. Bukharska tips are generally more acute than the more deeply radiused edge at the average shashka's point.

3. The hilt of a shaskha is invariably "cleft" with a deep V notch between two "ears" at the pommel. Bukharska hilts are solid and don't expand into these big ears.

4. The mouth of the bukharska scabbard never swallows the hilt of the sword like the majority of shashka scabbards do. The slightly wedge-shaped "nose" of the blade bolster nests in a shallow V shaped cutout in the mouth of the scabbard.

If you look at the closest weapon that incorporates all 4 of the above features which are characteristic of these Turkestan sabers, you come up with ..... the Persian pesh kabz. Imagine that you can inject a curved bladed pesh kabz with steroids, and massage it just a little bit, and you can see how these sabers could come about.

5. Another thing comes to mind: Shashkas for the most part seem to be universally long, the blades generally over 31 inches (unless damaged and re tipped). I have noted a large proportion of bukharskas that tend to be on the short side, well under 30 inches. The shashka is of course a horseman's weapon, so length is important. The peoples of Turkestan had cavalry forces too, but in states such as Bukhara, Samarqand, and Khiva, the rulers fielded infantry forces as well. Admittedly, we do not have complete information yet about the use of these sabers; Herr Rohrer states that the exact manner of attaching the scabbard to the wearer's body was not known. So, further research is needed."Unquote.

Below is an Image from the Moscow Museum or Oriental art.

Descriptions are as follows.

""Bukhara, Uzbekistan. 19th century

Steel, silver gilt, turquoise, bone.

Length 101 cm. Inv. No. 3404 III

Received in 1949 from a private collection.

Steel, velvet, turquoise, bone.

Length 92 cm. Inv. No. 2280

Received in 1930 from a private collection

Steel, turquoise, enamel.

Length 90 cm. lnv.No.3705 III

Received in 1952 from the Hermitage, Leningrad. First publication.

The blades of sabres were made of high-quality steel and often decorated with engraved ornamentation. The scabbards were usually decorated with great lavishness. They were made of precious materials-white or gilded silver adorned with chased or engraved floral patterns. They were also frequently decorated with polychrome enamels and set with precious or semiprecious stones- diamonds, corals and polished turquoise which, according to local beliefs, brought luck.

In the 19th century, cold steel practically lost its primary function as a weapon and became merely an attribute of men's costumes on festive and ceremonial occasion. In the khanates of Bukhara, Kokand and Khiva such sabres were granted as rewards to courtiers and presented as gifts to foreign ambassadors and rulers.""

This image is not to say all Bukharan sabres are stone encrusted beauties (one of which I hope to obtain one day), mine is testament to plainer dress and so far it is of a unique blade profile.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 23rd July 2011, 10:39 AM   #14
A.alnakkas

I can feel my bank account cry as I set the plan to own one of those haha

Thanks for the info Gav, its a treasure to a beginner like me :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I can feel my bank account cry as I set the plan to own one of those haha

Thanks for the info Gav, its a treasure to a beginner like me :-)
Bank account.....yeah I have one too but the balance...well there is a sad story....

Happy to help Lofty and I hope it is of some help to others too.

Gav
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:38 PM   #16
AJ1356

Gav that is some great info, and those are some beautiful scabards, pretty sure the blades inside are awesome as well. My grandmother was from Samarqand and I remember when i was super young there was a sword at home that they had brought with them after the Russians had invaded and they had migerated to Afghanistan. It was all metal with no scabard but the hilt shape was just like the ones you pictured. One a second thought maybe i should try to see how i can get that.
Back to my shashka, This week I am super busy at work, Hopefully in a couple of days i can get everything done and go and pay off this shashka and then take some better pictures. I bet with the pictures of the full lenght blade it would be easier to indentify. On another thought I wonder who came up with the word Palowar/Palouar for afghan swords, we call them simply as shamshir, just like pretty much every other sword.
Old 24th July 2011, 10:27 AM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Default Blades

I look forward to seeing the old sword if you can find it AJ.

Here is a better side by side view to show size and curve and other blade aspects.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2011, 02:05 PM   #18
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
True Buhkaran sabres are a special breed un to themselves and some what of a mystery.
...snip...
This image is not to say all Bukharan sabres are stone encrusted beauties
Hi Gav
but, I think that we might said that;
- all (or roughly) swords or daggers with turquoise decor on hilt or scabbard come at least from Bukhara

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 03:29 PM   #19
AJ1356

I picked up the shashka today so here are some more pictures. Have to mention the it is super light. the overall lenght is about 34inches, and the blade is about 28 inches, the thickness of the blade on the spine is about 3/16 of an inch maybe less and the blade is about as wide as a US quarter. At the tip the blade becomes double edged (ofcourse not as sharp as the main edge) and then comes to a sudden point as show in picture. I don't have better ligghting to take better pictures.
Attached Images

Old 25th July 2011, 10:40 AM   #20
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
... The blade looks much Indian actually!!!! can we see it in full length?
The blade is Indian. Refitted and rehilted, this is why crude rivet and incomplete hilt assembly.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 04:34 PM   #21
AJ1356

one thing i noticed today, which could be a makers mark or something. I was wondering what was the marking on the blade, and then i saw the same thing on the scabard.
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2011, 12:52 PM   #22
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
one thing i noticed today, which could be a makers mark or something. I was wondering what was the marking on the blade, and then i saw the same thing on the scabard.
AJ,

I have seen very similar symbols in Seljuq school architecture so I would say it is presented as something in the way of a tribute to the old Turco-Persian rulers of Central Asia.

I would suggest starting there to look for the symbol in Seljuq and post Seljuq period art work and architecture .

I know I have it in books here but I am just too busy at present to get through my own work to look.

Gav
Old 26th July 2011, 03:45 PM   #23
AJ1356

Gav,
you have been very helpfull and I am very appreciative of that. I do have to do alot of researching to find out more about this certain peice. I think I might have to cough up the money for this one book Islamic Arm and Armour, from what i read it seems to be the source for all these things. And I should continue researching and expanding my limited knowledge. On that all steal sword, I have to see who has it and if I can have it. But there is a much better one I have inherited and as soon as i recieve it I'll post pictures, this one has better history
As far as the symbol, I see that the seljuq one is a double headed eagle, pretty close but not the same. I'll keep looking.
Old 27th July 2011, 01:12 PM   #24
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Gav,
you have been very helpfull and I am very appreciative of that. I do have to do alot of researching to find out more about this certain peice. I think I might have to cough up the money for this one book Islamic Arm and Armour, from what i read it seems to be the source for all these things. And I should continue researching and expanding my limited knowledge. On that all steal sword, I have to see who has it and if I can have it. But there is a much better one I have inherited and as soon as i recieve it I'll post pictures, this one has better history
As far as the symbol, I see that the seljuq one is a double headed eagle, pretty close but not the same. I'll keep looking.

AJ,

The books Islamic Arms and Armour is a very fine and detailed book. If you find you want extracts from it let me know and I'll scan them for you until you can source your own copy.
I look forward to images of your upcoming swords too.

With regards to the Seljuq motif I was thinking off, I took the time tonight to check my references and found that what I was thinking of is not an exact match but only shares loose similarities and can not be considered conclusive but is the closest that comes to my mind; See the image below.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 30th July 2011, 03:54 PM   #25
ariel

Sorry for not jumping into fray earlier, but most of what I wanted to say was already said by other people.

I think the "shashka" in question resembles very much the Afghani examples, and not the Uzbeki ( Bukharan) ones. The configuration of the blade is different ( Uzbeki had what I, for wont of a better word, would call triangular, with wide base and gentle narrowing toward the tip), the rivets are not the Bukharan classic 2x1x2 pattern, the incisions on the bolster are very Afghani, kind of "torn stars", the terminal fitting on the scabbard is very long, again Afghani ( see the one I recently posted).

It walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. I suspect, it is a duck. An Afghani duck:-)

That said, it is a very, very nice Afghani " pseudo-shashka" ( as per Lebedinsky), but perhaps not a primarily fighting example. Afghanis are kind of simple people, not given to artistic embellishments, and prefering their fighting weapons to be crudely and brutally functional. They fought non-stop for centuries and continued to fight long after everybody else enjoyed their yoghurt and melons. The two Afghani shashkas I have are wearing very long and massive blades, and the same is true of Gav's example. This one is more parade, ceremonial, court ( choose your definition), light, shortish etc.

So, my overall impression is that of a rich man's, ceremonial Afghani pseudo-shashka.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 04:47 PM   #26
ariel

Sorry, but I just have noticed something. The photo of your handle, seen from above, with the tang etc.
Is it my impression, that the tang stops short of the "ears', so that there is an empty space between the end of the tang and the point where the cheeks touch each other and before they separate into ears?

If so, I would join Alex's suggestion that a re-hilting took place.
Old 30th July 2011, 05:42 PM   #27
AJ1356

Thanks Ariel, the tang does not go all the towards the end of the hilt, it goes about 80% up the hilt. The blade seems to have seen action, there are more than a handfull small nicks on the blade suggesting contact from another blade. After reading some of your posts I was thinking this would be the second evolution of Afghan shashkas. If in fact it was re-hilted then it makes it more interesting, to see what it might have been... one day I'd love to figure out what that symbol is.
Attached Images

Last edited by AJ1356; 30th July 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 30th July 2011, 06:08 PM   #28
ariel

Nicks on the blade do not unequivocally certify it as a battle weapon. Practice fencing, horseplay or just plain vandalism of the owner and his kids are likely to be equally responsible :-) Also, edge-to-edge contact was not frequent in oriental combat: they used shields for defence or just body movements.

The re-hilting made the sword virtually unsuitable for battle. I guess the original one was just like the usual pseudo-shashka, with long pommel, like in Gav's examples.

The material of the original one is anybody's guess.
Old 30th July 2011, 06:27 PM   #29
AJ1356

Good info, I have loearned lots about shashkas. Last month I had not even heard of them. I felt it might have been rehilted from the begining, but i thought it just might be how the shashkas are made. Either way I like the blade, it is well made, and balalnced.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:27 PM   #30
Martin Lubojacky

My latest acquisition
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote