Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st March 2008, 03:14 AM   #1
knife7knut

Default A couple of new ones for me...........

Hello all:
Ray Smith here.I posted this over in the general forum in error(haven't been on in awhile)and David referred me here.Hope this is the correct area to post.
I came by these two today for a very reasonable amount of money.Normally my edged tool collecting is more toward the unusual of late and I rarely come across items such as these.
Upon examination I noted that the ferrule(my terminology;I apologize for not knowing the correct one)between the blade and handle was installed upside down and then realized that whomever had done this had also managed to install the handle upside down as well! also someone had inadvertantly tried to put the incorrect knife in the sheath.
I attempted to gently remove the handle using a small hammer handle to strike the back of the blade whilst holding the handle in hand but to no avail.I'm hoping the genius who perpetrated this didn't use an adhesive to secure the handle.
Anyway I was going to take some closeup shots outside today but there was a rain/snow mix falling so that idea was shelved.I will try and supply some better photographs tomorrow.I tried using a flash as I couldn't get any decent detail without it.What appears to be paint in the handle carving is actually dust illuminated by the flash.
So herewith I offer up these pictures for your consideration.I am essentially interested in determining their approximate age;I am not really interested in a value as they will be staying with me.Thank you for your time.
Cheers
Ray Smith
Attached Images

knife7knut is offline   Reply With Quote