Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th March 2021, 11:37 AM   #15
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... It is rather like the study of Masonic swords and regalia in the 'Western' sense...
Another theme that is not one of my favorites .

Quote:
... it is true that this metal would not deflect a bullet of high velocity, it must be remembered that in the 19th century, black powder rounds were of low velocity. In many instances, rounds barely penetrated the target owing to many circumstances, quality and condition of powder, improper loading etc...
Distance is the business, Jim, distance. At close range, even the weakest of powders may boost a projectile strongly enough to penetrate in a mild wall. Remember that already in earlier centuries the smith had to shoot a test round at the cuirasses plate, to ensure its bullet resistence to customers.

Quote:
... into the debate on these ballistics issues of the effectiveness of these firearms used in these regions in the 19th century is beyond the scope of this discussion, but certainly pertinent with respect to my observation...
I'd say it is within scope indeed, as the consistency of the iron plate in Panoleon's cuirass will help pondering on whether such is an operational item or a replica ... symbolic or theatrical.
... Reason why i have asked him to tell us the weight of his example, to which he will hopefully answer.

Quote:
... presence of the Christian cross is simply noted to recognize the West African likelihood of the European styled 'cuirass' (made from reptile hide) as seen often in their material culture there. This feature is also seen in the stylized interpretations of European swords with these on the quillon terminals (usually regarded as Congolese but the influence was from Portuguese traders in West Africa). It has been my understanding that these crosses were seen more in a magic or power sense than any sort of religious quantification...
Why not assuming that, if the cross symbol was good enough to make African natives believe that this had magic powers like turning them imortal, why then also not assuming that European (Portuguese) natives originally carry such believe with them and so transferred it to their hosts ? This is rather a complex subject, which i confess to be without knowledge. One thing is to believe that a material testimony of faith will validate our doings, as in the name of God's, like with a credential to rest in peace when we die (heaven and all), the other is that we will not die when we carry them. A further hypothesis would contemplate that, in so many cases, the bearer enjoys a determined motif (or gadget) because it is different, coming from a different world. Don't we all ? less esoteric but praticable.
Have a nice weekend, Jim .

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote