Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2006, 09:38 AM   #31
Valjhun

Thanks to all of you for the debate. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any litterature about dha, in english?

2. Andrew and the others, How do I polish my sword? Any reccomendations?
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 01:54 PM   #32
Andrew

Valjhun, the dearth of English-language writings on these weapons is precisely what has fed my interest in them. These fora (including the old archives) are probably the best source of information at the moment. Fortunately, there has been a great deal of discussion here. Unfortunately, much of it is speculation and conjecture as we have tried to puzzle and learn together. Our understanding has improved however and, I'm hopeful, will continue to do so with the assistance of folks like Puff and Titus who bring new information and perspectives to the table.

On the rare occasion I polish a sword, I start with Scotch-brite pads and work my way up through different grades (course to fine) of sandpaper until I acheive the finish I'm looking for. I'm not very proficient at this, so I don't do it on swords of any real intrinsic or monetary value. Philip Tom, a member here, is an excellect polisher, however.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 04:06 PM   #33
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
By means of Shan/Metro classification (I 'm quite newbie for your western system ). Do I use it in context? Feel free to correct me
Actually, Puff, I was hoping you'd correct me!

That "Metro" designation is old and, frankly, no longer applicable. Several years ago, we were struggling to classify different forms of dha/darb along ethnic/tribal lines, and we came up with broad classifications of "Shan", "Kachin", "Montagnard", etc. The terms "metro" and "tribal" were used to differentiate between the fancier, better made swords and more pedestrian weapons.

Our understanding has changed and these categories don't really apply very well now, with the possible exception of Kachin and Montagnard.

I'm hoping you'll help us with this.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 04:57 PM   #34
katana

Even though I possess no knowledge of Dhabs /Dha's, I think your new acquisition looks fantastic. You can almost see how well balanced it is, I also like the fact it is unfettered with un-necessary adornment and seems purely functional and in that sense it has an 'honesty' about it. It is a shame that the blade has been badly scratched, polishing them out will be labourious. I have been told that using a 'polishing mop' (drill attachment) can help to provide an excellent finish, but must be used with caution and plenty of lubrication. This is because of heat build up, (due to friction) which can cause localised dis-colouring.
Interesting thread, I think I am going to have to start searching for one myself......... and I'm blaming all of you, your enthusiasm is contagious.
Still I'd rather get 'Dha fever' than bird flu??!

Last edited by katana; 17th March 2006 at 05:10 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 06:44 PM   #35
Mark

As Andrew said, there is almost nothing in English written about dha & daab. Here are mentions of them, mostly from the esthetic point of view, in a few books. I have found one source that is pretty good regarding late-19th century manufacturing techniques, and there is a good article by Francis Boyd in Blade magazine about present-day methods used in Thailand. Here is a list of the most substantial sources about dha/daab that I have found:

Bell, A Monograph on Iron & Steel Work in Burma, Super. Gov't Printing, Rangoon (1907);

Egerton, An Illustrated Handbook of Indian Arms, London (1880) (reprinted by White Lotus Press, Bangkok, 1986) (ISBN 974-87456-1-9) - be sure to get the second edition, which includes Burma;

Ferrars & Ferrars, Burma, Sampson Law Marston & Co., London (1908) (it has been reprinted recently, though);

Fraser-Lu, Burmese Crafts, Past and Present, Oxford Univ. Press, 1994 (ISBN 0-19-588608-9)

Punjabhan, Naengnoi, Silverware in Thailand, Rengrom Publishing, Bangkok (1991) (ISBN 9748869563);

Stone, A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor, Jack Brussel, New York (1934) (recently reprinted) (ISBN 0-517-065878);

That's about it, other than passing reference to the use of dha here and there. With the exception of Bell and Ferrars, all are derivative and don't really give a whole lot of information. The Fraser-Lu and Punjabhan books have some very nice photos, however. Historical photographs and illustrations showing people of various ethnic group with the weapons have been of some help, too.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 10:33 PM   #36
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

This bronze recently closed at auction .
I almost contacted the 'Dhafia' , but time was short .........
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 04:38 AM   #37
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Great little bronze Rick -- did you get it?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 02:04 PM   #38
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

What do I look like ; some kind of dha collector !?!

No , I didn't bid ; I'm not registered with this auction house and I must scrimp and save these days .

I just thought you addicts might want to have a look .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote