Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Aslan Paladin

Default Newly Acquired Ivory Hilt Sudanese Arm Dagger

I have always wanted to have a fine specimen of a Sudanese arm dagger, specially one with an ivory pommel or with silver bling, but NZ's restriction on importation of daggers has always made me hesitant to get one. So i was pleasantly surprised when one such dagger was offered in a local auction site. And the hilt was entirely made of ivory! I have seen plenty of this dagger with ivory pommels that usually date from the mid 20th century but I have only seen a handful of this type with a full ivory hilt. Could anyone tell me the most likely date for this Sudanese arm dagger? Thanks in advance for any comments.
Attached Images

Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 10:59 PM   #2
G. Mansfield

You have gotten very lucky with this dagger as it is a fine example! I believe these types judging from the blade forging and hilt style as coming from the southern Sudan rather than the typical Omdurman or Khartoum styles frequently seen. As one who collects these arms from Sudan and having the opportunity to own a few, I'm leaning toward early 1900s-20s but I am no expert either. I recently just missed this expensive beauty composed of rhino originating from the same general area. Great catch!

Best,
-Geoff
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 10:33 AM   #3
mariusgmioc

Yes, very nice example! Congratulations!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote