Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th February 2016, 10:46 AM   #1
sirupate

Default 2016 Gurkha Museum visit with Jerry

Had a super day at the GM, it was good to see a couple of old friends Gavin (the curator) and Mergh Rai and discuss with Gavin various aspects of kukri supply, as well as to do some research.
I was also able to get Jerry to verify and confirm handle type of the issued kukri (in the 'Official' picture) of Gobarsing of the 1/4th Gurkhas in Burma in WW2, which is of the ring/banded with rivet style of the same type in the picture of the mannequined Gurkha
Attached Images

Last edited by sirupate; 4th February 2016 at 11:32 AM.
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 10:51 AM   #2
sirupate

I had a chance to browse through some of Villiers-Stuarts marvellous photographic records of his battalion and regiment
Attached Images

Old 4th February 2016, 10:54 AM   #3
sirupate

Some of the displays
Attached Images

Old 4th February 2016, 11:03 AM   #4
sirupate

Some of the kukri
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2016, 01:22 PM   #5
sirupate

Hi guys, I took this picture of the below sword at the GM on the recent visit, which was potentially carried by Officers of the 8th Assam Rifles, later 6th GR C.1830, is it based on the French sabres of the same period? or another European's countries sabre?
Thanks in advance Simon
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2016, 06:36 AM   #6
estcrh

It is interesting to see the Afghan choora and Tibetan weapons in the display.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 11:15 AM   #7
sirupate

They are nicely made too Estcrh, glad you like them
Old 17th February 2016, 12:38 PM   #8
sirupate

I managed to get a slightly better view of the Tibetan swords Estcrh
Attached Images

Old 17th February 2016, 04:45 PM   #9
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
Hi guys, I took this picture of the below sword at the GM on the recent visit, which was potentially carried by Officers of the 8th Assam Rifles, later 6th GR C.1830, is it based on the French sabres of the same period? or another European's countries sabre?
Thanks in advance Simon
It does indeed look similar to the French AN XI cavalry sword. The Russians based their M1827 on the French pattern, and other European countries probably copied it as well. Posting the picture in the European section of the forum will probably produce more comments, as the folks there are a lot more knowledgeable than me.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 05:48 PM   #10
sirupate

Many thanks Teodor, I already have as the post was slipping into obscurity, but once again many thanks for the reply and answer
Old 24th March 2016, 03:00 AM   #11
estcrh

Any info on this type of hilt, I have seen it on both kora and kukri with dates ranging from the 19th to 20th century.
Attached Images

Old 24th March 2016, 09:48 PM   #12
dennee

Very nice. Was there any provenance info on the labels for the Bhutanese swords? That is, the reason why they are in a Gurkha collection? Are they captures from the Younghusband expedition, for instance?

The short sword is quite interesting. Ones of that length usually seem to be working knives without such quality fittings.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 06:31 AM   #13
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennee
Very nice. Was there any provenance info on the labels for the Bhutanese swords? That is, the reason why they are in a Gurkha collection? Are they captures from the Younghusband expedition, for instance?

The short sword is quite interesting. Ones of that length usually seem to be working knives without such quality fittings.
The description appears to say...."Gurkha kukri, Tibetian swords and Pathan knives presented to Field Marshal Archibald Percival Wavell while viceroy of India 1947". Someone will have to fill in the details as to why they ended up in this particular museum.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2016, 12:19 PM   #14
sirupate

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Any info on this type of hilt, I have seen it on both kora and kukri with dates ranging from the 19th to 20th century.
That type of hilt on khunda and kukri is quite rare in terms of Nepal, why it was put on Khunda I do not know, as its primary function was one of use in sacrificial duties, whether it was copied from Tulwar, or a Sikh influence etc again I am sorry to say I don't know
The earliest I have seen that type of hilt on kukri is from the Palpa war in 1806 pictures attached from my visit in 2009
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2016, 12:26 PM   #15
sirupate

Jung Bahadur Rana (1817-1877), in the national Museum all the khunda have the classic handle as per this picture
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2016, 12:53 PM   #16
sirupate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennee

I'm afraid I don't have any info about why the Viceroy was presented the swords etc. or why they ended up in the GM. But Wavell being the Viceroy would have been presented all sorts of stuff. Perhaps his close association with Slim was the reason the swords etc. ended up in the GM, but I honestly do not know.
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2018, 06:20 PM   #17
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Wondering if anyone knows more about kora blades with these hilts. I have seen them listed as 'kharga' (such as
here ), but don't know much about the influences of these hilts (that look decidedly European rather than indigenous)
I stumbled upon one and picked it up for nearly nothing, so I didn't do much research beforehand.
Thoughts?
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 09:41 PM   #18
Jens Nordlunde

Shadye78, if you really want to know more about these blades, you should look at South India - centuries back.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 10:15 PM   #19
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Shadye78, if you really want to know more about these blades, you should look at South India - centuries back.
Thanks, Jens!
Are you referencing the ayudha katti from around Karnataka? I am always curious about origin of weapon forms, but in this case, I was mostly concerned with determining when kora blades were mounted in these gilts, and if that points to a specific place of origin for these specific weapons.
Still, if you have info on the origin of the kids and related blades, I'm curious to hear more
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 09:30 PM   #20
Jens Nordlunde

Koras were used in the south very early, and so were kukris.
Why they stopped using them is unknown to me, but maybe you can research it.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote