Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th October 2006, 06:02 AM   #1
fenlander

Default Taoist and Chinese swords

I am an Englishman now livng in Taiwan. I would like to get a book that specializes in Chinese arms and armour. As well as one that includes Taoist weapons and ceremonial swords and knives etc. Are there any good books around on this subject as I would like to keep my eyes open for interesting finds; as I often visit local temples and places of historical interest ?
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
athena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlander
I am an Englishman now livng in Taiwan. I would like to get a book that specializes in Chinese arms and armour. As well as one that includes Taoist weapons and ceremonial swords and knives etc. Are there any good books around on this subject as I would like to keep my eyes open for interesting finds; as I often visit local temples and places of historical interest ?
Huangchao Liqi Tushi is a good book. And there are several other good books. Can you read Chinese?
athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Mark

Scott Rodell's book "Chinese Swordsmanship: The Yang Family Taiji Jian Tradition" might be worth a look.
http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Swords...801711?ie=UTF8
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Philip

Default Taoism and swords

As you are no doubt aware, the double edged sword (jian) is a potent symbol in Taoist iconography, as an implement for vanquishing evil and marshalling supernatural forces. Three outstanding and rare Taoist ritual swords of the Ming and Qing are illus. and described at length in the superbly annotated catalog, TAOISM AND THE ARTS OF CHINA (Stephen Little/Shawn Eichman, eds), The Art Institute of Chicago, 2000). One of them has an inscription identical to that on a Sino-Korean jian in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which I am discussing in my upcoming book on dao and jian.

The book TAOISM... also contains several paintings, mostly Ming but also some Yuan and Qing works, that depict jian being held or wielded. This graphic material is invaluable for the study of the weapon's development between the Yuan and Ming periods, from which few examples survive in their original mountings. This book is a "must" for anyone interested in jian development, and ritual swords in particular.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
fenlander

Default Thanks so much

Thank you so much. That is fantastic information, I will look for those books.
Especially Taoism and the Arts of China. Brilliant.

Regards

Douglas
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote