Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2016, 04:15 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Moro Spear's Mystery Rigging

Here is a Moro spear that is rigged beneath the spear head in a way I have never seen before. Normally when I see rigging like this it is in some way associated with the spear head, but in this case all the rigging is 100% separate from the spear head. The brass ferrule is a couple of inches shorter than usual. Two 9.5inch iron "splints" are held in place by a combination of tight cord and wire binding. They run 3.5inches past the bottom of the brass ferrule and terminate with a tight cord binding.

There is no indication that the spear has ever been broken, though note the crack to haft at the bottom of the ferrule. And, there is no indication that the spear head or ferrule has ever been damaged.

I have a theory on this and am curious to see if any other Moro collectors might agree...so let's hear those ideas!!!

Note the spear head is beautifully laminated, most notably visible in the chiseled center.

Dimensions:
Overall spear length 6.5ft.
Blade 14.25in.
Brass ferrule: 5.75in.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 4th June 2016 at 06:08 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a great example!

I think that with one rigging rod these have been used for a better grip in hand to hand fighting. Would 2 rods be for a better grip and support?

"Inquiring minds want to know....."
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Charles, how many sections in the brass ferrule?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Gustav

I suppose, the bindings are securing the sections of ferrule, perhaps there was some play.

Something similar here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=lukky
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
I suppose, the bindings are securing the sections of ferrule, perhaps there was some play.

Something similar here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=lukky
Would agree with Gustav, it seems to be the only logical explanation.

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
That's why I asked about the ferrule.
Interesting how the bindings are attached; the cord wrap on one side and the wire wrap on both.
A bit puzzling.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 03:15 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

A MAGIC SPEAR POINT ITS TO KEEP THE POINT FROM FLYING AROUND AT NIGHT DOING MISCHIEF . A LITTLE ILLOGICAL TO BALANCE THE LOGICAL
A VERY NICE SPEAR IF IT GIVES YOU TOO MUCH TROUBLE YOU CAN SEND IT TO ME AND I WILL SOON HAVE IT BEHAVING. IT IS A POLITICAL YEAR HERE AND IT COULD COME IN HANDY AS SOME MIGHT NEED A MAGICAL POKE IN THE REAR TO ENCOURAGE DOING THE RIGHT THING.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh Barry, my kris are rattling in their scabbards already! 😈
Old 5th June 2016, 06:24 PM   #9
kai

Cool

Quote:
I think that with one rigging rod these have been used for a better grip in hand to hand fighting. Would 2 rods be for a better grip and support?
I do like Jose's idea! 1 or 2 rods would add positive kinaesthetic control for the orientation of the blade. However, I'd expect the edges to better be in line with the grip (as in holding a sword) rather than horizontal as suggested in this case.
Also if this were an important advantage, wouldn't one expect to see it more often than in a one-off example?

IMVHO, it seems like overkill to fix loose lower ferrule sections (if any) this way: It doesn't look like a makeshift repair and could be done/restored more nicely back home (considering this was a status piece and not a basic run-of-the-mill budiak).

A spear with damaged tang socket or ferrule at its base needs a really sound repair for the heavy spearhead tang being stable (without risk of breaking loose in a fight). While we have seen native repairs for Moro pieces holding up well, this does seem a bit of a stretch to me...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 09:22 PM   #10
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I do like Jose's idea! 1 or 2 rods would add positive kinaesthetic control for the orientation of the blade. However, I'd expect the edges to better be in line with the grip (as in holding a sword) rather than horizontal as suggested in this case.
Also if this were an important advantage, wouldn't one expect to see it more often than in a one-off example?
If it was for grip (either improved grippiness or sensing the blade orientation), I'd expect it to be further down the haft. If you wield the spear one-handed (with a shield), you'll hold it at around the centre of mass/balance - hopefully further down than this, or you'd have a problem with reach. If you wield the spear two handed, you'll hold it closer to the butt. Either way, your hands shouldn't be on this binding.
Attached Images

Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 09:38 PM   #11
Gustav

Well Kai, in both cases we seem to have a ferrule (on spear) or hilt (on Kris) consisting of many segments.

A grip at this place near the spear point would be VERY impractical indeed.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 12:19 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

My original thoughts came from similar examples with 1 rod in a similar construction made for that type of use.

Now for keeping the ferrule together, I would not expect so much construction. Perhaps there is more damage than meets the eye for this type of stronger than unusual and elaborate construction. That too would make sense to me.

Also the weight of the extra work moves the balance forward and not in the middle.