Old 23rd October 2016, 03:48 AM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default THE WAR HORSE.

The War Horse.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 04:01 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Perhaps no other artwork quite mirrors the bravery of the picture painted of Waterloo ... Such has been the story of The War Horse that I thought to attempt a thread in honour of that amazing creature...and the bond of friendship with the brave troopers it carried into battle. Not only does the artist capture the essence of war in those days but also the ethnographic weaponry and equipment as it hurtles headlong into combat...at its most frightening.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 23rd October 2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 23rd October 2016, 04:17 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

A couple more and a slight pause ...
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Please see http://www.hexapolis.com/2014/10/09/...t-the-mongols/ since the next part is about The Mongols.
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2016, 07:06 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

IT COULD COST A FORTUNE FOR A GOOD WAR HORSE AND ITS TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT. SOME WERE TAUGHT TO RIDE, CHARGE AND MANEUVER AS A GROUP. SOME WERE TAUGHT TO ACTUALLY FIGHT BY KICKING TRAMPLING AND BITING AND MIGHT EVEN CONTINUE THE FIGHT AFTER THEY LOST A RIDER. SOME WORE NO ARMOR SOME VERY LITTLE AND SOME HEAVY ARMOR. THIS REQUIRED A LOT MORE TRAINING AND I SUSPECT THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO SPECIALIZED IN ALL FORMS OF TRAINING AND WERE WELL PAID. MAKING THE TACK AND ARMOR WAS ALSO A PROFITABLE BUSINESS SO THE WAR HORSE WAS GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY. SOME HORSE ARMOR HAD A SPIKE OR HORN ON THE FOREHEAD IT WAS LIKELY THERE TO INSPIRE FEAR. A WILD HORSE IS SCARY ENOUGH BUT ARMOR CAN HEIGHTEN THE ASPECT. IT'S POSSIBLE THEY COULD HAVE BEEN TAUGHT TO USE THE HORN BUT IT IS UNLIKELY UNLESS THEY WERE A UNICORN. "GRIN" HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES.
#1. THE WARWICK SHAFFRON THE OLDEST SURVIVING MEDIEVAL HORSE HEAD ARMOR SURVIVING.
#2. & #3. 1550 KING SIGISMUND THE SECOND'S ARMOR POLAND, ROYAL ARMORY STOCKHOLM
#4. 1545 HORSE ARMOR
#5. & #6. TWO EXAMPLES OF HORSE ARMOR
#7. OLD DRAWING OF THE BATTLE OF ASKALON IN 1099
#8. & #9. TWO MORE EXAMPLES
#10. HENRY OF FRANCE ARMOR
#11. HORSE ARMOR HEAD PIECE WITH SPIKE
#12. ITALIAN CHAMFRON
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:21 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

ORIENTAL HORSE ARMOR
#1. MONGOL ARMOR
#2. NOT KNOWN
#3. & #4. JAPANESE SAMURAI ARMOR ONE A DRAGONS FACE.
#5. PATTERNS OF VARIOUS TYPES OF MAIL ARMOR.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a fascinating topic and not often covered directly as arms and armour are discussed, but the horse was throughout history very much a 'weapon'.
The horse was not only means of transport, but in many cases trained to even become a combatant in battle, such as with the famed Lippizaner stallions.

Ibrahiim, thank you for posting the dramatic painting of the charge of the Royal Scots Greys at Waterloo by Lady Butler, known as "Scotland Forever".
This famous charge, in which Napoleon referred to the 'Greys' as they rode headlong into immortality, as 'the finest cavalry in Europe', has been greatly studied and key in military history.

These units of heavy cavalry became in military battle order, 'shock action' in the opening of pitched battle between armies, intended to break and decimate ranks prior to use of the light cavalry units in more strategic tactical attacks. Before this, mounted troops were typically 'dragoons', which were effectively mounted infantry who rode to battle location, dismounted and fought accordingly. Meanwhile, other units fought mounted, such as the famed Polish 'winged hussars' , though the actual use of the 'wings' feature in combat has been disputed.

One of my favorite recollections in researches was in 1996, when deeply involved in studying British cavalry in India, I was able to meet with Brig. Francis Ingall, who led one of the number of 'last' mounted cavalry charges of the 20th century . This was in 1931 in plains areas in the Khyber Agency of the Northwest Frontier, when he was a subaltern with the 6th Bengal Lancers (Duke of Connaughts Own).
He had written his autobiography, "Last of the Bengal Lancers" (1988) which described these events.

As we talked in his home in Sonoma, Calif. and he showed me swords from these times including the M1912 sword he carried in the charge, he would look wistfully at the huge portrait in a place of honor over the fireplace.
It was of his 'faithful charger', named Eagerheart, and I thought perfectly recalled the bond between man and horse as they faced battle together.

While from a different context, that same bond is well portrayed in the movie "Lonely are the Brave", with Kirk Douglas. Though not a 'war horse' and about a cowboy and his horse as the modern world encroaches into their wilderness.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:08 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Default New Zealand Mounted Troops

Photos from my Great Grandfathers collection... He was The Press Newspaper rep at the time, and luckily most of his photos are preserved.
Photos show Boer War era New Zealand mounted troops. Also included a pic of the Parade honouring the visit to New Zealand of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall in 1907.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Bob A

The Spanish Riding School maintains a tradition of very high-level schooling of the horse. While the emphasis is on dressage and grace, it is important to understand that many of the maneuvers taught are intended to be useful in combat.

I suspect they focus on stallions for size, but in my limited experience mares are more suited for combat, or at least stealth operations, as they are less prone to distraction my the scent of estrus. Also, I've always been more readily able to bond with a female; in my experience, human females are more inclined toward working with and developing a bond with stallions. Of course, this is far from chiseled in stone.

Link to Spanish Riding School: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Riding_School

At any rate, thanks for the thread, as the horse has played a major part in human combat and weapons systems for several thousand years, and may yet have a role to play in the foreseeable future.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This is a fascinating topic and not often covered directly as arms and armour are discussed, but the horse was throughout history very much a 'weapon'.
The horse was not only means of transport, but in many cases trained to even become a combatant in battle, such as with the famed Lippizaner stallions.

Ibrahiim, thank you for posting the dramatic painting of the charge of the Royal Scots Greys at Waterloo by Lady Butler, known as "Scotland Forever".
This famous charge, in which Napoleon referred to the 'Greys' as they rode headlong into immortality, as 'the finest cavalry in Europe', has been greatly studied and key in military history.

These units of heavy cavalry became in military battle order, 'shock action' in the opening of pitched battle between armies, intended to break and decimate ranks prior to use of the light cavalry units in more strategic tactical attacks. Before this, mounted troops were typically 'dragoons', which were effectively mounted infantry who rode to battle location, dismounted and fought accordingly. Meanwhile, other units fought mounted, such as the famed Polish 'winged hussars' , though the actual use of the 'wings' feature in combat has been disputed.

One of my favorite recollections in researches was in 1996, when deeply involved in studying British cavalry in India, I was able to meet with Brig. Francis Ingall, who led one of the number of 'last' mounted cavalry charges of the 20th century . This was in 1931 in plains areas in the Khyber Agency of the Northwest Frontier, when he was a subaltern with the 6th Bengal Lancers (Duke of Connaughts Own).
He had written his autobiography, "Last of the Bengal Lancers" (1988) which described these events.

As we talked in his home in Sonoma, Calif. and he showed me swords from these times including the M1912 sword he carried in the charge, he would look wistfully at the huge portrait in a place of honor over the fireplace.
It was of his 'faithful charger', named Eagerheart, and I thought perfectly recalled the bond between man and horse as they faced battle together.

While from a different context, that same bond is well portrayed in the movie "Lonely are the Brave", with Kirk Douglas. Though not a 'war horse' and about a cowboy and his horse as the modern world encroaches into their wilderness.
Thank you Jim for that important anecdote on the Bengal Lancers and Brig. Francis Ingall ...I hope I can include some pictures of that Regiment later but as it happens I have some stirring pictures of the War Horse of North America which I hope people can become equally inspired about as I know you are...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The Bengal Lancers.
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Norman McCormick

Hi,
I picked up this image a while ago and thought it may be of interest on this thread. A contemporary aquatinted print by Colnaghi & Co., 23 Cockspur Street, London., printed 1st Dec 1813 entitled 'A PRIVATE of the 2D. or ROYAL NORTH BRITISH DRAGOONS (GREYS). It clearly shows the British Heavy Cavalry Troopers sword of the period i.e. the 1796 H.C. Troopers sword. This regiment, as you know, is more commonly known as the 'Scots Greys' and best known for their famous charge and capture of a French Eagle at Waterloo by Sgt., later Ensign Ewart as portrayed in the first painting in this thread.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 11:04 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
I picked up this image a while ago and thought it may be of interest on this thread. A contemporary aquatinted print by Colnaghi & Co., 23 Cockspur Street, London., printed 1st Dec 1813 entitled 'A PRIVATE of the 2D. or ROYAL NORTH BRITISH DRAGOONS (GREYS). It clearly shows the British Heavy Cavalry Troopers sword of the period i.e. the 1796 H.C. Troopers sword. This regiment, as you know, is more commonly known as the 'Scots Greys' and best known for their famous charge and capture of a French Eagle at Waterloo by Sgt., later Ensign Ewart as portrayed in the first painting in this thread.
Regards,
Norman.
Hello Norman,
At the famous charge they could do no more than canter into battle because of the rough ground but listen to it from the enemies viewpoint:

Quote" Even without attacking at a full gallop, the weight of the Scots Greys charge proved to be irresistible for the French column pressing Pack's Brigade. As Captain Duthilt, who was present with de Marcognet's 3rd Division, wrote of the Scots Greys charge:

Just as I was pushing one of our men back into the ranks I saw him fall at my feet from a sabre slash. I turned round instantly – to see English cavalry forcing their way into our midst and hacking us to pieces. Just as it is difficult, if not impossible, for the best cavalry to break into infantry who are formed into squares and who defend themselves with coolness and daring, so it is true that once the ranks have been penetrated, then resistance is useless and nothing remains for the cavalry to do but to slaughter at almost no risk to themselves.

This what happened, in vain our poor fellows stood up and stretched out their arms; they could not reach far enough to bayonet these cavalrymen mounted on powerful horses, and the few shots fired in chaotic melee were just as fatal to our own men as to the English. And so we found ourselves defenceless against a relentless enemy who, in the intoxication of battle, sabred even our drummers and fifers without mercy". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 25th October 2016, 12:32 AM   #14
scinde

Default Cavalry horses

Some years back, I had the pleasure of meeting Trevor Lancelot Perry, a retired Anglo-Indian Colonel of the Indian Army, who had moved to Australia after he left the Army. His earlier regiment was the 3rd Cavalry however, he had the honour of raising the 64th Cavalry ( 1966) which was the last regiment of the post 1947 Indian Army to be called "Cavalry".

During the small number of occasions when we met, we talked on the subjects of Shikar, swords and uniforms etc., but in line with the topic of this thread, he told me that one of the saddest days he remembered, was the occasion when they were all ordered out on parade to shoot their horses, which were by then superfluous to the needs of an armoured corps.

Such is progress.

Colonel Perry died in India whilst attending regimental reunion.
scinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 10:39 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinde
Some years back, I had the pleasure of meeting Trevor Lancelot Perry, a retired Anglo-Indian Colonel of the Indian Army, who had moved to Australia after he left the Army. His earlier regiment was the 3rd Cavalry however, he had the honour of raising the 64th Cavalry ( 1966) which was the last regiment of the post 1947 Indian Army to be called "Cavalry".

During the small number of occasions when we met, we talked on the subjects of Shikar, swords and uniforms etc., but in line with the topic of this thread, he told me that one of the saddest days he remembered, was the occasion when they were all ordered out on parade to shoot their horses, which were by then superfluous to the needs of an armoured corps.

Such is progress.

Colonel Perry died in India whilst attending regimental reunion.
Salaams Scinde, That is an incredible vignette and how sad that must have been ..

Wikipedia has his details and I Quote" 64th Cavalry is an armoured regiment which is part of the Armoured Corps of the Indian Army. After the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War, a number of armoured regiments were raised for the Indian Army, of which 64 Cavalry was the first. However, it was the last to use the epithet of cavalry, all subsequent regiments were named armoured regiments instead. It was raised in Babina on 31 March 1966 by Lt Col Trevor Lancelot Perry, a former Indian Air Force pilot, with a class composition of Sikhs, Jats and Rajputs." Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 26th October 2016, 11:38 AM   #16
russel

I don't have much to contribute here, other than to recommend:

The Medieval Warhorse - From Byzantium to the Crusades. Ann Hyland, 1996

Copies can be had fairly cheaply from the usual sources. It has been years since I read it, but I recall being rather impressed by the author's scholarship.
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 12:07 PM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Sounds like an excellent reference...thanks. See https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Warh.../dp/1856279901
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 26th October 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 26th October 2016, 06:57 PM   #18
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Not so exciting as some fancy paintings but ... the real thing.
A photograph of a cavalry charge by the Moçamedes dragoons against the Cuamatas (Angola) in 1907.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 10:20 PM   #19
Norman McCormick

Hi Ibrahiim,
The description of the carnage resulting from the charge of the Sots Greys is both vivid and chilling. I am lucky enough to have a period Heavy Cavalry Troopers sword of the type used by the Greys at Waterloo. To be honest it's not much more than a giant meat cleaver, lighter and more manoeuvrable than first appearances but a big meat chopper none the less so the description seems apt. I attach two more images of valiant horse warriors, the famed Polish Winged Hussars whose greatest moment was the charge that finally broke the Siege of Vienna 1683 and the Light Brigade of Crimea fame whose charge at Russian gun emplacements 1854 was the result of arrogance and mistakes.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote